CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does it make a difference if you use "blacker" hair products?

5 posters

Go down

Does it make a difference if you use "blacker" hair products? Empty Does it make a difference if you use "blacker" hair products?

Post by QuirkyCurly 3rd July 2010, 10:20 pm

Hello All!

I have a quick and simple question: does it make a difference if you use products that are more so geared toward black people? I use commercial products such as herbal essences and tresemme and i love them! But my mother thinks otherwise.. Mad Mad

She thinks I need to go to more "black" beauty supply stores instead of going to white stores to get my hair products. I do live in the suburbs and I have to go to the "hood" in order to get there lol. I don't think it makes a difference but apparently she does. She's always trying to remind me that I'm black and I need to stop trying to be something I'm not. Its quite annoying....grrrrrr

In my defense, is there any point I can use against this small-minded theory? confused

Thanks!!
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Does it make a difference if you use "blacker" hair products? Empty Re: Does it make a difference if you use "blacker" hair products?

Post by CurlyChefRobin 3rd July 2010, 10:29 pm

I've only been natural for 4 months but I'm more concerned about ingredients than "products". I try to purchase products that are good for my hair and there are several lists on this site that gives good guidelines.

My personal opinion is that many "black" products are not geared towards natural hair and many "white" products are the same, so I just look at the ingredients and don't get concerned with all the labels.

Another thing to remember is that what works for one head of hair may not work for others.

An additional thought - most of the natural products don't market to a specific ethnicity but to people who are concerned with ingredients and taking care of their hair. Just a thought [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

http://www.cookingwithcareonline.com

Back to top Go down

Does it make a difference if you use "blacker" hair products? Empty Re: Does it make a difference if you use "blacker" hair products?

Post by DvaAuNaturel 3rd July 2010, 11:52 pm

I look at ingredients. More often than not I've noticed the products targeted for marketing to African-Americans have mineral oil or petroleum.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 4th July 2010, 12:02 am

I also look at ingredients when buying products and not who the product is marketed to. The majority of products which are marketed towards african-american people and sold in black beauty supply stores are not even owned by african-americans anymore.

For example L'oreal which sells Garnier Fruictus owns Soft Sheen Carson which sells Dark n Lovely and Optimum products which are marketed towards african-americans.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 4th July 2010, 12:39 am

Buy based on ingredients, and it doesn't matter who it's geared to.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 4th July 2010, 12:39 am

DvaAuNaturel wrote:I look at ingredients. More often than not I've noticed the products targeted for marketing to African-Americans have mineral oil or petroleum.

Exactly.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down