CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indigo/Henna Combo Hair Test

4 posters

Go down

Indigo/Henna Combo Hair Test Empty Indigo/Henna Combo Hair Test

Post by Estiscurls 13th June 2010, 8:16 am

I probably have about four different colors in my hair if you count gray, which in my case is white and hard to cover. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I have read hennaforhair.com how-to book over and over again for the last six months, looked at pic after pic of gorgeous henna'd hair and finally taken Step One - Buy the henna.

I really wanted to buy the expensive henna and indigo - but Jamila henna cost $7.50 per 100 gms and Reshma, the henna I could afford, cost $1.50 per 100 gms. I bought three bottles of Reshma at $2.99 each for a total of 600 gms for $8.97. Jamila would have cost $45.

The indigo online was even more expensive than the online henna. At mehandi.com 100 gms of indigo costs $16.50!!! WOW! At the Indian market I got three boxes of "Black Henna" (which is pure indigo) for $3.39 each which averaged to $1.70 per 100 gms. What a difference. Plus I didn't have to wait days or pay shipping and postage which is higher than taxes sometimes.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I decided to do a hair test. I have way too much hair to practice on so I've been saving as much shedded hair as possible. I decided to use henna on half of the hair and indigo on the other half.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] This is my shedded hair before henna or indigo.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] This is the result of 100% henna. Reddish brown with gold and bright red highlights .

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] This the result of 99.9% indigo test. I like the color - it achieves the brown I'm looking for. One problem is that there was not much gray in the the indigo test hair so I don't have an idea of how the indigo is going to look on my white.

What I don't like about this mix - pretty much ALL indigo [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] which means that my hair isn't getting much henna, thus not receiving the benefits of a full-fledge 100% henna.

Oh decisions, decisions! I'll be glad when I have this figured out and find the right combination.

Update: I've decided to use 100% henna on all my hair since this is the first time applying henna to hair. Two or three days later I will follow with an indigo/henna application to tone down redness and to give hair another treatment.
Estiscurls
Estiscurls

Back to top Go down

Indigo/Henna Combo Hair Test Empty Re: Indigo/Henna Combo Hair Test

Post by adamseve 13th June 2010, 7:22 pm

Keep us posted on how this 2nd application works out for you.

I've thought about henna, but I like my black hair for now. I've had highlights for several years so keeping my hair it's natural color will be a pleasant change. I would like to cover the gray hair in the front however LOL!
adamseve
adamseve

Back to top Go down

Indigo/Henna Combo Hair Test Empty I Did It

Post by Estiscurls 14th June 2010, 5:46 am

Well I took Step Two - Put the henna on your hair. I used 100% henna and plan to apply indigo/henna mix later on this week. I mixed the henna with lemon juice and only let the the henna stay in for 3.5 hours and there is a small section of white that is still white. I had one little problem and that is I ran out of henna mix with a whole fourth section of my hair to do. I simply mixed some more, placed the plastic bowl in a pan of hot water and waited 30 mins and proceeded. I can't tell any difference.
I knew it was going to be a mess rinsing it out so I geared up:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] And I'm so glad I did. I used this storage bin to dunk my hair in:
After about five of these, I applied my favorite conditioner: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . The conditioner really helped remove the henna. Then I applied the deep conditioner and sat in the sauna for 30 mins (15 min at a time).

It's true henna will relax your curl but I didn't have much curl anyway - more like frizzy waves. The white in my hair turned orange like I expected and the only difference I could tell was that when I was doing my twist and curl my hair felt smoother as I was twisting it. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now I have to sit under the dryer for four hours - drying completely is the key to successful hair for me. I'll post pics of the results and try to take some pics outside in the sunlight.

I will be doing my indigo application probably on Wednesday.

Last edited by Estiscurls on 14th June 2010, 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add pic.)
Estiscurls
Estiscurls

Back to top Go down

Indigo/Henna Combo Hair Test Empty The Next Day

Post by Estiscurls 14th June 2010, 7:14 pm

First, my hair didn't dry completely in the back, a common occurence since that is thickest part. Also, I can feel that I didn't completely rinse all the henna out. Secondly, my color, except for my white, didn't change much. Thirdly, I'm ready to do applied the indigo, I want dark hair.

This pic was taken outside - kind of burgandy and still have lots of different colors

Estiscurls
Estiscurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Maricopa 14th June 2010, 10:05 pm

Hi, Estiscurls in my experience with using henna's and to cover my grey hair, I applied the henna first to my hair for about 3 hours, then rinsed and immediately applied the indigo to my roots and grey areas and left that in for another 1 hour or so. I got fantastic results and great coverage. But like you it was many trials and errors before I was able to cover those pesky greys of mine [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.], HTH.
Maricopa
Maricopa

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 14th June 2010, 10:58 pm

WOW! Your hair turned out great so far. I cannot wait to see the indigo result!
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by Estiscurls 15th June 2010, 5:44 pm

Thanks for the ino Maricopa. Thank you for the compliment DreamMerchant.

More in Wedsday!
Estiscurls
Estiscurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down