CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CONDITIONER ONLY METHOD

+10
naturalmommyGA
DvaAuNaturel
hippychic
BajanPrincess82
pdarden
Muz
mstokes2008
Juices-n-Berries
summabrown
happy2bcurly
14 posters

Go down

CONDITIONER ONLY METHOD Empty CONDITIONER ONLY METHOD

Post by happy2bcurly 7th June 2010, 10:00 pm

While browsing around on you tube I heard about the condtioner only method where you cowash and smooth lots of conditioner through your hair as you would gel. Then let it air dry and it's suppose to curl up.. WEEELLL Not IN MY HAIR!!!. It was so pretty while it was wet but once it dried it was a HOT MESS. It was very dry looking. So I went and bought some aussuie moist conditioner like they used on you tube. still a hot mess. I was wondering if any one here had tried it and what your results were. I don't have a camera so I couldn't take pictures and my camera phone takes really bad pictures.
happy2bcurly
happy2bcurly

Back to top Go down

CONDITIONER ONLY METHOD Empty Re: CONDITIONER ONLY METHOD

Post by summabrown 7th June 2010, 10:03 pm

I co wash with YTCarrots i was using Suave Almond Shea Butter they both do a great job but right now i use the YTC. when im done in the shower and i rinse out i pat my hair once with the towel and run just a little dab of condish through and seal in the moisture by running about three drops of jojoba oil in it. And my curls turn out great last all day
summabrown
summabrown

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 7th June 2010, 10:09 pm

I can't really tell your hair type from the picture, but that could be it. Most of the people I see doing the conditioner only wash and gos have a looser texture. The conditioner only wash and go does not work for me. I need some type of gel or product with hold in order to get my hair stretched and have definition or else my hair will shrivel up like a prune.

Now, one way I have combatted the need for gel, but still reduce shrinkage is through banding. If you would like more info on that, check out my Curl Street Journal thread.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 7th June 2010, 10:13 pm

Most people don't leave tons of regular conditioner in their hair. What I've seen/heard most do is apply some more conditioner in their hair while in the shower and do a quick cold water rinse just to evenly distribute the conditioner. Sealing is also key, so that all that moisture you put in your hair will be sealed in and not just disappear (for lack of better words) throughout the day. But it may not work for everyone like JnB said. HTH
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by happy2bcurly 7th June 2010, 10:30 pm

Thanks for all the quick responses. My hair is 4b 4c I think. and its been a real challenge to find the right product. I think the problem is that I want my hair to look like other naturals that I see and It's just not gonna happen. i love being natural but its a lot of work. I spend more time on my hair now then I did when I was permed. But don't get me wrong I'm not going to give up cause I love my natural hair and a have a good hair day every once in a while. Juices-n-berries what is your hair type? my hair looks similar to yours but just not as good. What do you use for your twistouts?
happy2bcurly
happy2bcurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 7th June 2010, 10:32 pm

I know I haven't found a way for gel to work for me, but I like it with conditioner only for my WNGs, and I don't have to worry about hold thanks to my shrinkage. LOL, if I don't put it in a puff while it's wet, my hair is NOT moving even without gel.

I think once you figure out what to do with your hair, you'll spend waaaaaaaaaaaay less time on it than you did your relaxed hair. I spend more time on my hair now only because I like playing in it (hopefully I'll grow out of that soon ~lol~)
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pdarden 7th June 2010, 11:32 pm

true... i timed myself this morning on my hair after the shampoo... takes me 9 minutes which for me isn't bad.... leave-in for moisture, oil to seal, eco custard, denman brush...done
pdarden
pdarden

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 8th June 2010, 12:01 pm

I do a modified version of the conditioner only method. I shampoo and condition, detangle, deep condition, and then after I'm done, add conditioner in right before I get out the shower. After that I put olive oil, coconut oil, and/or shea butter on it. I leave it in and let it dry - either in a puff/ponytail or braids/twists for a twistout/braidout.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by hippychic 8th June 2010, 1:27 pm

hippychic

Back to top Go down

Post by happy2bcurly 8th June 2010, 10:01 pm

yes hippychic that is the site that i went to. There are also several videos on you tube about it.
happy2bcurly
happy2bcurly

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 8th June 2010, 10:23 pm

You might also want to check out MahoganyCurls youtube videos. She discusses the curly girl method in hers. I'm not familiar with the "conditioner only" method but it sounds vastly different from the actual CG method. You really just have to find what works best for you and your hair.

I have type 4a hair and follow a modified Curly Girl method because I shampoo 1 (maybe 2x) a month using a "low poo" (sulfate free shampoo).

Here is another site that might be helpful.

http://clutchmagonline.com/beauty/no-poolow-poo-cleansing/

Last edited by DvaAuNaturel on 8th June 2010, 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalmommyGA 8th June 2010, 10:34 pm

I use the conditioner only method..but like some others said it could be your hair type. Usually when I do conditioner only I put my hair in a puff b/c when I leave it out it looks crazy!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

On youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/AFRICANEXPORT.
She's has good videos b/c she has type 4 hair and I know she has a wash and go video. You might have to try the singling method also.
naturalmommyGA
naturalmommyGA

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 8th June 2010, 11:06 pm

naturalmommyGA wrote:I use the conditioner only method..but like some others said it could be your hair type. Usually when I do conditioner only I put my hair in a puff b/c when I leave it out it looks crazy!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

On youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/AFRICANEXPORT.
She's has good videos b/c she has type 4 hair and I know she has a wash and go video. You might have to try the singling method also.

Me too! I either put it in a puff or twist/braid it. Otherwise, its looks a hot mess!
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 9th June 2010, 3:44 pm

happy2bcurly wrote:Thanks for all the quick responses. My hair is 4b 4c I think. and its been a real challenge to find the right product. I think the problem is that I want my hair to look like other naturals that I see and It's just not gonna happen. i love being natural but its a lot of work. I spend more time on my hair now then I did when I was permed. But don't get me wrong I'm not going to give up cause I love my natural hair and a have a good hair day every once in a while. Juices-n-berries what is your hair type? my hair looks similar to yours but just not as good. What do you use for your twistouts?

My hair type is 4b/a. Thanks. I'm sure your hair will look great too with some TLC. I'm a product junkie so I've used lots of different products for twistouts. My avatar wasn't a twistout, however, it was a band and go. Which I describe in my thread.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by ritajoy 13th June 2010, 1:56 pm

I use the conditioner only method al the time. The key is to separate the curls when soaking wet and not to touch the hair until it is completely dry. Then it is ok to touch and fluff and add some coconut oil for shine and extra moisture.

It works great but takes time and patience to separate the curls and wait to dry. In the winter I sit under the dryer for 15 minutes and the results are great. The hair looks soft and fluffy.
ritajoy
ritajoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ekaette 13th June 2010, 5:23 pm

IMO that only works on looser textures. 4b hair like yours or mine has curls/coils that are too small to clump together into curls that are visible from far away. Even if your curls do clump from far away it will just look like a cottony mass not like the defined ringlets the looser types get
Ekaette
Ekaette

http://public.fotki.com/ekaette/

Back to top Go down

Post by happy2bcurly 13th June 2010, 7:21 pm

Ekaette, that is so try. That was like one of those light bulb moments [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] i finally realized that my hair is NOT gonna do what everyone elses hair does. if i could just find a way to deal with the dryness i can except the tight little curls.now i'm trying to look at my hair in a different way and embrace it for what it is.
happy2bcurly
happy2bcurly

Back to top Go down

Post by kbelle 14th June 2010, 1:41 pm

Hey,

I have 4a/b with a spinkle of whatever throughout kinda hair, but super dense and I agree that not all methods work for all hair types. For example, I love MahogneyCurls and her videos to pieces, but my hair didn't respond the same to the conditioners she used.
It took a lot of trial and error. I recently used Yes to Cucumbers (can find at Target) as a co-wash and it was the best experience yet ... but keep in mind that's after realizing that Herbal Essense, Aussie, etc. conditioners just wasn't for me.
Also, I am like JnB I HAVE to use a gel ... and not all gels are equal too ... or it's a crackily dry HOT MESS when it dries.
I know it's a battle to find what works, but that's the best advice I would give.

... and oh yeah ... I agree with the not touch til it's dry and for me, that's takes hours. That's the only way I can prevent a frizz ball on my head. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by kbelle on 14th June 2010, 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add on :))
kbelle
kbelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Ekaette 15th June 2010, 5:42 pm

happy2bcurly wrote:Ekaette, that is so try. That was like one of those light bulb moments [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] i finally realized that my hair is NOT gonna do what everyone elses hair does. if i could just find a way to deal with the dryness i can except the tight little curls.now i'm trying to look at my hair in a different way and embrace it for what it is.

I'm really happy I had a long transition bc I needed all that time to stop comparing my hair to other people's hair and really getting to know my hair. Really believe at least weekly DCs turned my moisture journey around. Maybe you could try something like that

ETA start browsing around fotkis of other tightly curled naturals. I never knew the things my hair was capable of until I saw people with hair similar to mine. I'm fotki friends with a lot of 4a and 4b members. You could start off at my fotki
http://public.fotki.com/Ekaette/
then look at my fotki friends to find other type 4 members and their regimens and techniques
Ekaette
Ekaette

http://public.fotki.com/ekaette/

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolAfro 15th June 2010, 6:34 pm

I tried to use the conditioner only method and my hair started falling out. I have a 3c pattern (i think) but my hair is SUPER thick and tends to be dry if not oiled properly. If your curls feel crunchy and dry it's prob not good for your hair texture. I just couldn't get over the great curl definition but it's not worth the breakage. It all depends on your hair not ness. your texture because peoples hair reacts differently even if you have the same texture.

PrettyCoolAfro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down