CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Henna & Indigo

5 posters

Go down

Henna & Indigo Empty Henna & Indigo

Post by shemara2009 21st March 2011, 9:52 am

Hi,

I am a pretty seasoned henna user, however last night I did the step 2 process of adding indigo. I ordered the indigo from one of the companies Nikki recommended (I can't remember the name right now). The results were good (I missed a few gray strands in the front). I then DC with Myhoneychild Olive You conditioner (really good conditioner). I then sprayed my hair with a mix of aloe vera juice, oil, distilled water to seal my cuticles. Then moistured my scalp with castor oil and other hair lotions. My hair still feels dry..anyone else have the same issues? When I only used Henna, my hair felt dry for a second, but I was able to overcome the dryness by using moisturizers and oils.

Thanks!!

shemara2009

Back to top Go down

Henna & Indigo Empty Re: Henna & Indigo

Post by Madeaj 21st March 2011, 10:04 am

Whenever I do a full henna treatment, I find I have to DC a couple of more times. The last time I slathered on DC mixed with oil, squeezed out the excess and twisted my hair. When I got home the next night I rinsed with cool water and kind of co-washed. The dryness was gone.

With Indigo, you might need to do another deep condition and cowash.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by shemara2009 21st March 2011, 10:27 am

Thanks Madeaj, I will DC again. I twisted my hair also (takes a few hours), so I didn't want to retwist again, but I might have to due to the dryness. Good advice..

shemara2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 21st March 2011, 11:41 am

You could just spritz the conditioner on the twists in the evening a few hours before bed to let them dry a little. I put some on my hand and run a little on each twist. Don't soak them. When you get ready, you can untwist, rinse and retwist each separately, that way you are not spending hours untwisting, washing, rinsing and retwisting.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by shemara2009 21st March 2011, 3:44 pm

Madeaj thanks for this. I don't think I have ever spritzed a conditioner before, any good recommendations for ingredients? Obviously using a water-based conditoner (like knot today), but I don't want build up..hmm, using Knot today with distilled water?

shemara2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 22nd March 2011, 4:23 pm

Yes, try mixing just a small amount of distilled water with your conditioner. I never make more than a couple of ounces for a one time use. I am too afraid of leaving unused mixture in the bottle. Once you add water, you dilute the preservatives in the conditioner.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by shemara2009 23rd March 2011, 3:23 pm

Thanks Madeaj, I mixed knot today conditioner with distilled water, a bit of castor and jojoba oil and aloe vera, and spritzed, however my hair is not doing well. Scalp is inflamed I think due to the indigo, so tonight it will be a long conditioning process to soothe my scalp. Thanks for the recommendations. Now I know with applying Indigo to my hair, I might need to include a conditioner instead of just distilled water.

shemara2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 23rd March 2011, 3:39 pm

Some people are allergic to Indigo. This might be the case for you. Indigo Reaction
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by shemara2009 23rd March 2011, 4:25 pm

I am reading up on allergic reactions now..yep I am probably allergic..dang the color is so nice too! Sticking only to henna..

shemara2009

Back to top Go down

Post by cocochanel 24th March 2011, 5:41 pm

Hi ladies I just ordered Jamilla Henna and Indigo from mehandi.com. I have not used either products before and I hope I do this correctly. Any advice you ladies can offer would be great. Thanks!! woot!
cocochanel
cocochanel

Back to top Go down

Post by darkbeautytt 24th March 2011, 5:44 pm

i have a question ladies can you mix aloe vera gel to conditioner to condition the hair? does aloe vera helpin conditioning the hair, do u ladies know?
darkbeautytt
darkbeautytt

https://www.youtube.com/darkbeautytt

Back to top Go down

Post by shemara2009 24th March 2011, 9:10 pm

@darkbeautytt, I had a horrible reaction with spritzing my hair with aloe vera juice (lily of the desert, inner fillet)my after indigoing my hair. I did not deep condition after applying the henna as ButterQueen recommended in the other henna topic thread. So it all depends on how your hair reacts to aloe vera juice when it comes to using henna and indigo . Kimmaytube has a leave-in conditioner where she uses knot today conditioner, aloe vera, castor oil and jojoba oil..I used her mix and was fine.

shemara2009

Back to top Go down

Post by shemara2009 24th March 2011, 9:27 pm

@cocochanel, I ordered Jamila henna from ayurnaturalbeauty.com (based on Curly Nikki's recommendation). The henna was great..color great, sift and application was easy, and it was also easy to get out as well. In terms of ordering henna from Mehandi.com, I have only ordered BAQ Henna for African American hair and purity henna. I love them both..color and sift quality were phenomenal. Ayurnatural was a bit cheaper, which is why I used them over mehandi.
My mistake with indigoing (as you can see with my conversation with MadeaJ) was not deep conditioning after the henna process. I might be allergic to indigo as Madeaj pointed out, but I also spritzed my hair with aloe vera juice, which may have caused a reaction with my scalp. So..my advice, after henna your hair, deep condition before applying the indigo. Also patch test your hair to see how your scalp will react as well. Hope this helps!

shemara2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy 28th March 2011, 4:04 pm

Hi Ladies, I have a question regarding Henna and Indigo. Last weekend I used a henna and followed it with Indigo to cover the red (that was original gray). My question is if I do another Henna next month will it strip the indigo? I usually wait for my new growth of gray before I do another henna and indigo, but I like the way the henna makes my hair feel and would like to henna once a month rather than every 3 months.

Dorothy

Back to top Go down

Post by shemara2009 28th March 2011, 4:43 pm

Hi Dorothy,
I am not sure what the results will be if you henna over your indigo. I have found that the indigo I applied two weeks ago is beginning to fade already..especially in the front. I too like the way henna makes my hair feel, and I also battle the stubborn gray hair issues in the front of my hair. I remember Curly Nikki recommending cassia or henna gloss for conditioning hair, if you don't want any color on your hair with henna. I think if you search through some of her topics, she discusses it.

shemara2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down