CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Detangling Conundrum

+5
krazy coils
elleeccentric
Lynnieluve
HappyCurly
Electrum
9 posters

Go down

The Detangling Conundrum Empty The Detangling Conundrum

Post by Electrum 17th July 2010, 1:47 am

Hey everyone. My transitioning hair (5 months) has lots of different textures in it. One of such textures it a patch at the very top of my head with coily, fragile, hard to comb hair. In the last 3 months, my detangling attempts have been nearly fruitless. I experience twice as much breakage in this area than any other section of hair-- and even worse, my detangling only perpetuates the issue.
Let me say that I have attempted all types of remedies; i.e. detangling in the shower (in sections), using oil with conditioner to detangle, working my way down the size of combs(shower comb--> medium sized comb---> smaller sized comb), using a denman, etc. I literally can't comb from root to tip in this area no matter how long I work on detangling this section. Most nights I give up halfway through (usually 7-8 mins.) after seeing the insane number of hairs come out in my combs. Yet if I half assedly detangle I end up with matting. Rolling Eyes
I'm pretty much in a place of acceptance that this area of my hair will never be quite as right as the rest due to being unmanageable. My question is, is it better(healthier?) to entirely detangle this patch weakened hairs and breakage be damned-- or to just go through it with my shower comb and 'let it do it's thing' no matter the tangles or matting?
Electrum
Electrum

Back to top Go down

The Detangling Conundrum Empty Re: The Detangling Conundrum

Post by HappyCurly 17th July 2010, 12:40 pm

this is the state of affairs on my entire head, so i hope someone replies soon.

i've found that when i let it dry without thoroughly detangling, more hair breaks off.

i usually just use a wide tooth comb; i don't go smaller and smaller with teh combs. i've never tried a brush. maybe continue to detangle, but don't do it with little combs ever?? i don't know.

if it is just a patch, can you finger detangle? that way you can pull the strands through the knots slowly?

can you wear it in styles that don't allow it to tangle as much? maybe in a roller set, with the hair set on big rollers? maybe with that you could comb it every day. i don't know yet, haven't tried it, but want to. or in twists or braids all week, with only your own hair? i don't know if that works or not for keeping tangles at bay.

washing in sections also helps with avoiding tangles.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

The Detangling Conundrum Empty Re: The Detangling Conundrum

Post by Lynnieluve 17th July 2010, 1:15 pm

Electrum wrote: I literally can't comb from root to tip in this area no matter how long I work on detangling this section.

^^^This is the problem. You should detangle your hair in sections, loaded with conditioner from tip to roots (from the ends to the scalp).

Check out this video