CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Texturizer

+9
KnottyKinkyMommy
renren
lena73
NikG20
wyldhoney
deeply_rooted_chick
lexibugg004
DreamMerchant
AdriEm
13 posters

Go down

Texturizer Empty Texturizer

Post by AdriEm 19th June 2010, 2:30 am

I lopped off all my hair almost 5 months ago and at first it was okay; I kept my hair in comb coils mostly, finally wearing my fro out starting in late March/April. However, recently I've been losing my mind because it's just so DRY and my mum has done as much as she can within our means as far as it goes with products and nothing has been working.

Earlier this month there was a shining beacon of hope when my mum braided my hair and, after coming it out it was nice and huge and soft and not dry but then there were bumps on my head and it got dry again. Long story short I've been complaining alot, don't know what to do and my mother, after consulting my hairdresser have decided to put a texturizer in my hair to soften it and to ease combing.

I have type 4 hair and I'm just wondering if anyone here has a texturizer or knows someone with one or have seen before/after pictures on my type of hair?
AdriEm
AdriEm

Back to top Go down

Texturizer Empty Re: Texturizer

Post by DreamMerchant 19th June 2010, 2:56 am

Give your hair more time! It seems as though dryness is the main character when you just big chop. Don't be discouraged. What products are you using and what is your routine?
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by lexibugg004 19th June 2010, 3:56 am

a texturizer will only contribute to the dryness!!! what products are you using???? water would make your hair soften and easier to comb!!!
lexibugg004
lexibugg004

Back to top Go down

Post by deeply_rooted_chick 19th June 2010, 10:18 am

If you look up kimmaytube on youtube and watch her natural journey you will see she got a texturizer and it looked like a bad perm. It was straight and had no movement. I don't think it's the best idea. She has hair around the 4 range too.
deeply_rooted_chick
deeply_rooted_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by wyldhoney 19th June 2010, 10:34 am

Texturiser is the same product as a relaxer - you will only be adding to the dryness problem.

All BC'ers go through this phase of dry hair, I think. The only remedy is DEEP CONDITIONING. A moisturising conditioner, mixed with a little hair oil (coconut, castor, jojoba, olive oil are all good). Slap that on your hair, cover with a plastic cap (I recycle my grocery bags), and then go clean the house.

By the time you're done cleaning and rise out, your hair will be moisturised, shiny and soft.

Do this every time your hair feels dry, and you'll be able to bounce back sans chemicals. The first couple months are hard, but don't give up!
wyldhoney
wyldhoney

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 19th June 2010, 10:50 am

I have seen pictures and in my opinion they look horrible. (the ones I have seen)

Ugh and I'm trying to be nice about it, lol. The results have been curlyish/wavy pieces of hair and straight pieces of hair through out the head. It just wasn't cute.

I would also give it some more time. You're still newly natural. I would hate for you to get it, regret it, and BC all over again. Judging from your avatar, your hair looks beautiful!

Since you're young I know it's hard trying to buy certain products. Maybe you can check out the swap board here and on naturallycurly.

Is your main problem dryness? A texturizer certainly won't help that. In fact, you will have to moisturize even more. It sounds like you have not found the right moisturizer for your hair. What are you currently using? What is your routine? etc. Maybe we can all help come up with a simple routine and affordable products.

Are you set on a texturizer?
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AdriEm 19th June 2010, 11:21 pm

Thank you so much to everyone that responded.

NikG20 wrote:I have seen pictures and in my opinion they look horrible. (the ones I have seen)

Ugh and I'm trying to be nice about it, lol. The results have been curlyish/wavy pieces of hair and straight pieces of hair through out the head. It just wasn't cute.

I would also give it some more time. You're still newly natural. I would hate for you to get it, regret it, and BC all over again. Judging from your avatar, your hair looks beautiful!

Since you're young I know it's hard trying to buy certain products. Maybe you can check out the swap board here and on naturallycurly.

Is your main problem dryness? A texturizer certainly won't help that. In fact, you will have to moisturize even more. It sounds like you have not found the right moisturizer for your hair. What are you currently using? What is your routine? etc. Maybe we can all help come up with a simple routine and affordable products.

Are you set on a texturizer?

I'm not dead set on it and after some discussion with my mom this evening we've agreed to keep trying.

Dryness wasn't the only issue; it was just....hard I guess is the only way to put it and kind of brittle. I'm going to start wetting it more which I couldn't for a while because of some water lock-offs that ahd been happening.
Tomorrow I'm going to pull out my braids and deep condition my hair and get back to you guys.
AdriEm
AdriEm

Back to top Go down

Post by lena73 20th June 2010, 6:15 pm

if its hard it could be that you are protein sensitive. perhaps you change up your conditioners during the hotter/humider months. maybe do more of water based products.
i notice that what my hair likes in the winter is different then the summer
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Post by AdriEm 21st June 2010, 1:06 am

Okay so I deep conditioned with Cholesterol (something which apparently used to work, pre-relaxer) honey and olive oil; let it sit for almost 2 hours and then rinsed it. It didn't feel different but it didn't feel bad lol that's kind of the only way to put it. But my hair's in big plaits right now so when I pull them out on Wednesday I'll see if there's any difference.
AdriEm
AdriEm

Back to top Go down

Post by renren 21st June 2010, 2:28 pm

Hey Adril....

I texturized my hair May 2009 after growing it out for almost 2 yrs.I did it again in May 2010. I made the decision after many many months of research. I think the biggest problem with texturizers are unreasonable expectations. For example, If a person does not have curls before a texturizer ....then they would not suddenly get curls after one.
I am satisfied with my decision as I find my hair is more manageable this way and I am better able to keep up with my fast pace life.
I only left it on for about 5 mins. and I mixed my relaxer with conditioner and oils to weaken it a bit. My hair still looks natural and I can still wear natural styles (twist). One of the disadvantages though, is that my strands are weaker, which I expected and I am still battling dryness issues as well. So, texturizing certainly did not help with my hair's moisture level.

Im happy to hear that you didnt texturize.... do what is best for you and your lifestyle. I combat dryness by deep conditioning(ORS Pak and NTM Mask) and proper moisturizing techniques(water spritz,oil, emulsified moisturizer).

If you want more information on my experience being texturized give me a shout.

Best of Luck to you.
renren
renren

Back to top Go down

Post by KnottyKinkyMommy 21st June 2010, 7:02 pm

Try Castor oil. This is the only oil that my hair loves. It makes my hair so soft and "comb-able". Just cowash (wash your hair with only conditioner) and apply it directly to your hair. Just give it a shot. You can find it at any drugstore or beauty supply store for about 5 bucks and it works! Without Castor Oil my hair is dry and brittle so maybe this will work for you too.

Either way, good luck!
KnottyKinkyMommy
KnottyKinkyMommy

Back to top Go down

Post by predestined010 21st June 2010, 7:13 pm

I had this problem when I first Bc'd 4 months ago until I ran across vegetable glycerin can I get Amen Chuchhh AMMEEENNN... The mixture of water vegetable glycerin and a couple of drops of rosemary saved my life Oh and not to mehtion Deep Conditioning once a week I wasnt going to give up I do have some bumps in the road with this TWA ButI will keep trucking! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
predestined010
predestined010

Back to top Go down

Post by Karameldiva1978 21st June 2010, 11:13 pm

I was going to suggest braids so that you can spritz to moisturize and condition and let it be. I can't wait to get enough length so that I can just moisturize and grow. Hang in there! There are many more products that cater to us naturals right now. You'll find what works for you!
Karameldiva1978
Karameldiva1978

Back to top Go down

Post by s4pphir3 22nd June 2010, 10:09 pm

lexibugg004 wrote:a texturizer will only contribute to the dryness!!! what products are you using???? water would make your hair soften and easier to comb!!!

Very true .. I learned this the hard way and my hair ended up breaking off from being so dry.
s4pphir3
s4pphir3

http://members.fotki.com/s4pphir3/about

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 23rd June 2010, 9:38 am

plz don't lesson to your hairdresser or your mother about putting a texturizer in your hair because it is still a mild relaxer. the best way to make your hair more manageable and comb-able is moisture, moisture, moisture (pre-pooing with certain oils, washing with a gentle cleanser that also promotes moisture/moisture retention, deep condition, oil rinsing, and sealing in the moisture).
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by AdriEm 24th June 2010, 12:11 pm

So I just wanted to get back to all of you who've been so great in responding and with your advice.
I pulled out the braids and combed it out yesterday and I did end up texturizing it. I'm kind of on the fence about how I feel about it; it just looks like how my hair does after a coming out braids which I like but it's just...different I guess. I don't hate it but I'm not entirely sold on it and I might not be doing it regularly. It seems more manageable which was the original goal but I guess with time we'll see.

I'm still taking what you've all said about deep conditioning and moisture to heart though because I still want to take care of my hair and if anything I'll just shave my head or something [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .
Thanks for all of your advice and comments
AdriEm
AdriEm

Back to top Go down

Post by wyldhoney 24th June 2010, 12:13 pm

What a shame.

Good luck with your hair though.
wyldhoney
wyldhoney

Back to top Go down