CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mixed Chicks Review

+6
sonance
NaturallyCLD
vanity
mstokes2008
LaToya28
Free2Be
10 posters

Go down

Mixed Chicks Review Empty Mixed Chicks Review

Post by Free2Be 6th June 2010, 3:38 am

My order arrived Friday and I used all 4 products today. I am impressed. I was really hoping for the best, telling myself, "This is the one." and it just might be. I've been home sick for a couple of days and had not washed or styled my hair since last Tuesday, so it was a mess.

Shampoo: I used two quarter-sized squirts and after I'd rinsed I was able to comb through what I thought was a matted mess. Seriously. I could just comb through my hair after the shampoo alone. Now, I've never tried that with other shampoos so maybe I can do that with other brands as well, but it impressed me. The smell is just okay...I prefer a lot of floral, yummy scents, but it's not a deal-breaker.

Deep Conditioner: I don't think I've ever read or seen a bad review on the deep conditioner. I wasn't sure I even needed it, but I used two mini scoops and left it on while I showered. Very good slip. My hair had a funny feel after I rinsed. It's hard to describe, but it felt slick. It felt like my hair was glossy, kwim? It wasn't a waxy feel, just super slick.

Leave-In Conditioner: I applied this in the shower. Two quarter-sized dollops on soaking wet hair and I combed it through then did a shaky thing with my head. I squeezed out most of the water and gave my head another shake and that was that.

Hair Silk: I applied this when my hair was nearly dry. The instructions say you can use it on wet or dry hair. It's basically a gloss/polish. I don't really need a product like that, but I just wanted to try all four products together.

The result? No pictures because I'm lazy and didn't do any additional styling, but I will say this. My hair did NOT dry CRUNCHY. Not at all. However, I think it may be in the application step and the amount of product used. When I say I only used two quarter-sized amounts, I mean it. I didn't overdo it AND I applied it on my sopping wet head in the shower before any paper towel or towel or t-shirt drying. I ran my hands under the shower stream, then ran them through my hair again to further distribute the product. Additionally, I let my hair air dry for a good while and though still damp, I began scrunching out what could otherwise have turned into crunchy hair. And lastly, I applied the glosser before it dried completely.

I didn't add any other products and my hair is soft, the curls are defined, and in fact, the total product routine seemed to elongate my curls just as much as Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding and/or Eco Styler. I'll continue to use it and see if I can get regular results...I need to see how it affects my hair to add other products to it, such as hair butters, additional leave-ins, oils, and moisturizers.

But for now I give it an A+. If it matters, my hair is fine, wavy and curly with a sprinkling of obstinate straight hairs that resist scrunching and twisting. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Mixed Chicks Review Empty Re: Mixed Chicks Review

Post by LaToya28 6th June 2010, 12:05 pm

Thanks for the review, sounds like you have a winner!

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 6th June 2010, 4:37 pm

Good review!! I've been contemplating adding these products to my list. How are the ingredients?
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 6th June 2010, 10:41 pm

@Mstokes: The ingredients are not all natural and that would be my concern if I was still trying to use 100% natural products. However, I began using the HE TT and HE HH a few weeks ago and they contain sulfates and cones also. The interesting thing is the Mixed Chicks bottles all have the little "Vegan" symbol. I'm not sure how important that is to me considering the sulfates and cones. LOL

Shampoo Ingredients: Water, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Tea
Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Glycol Disterate, Panthenol, Avocado Oil,
Silk Amino Acids, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Ginger (Zinglber Officinale)
Extract, Malvasylvestris (Mallow) Extract, Borage (Borago Officinalis)
Seed Oil, Cinnmidopropyl Trimonium Chloride, Polyqatermium 10,
Allantoin, Citric Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Propylene Glycol, Sodium
Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, FD&C Yellow #5, FD&C Yellow
#6.

Deep Conditioner Ingredients: Water, Cetearyl Alcohol,
Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Cetyl Alcohol,
Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Octamethylcylotetraxiloxane, Safflower Oil,
Cetrimonium Chloride, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate and C14-18
Perfluoroalkyethyl Thiohydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride and Benzoic Acid
and Glycereth - 2 Cocoate, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance

Leave-in Conditioner Ingredients:
Water, glycerin, amodimethicone,
emulsifying wax, hydrolyzed wheat protein,/pvp crosspolymer,
methylgluceth-20, hydroxypropyl trimonium choloride, octyl
methoxycinnamate, hydroxyethyl celloluse, jojoba oil, safflower oil,
primrose oil, wheat amino acid, crosilk, hydrolyzed collagen (marine),
phenoxyethanel, methylparaben, proplyparaben, butylparaben, FD&C red
#40, FD&C yellow #5, fragrance
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by vanity 25th June 2010, 7:12 pm

Great review...

I really like the deep conditioner.

The leave-in conditioner has a good hold, however, I'm protein sensitive and it tends to dry my hair out Sad Even with additional leave-ins and oil
vanity
vanity

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyCLD 25th June 2010, 11:32 pm

Alright you have convienced me. . .this will be my nex big PJ purchase. . .maybe I can get someone to get it for my birthday. . .hmmmz? lol
NaturallyCLD
NaturallyCLD

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 26th June 2010, 12:12 am

I just wanted to update and say I'm still getting good results from it. I'm not using the glosser/Hair Silk anymore because my hair has enough shine. I have been swapping out the MC leave-in with Darcy's Botanicals and I feel they are very, very similar products. You get more of the MC leave-in for approx. the same $$$ as Darcy's though...that might be a deciding factor. But I love the scent options with Darcy's leave-in.

Honestly, I could probably use any shampoo and regular conditioner with the leave-in and it would work too...I've done that as well. Again, I'm applying it IN the shower on a truly wet head and then wetting my hands to further distribute it and still no crunch. I think that's the step a lot of people were missing.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by sonance 11th August 2010, 7:56 pm

Not a fan. Yes, my hair was not crunchy but if I could frizz up at any given moment and no sheen! Sorry, but I love the sheen and I got that with Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding and KC Curly Custard.
sonance
sonance

http://www.seriouslynatural.org

Back to top Go down

Post by * 25th August 2010, 12:02 pm

I LOVE Mixed Chicks as well. I use mine though after I apply Miss Jessie's Stretch Silkening Creme. It really makes my curls pop and long lasting, best of all, NO FRIZZ

Back to top Go down

Post by prettybrown213 2nd September 2010, 3:29 pm

I ordered a sample of the MC products and they are super small so I am not even sure if I will get the full effect. Haven't tried them yet but good to see some positive reviews about it. My friend has been screaming in my ear about trying this.
prettybrown213
prettybrown213

Back to top Go down

Post by HollyEP85 2nd September 2010, 11:55 pm

I am not a big mixed chicks fan for my hair. It is wonderful on my 4 year olds hair though. Her hair is all 3c like her daddy and baby sister. For me it did make it crunchy, no matter what I did. Maybe they have changed something since I bought our big bottle of leave in. I will always love my Giovanni leave in for me though.
HollyEP85
HollyEP85

Back to top Go down

Post by patmichele 10th October 2010, 1:39 pm

Hey ladies,
When I first started wearing my hair natural this was the first product i tried...did not get good results at all. 5 months later after learning my hair and proper care and techniques, i tried it again....OMG I love the way my hair looks. I have been trying for months to get my curls to shine when i wear a wng; this is the only product that has done that for me. Now, the girl at the beauty supply suggested that if I wanted more moisture to use Paul Mitchell the Conditioner under the MC. I did. My hair did turn white (too much product) but it dried soft, shiny, and defined! Whoop Whoop! Question: Does anyone get 2nd day hair from this product?
patmichele
patmichele

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down