CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is combing your hair bad?

+5
Neems
ladybrittain
SeanymphPrincess
Nessa101
photobscura
9 posters

Go down

Is combing your hair bad? Empty Is combing your hair bad?

Post by photobscura 16th May 2010, 6:34 pm

I've noticed that my hair hasn't been growing like it was in the past 6 weeks. I recently went for a trim and it looks like it's stayed the same length, but some areas look like they've gotten longer. My sister says that my hair may be breaking off because I don't comb it. I don't comb my hair cause I thought it was damaging. Is this wrong? Should I comb my hair? And if so how and how often? And should I just use wide tooth combs when combing?

Thanks!
photobscura
photobscura

http://www.katrinadavisphotograhy.com

Back to top Go down

Is combing your hair bad? Empty Re: Is combing your hair bad?

Post by Nessa101 16th May 2010, 7:18 pm

Combing your hair is good to get the knots out, but combing your hair and constantly pulling on the hair shaft can be damaging. The best thing to do if your trying to grow your hair is to wear it in protective styles and keep it moisturized. You can wear braids, twist, etc.. I usually comb in the shower with a wide tooth comb to detangle and if I comb my hair during the week I still use a wide tooth combed because my hair is very thick.

Hope that Helps!!
Nessa101
Nessa101

Back to top Go down

Post by photobscura 16th May 2010, 8:15 pm

Thank you Nessa, how often do you comb your hair?
photobscura
photobscura

http://www.katrinadavisphotograhy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessa101 16th May 2010, 11:09 pm

I used to everyday, but now I'd say like two to three times a week. For the summer I'm trying to wear protective styles and leave my hair alone Very Happy
Nessa101
Nessa101

Back to top Go down

Post by SeanymphPrincess 23rd May 2010, 8:35 am

I agree with everything Nessa stated. I only comb my hair wet in the shower when I detangle, and damp when I'm styling. As Nessa stated since summer is rolling in I'm trying to leave my hair alone as much as possible. Normally I always wear my hair brushed back in a bun,but I'm trying to stay away from brushing my hair daily. I feel it might be doing me some damage.I never comb my hair when its dry.
SeanymphPrincess
SeanymphPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybrittain 27th May 2010, 10:03 am

I only combed my hair once a week when I wash it and deep condition. I do the tightly curly method of priming my curls and sealing it. After that a comb or brush does not touch my hair. If thru the week it has dried out more than I would like I put some conditioner and water on it and sleep with my plastic cap on and in the morning it still looks great. I just finger comb where it seems flat and go on about my business. It has grown a good inch in the last two months. I see no problem with not putting a comb in it thru the week. Actually it is growing a lot better that way and is sooooo very healthy. I think everyone just has to find what works for them. I plan to post a pic soon, just been lazy.

ladybrittain

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 27th May 2010, 6:03 pm

I struggle with the comb. I can't live my shower comb. It doesn't have seams so i have noticed a lot less hair being ripped out when I detangle in the shower. I try to avoid dry combing because it hurts. IMO do what works for you. But please be gentle with the comb. I learned that harsh combing can cause damage.
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by smelly 29th May 2010, 3:21 pm

Just to add

I comb after I put in my conditioner. I then let my hair sit in a shower cap for about 5-10 min. After that, I usually comb my hair as the water is running through it (or rinsing out the conditioner).. you should be able to finger comb your hair nice and easy afterwards.. Also the amount of teeth on a comb matters as well...
smelly
smelly

Back to top Go down

Post by nattyblog 29th May 2010, 4:49 pm

I guess I'm adding too. I really think it depends on your hair. Actually, I think EVERYTHING depends on YOUR hair. I have a good amount of hair density, but the strands are fine. So, I haven't used a comb in at least six months (possibly longer by now). I've noticed my hair is a lot healthier than it was when I was using one. And I have a Mason Pearson comb!

I detangle with my fingers. It's gentler and I have been able to retain a lot of the growth that I've had with fewer splits. I figure, if I ever need to wear a style with parts in the front, I will probably pick up the Mason Pearson. But, most often, I wear twists, twist-/braid-outs, and puffs that don't require the use of a comb anyway. I think it works for me because my fingers and my brain are much more gentle than a comb at the moment. My tangles usually occur at the end of the strands and since they're older, they're more fragile. I'd rather use my fingers and my brain that as I'm touching my hair tell me to slow down there and when to stop to figure this out before moving through the section. I can't do that with a comb. I do a pretty thorough job so I get very few big knots this way. I've had maybe two in the whole time I've been doing this and that was during thesis week when I was stressing out and not paying attention to much. So I attribute it to that rather than the method. I've noticed a lot less "snaps" and such (again probably two in the whole time-and that during thesis week, lol) and there's much less stretching and weakening of my strands.

So, I say all that to say, if you have thick strands that can withstand a comb, you might try a really good comb (I still think Mason Pearsons are some of the best, but there are other brands that some naturals have success with too) and a great detangling process. If you're individual hair strands are fine, you may want to consider not using one at all though.
nattyblog
nattyblog

http://naturalgeek.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachtree 30th May 2010, 5:48 pm

I never comb for styling (can't get a comb through my hair anyway). I only comb when my hair is LOADED with conditioner, under the water stream. Over the years, this method has kept my hair long and damage/split free!
Peachtree
Peachtree

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 30th May 2010, 10:27 pm

I comb my hair. If I don't it will knot up and break off. I learned that the hard way. If you think you need to comb do it carefully and don't force the comb through.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down