CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do I style my Blow-dried hair?

3 posters

Go down

How do I style my Blow-dried hair? Empty How do I style my Blow-dried hair?

Post by wyldhoney 22nd June 2010, 10:31 am

Help!

I know this is a strange question, but I honestly don't know what to do with my hair!

Last night I got home late, so I didn't have time to twist. Here's what I did:

Clarify with Baking Soda and cheap conditioner
DC with GF S&S, castor and coconut oils
Heat cap for 30 mins
Rinse out
ACV Rinse

Then I blowdried on low heat, and my hair was awesome! Soft and fluffy, a little cloudy halo. I threw those in some two strand flat twists, but I didn't use any product. All the products I have (gel, conditioner, curl cream) are water based and I didn't want any shrinkage.

When I woke up this morning and took down the flat twists they were too fluffy and undefined for me to wear to work, so I just wrestled my hair into a side bun and gelled down the sides.

I'd really like some suggestions as to what I can do with it when I get home, and what kind of products I can use to keep it moisturized while preventing it from shrinking up! It's already a thunderstorm kinda day, so I want to keep as much length as possible.

HELP! bounce
wyldhoney
wyldhoney

Back to top Go down

How do I style my Blow-dried hair? Empty Re: How do I style my Blow-dried hair?

Post by ChrsLvsBks 22nd June 2010, 10:46 am

You could try to mix the castor and coconut oils and apply them to your hair before twisting or braiding. I think braids will provide more texture while twists will provide more volume. If you are looking for definition, braids are your best bet. The small the more defined.

Also check your products and see if you have shea-based, oil-based or aloe-based products. They can help combat shrinkage.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wyldhoney 22nd June 2010, 10:52 am

Thanks for the advice, Chrs!

Will my hair be okay to style with the gel on it from this morning? I don't want to have to wash it out and start over!

Also, will blowdrying on low once a week or once every two weeks put me at risk of heat damage? I really love the stretched result (no-heat stretching doesn't work very well since my hair is so coily and loves to shrink) but I don't want to risk any damage. I wonder if the oils can serve as a heat protectant.
wyldhoney
wyldhoney

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 22nd June 2010, 11:14 am

@Wyldhoney I am sooo gonna try this option to see how it works for my hair!!!!Im loving this post and actually considered doing this. I think that my hair and my styles would be sooooooo much better if my hair was stretched by blow drying it.. My hair seems the same way and loves to shrink and even when I do my braid outs on wet hair the hair is not completely strecthed so it still looks funnyish but cute...LOL..Stalking this post also!!!
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by wyldhoney 22nd June 2010, 11:28 am

@Laleepop can you believe this was accidental? I just didn't want the hassle of going to sleep with wet hair, and I didn't want to be up until midnight twisting!

I can't concentrate at work because I'm so anxious to get home and try out a new style on my hair!
wyldhoney
wyldhoney

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 22nd June 2010, 12:43 pm

wyldhoney wrote:@Laleepop can you believe this was accidental? I just didn't want the hassle of going to sleep with wet hair, and I didn't want to be up until midnight twisting!

I can't concentrate at work because I'm so anxious to get home and try out a new style on my hair!

That is funny that IT was accidental!!! LOL. I think Im gonna give this a try at least once to see how it works for me. I havent used heat in my hair in ages..Im at work too and cant wait to go play in my hair later!! Keep me updated on the results and Ill do the same...
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by wyldhoney 24th June 2010, 12:54 pm

Update:

Rain, rain and more rain caused massive shrinkage, so that's the end of my blowout. I twisted my dry hair in medium twists with some Fantasia IC Olive oil gel, and sealed the ends with coconut oil. In the morning I untwisted and threw it into a bun, where it will stay until I can decide what else to do with it.

I did like the blow dried experience, and will be doing it again on International 'Fro Day. My coworkers have been begging me to come in with 'big hair' one day, so on July 5th I'll be totally 'froed out for the office.

Any suggestions for a cool protective style that doesn't take 3 hours like twists do?
wyldhoney
wyldhoney

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 24th June 2010, 1:11 pm

wyldhoney wrote:Thanks for the advice, Chrs!

Will my hair be okay to style with the gel on it from this morning? I don't want to have to wash it out and start over!

Also, will blowdrying on low once a week or once every two weeks put me at risk of heat damage? I really love the stretched result (no-heat stretching doesn't work very well since my hair is so coily and loves to shrink) but I don't want to risk any damage. I wonder if the oils can serve as a heat protectant.
Sorry for the late response. Yes, oils can help with heat damage. I also suggest low heat and low spped. Yes, the gel on hair can aid in styling. Just know that the style may not be defined without additional gel and/or moisturizer applied.

wyldhoney wrote:Update:

Rain, rain and more rain caused massive shrinkage, so that's the end of my blowout. I twisted my dry hair in medium twists with some Fantasia IC Olive oil gel, and sealed the ends with coconut oil. In the morning I untwisted and threw it into a bun, where it will stay until I can decide what else to do with it.

I did like the blow dried experience, and will be doing it again on International 'Fro Day. My coworkers have been begging me to come in with 'big hair' one day, so on July 5th I'll be totally 'froed out for the office.

Any suggestions for a cool protective style that doesn't take 3 hours like twists do?
You can put it in large twists, take them down and pin them up. You can flat twist and braid (big ones).
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down