CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

anxiety over Fri BC

+8
kinksncurls
Muz
curlytee
WalkingInDestiny
Lynnieluve
HAMPTONSFNST
cassadie3
Delta87
12 posters

Go down

anxiety over Fri BC Empty anxiety over Fri BC

Post by Delta87 11th May 2010, 12:26 pm

I am BC'ing on Friday May 14. I am ready but I have information overload and am not sure what to do after the BC. My hairdresser is doing my BC, she is also applying color and is very supportive. I ordered products from Oyin(HHC, shine & define, juices and berries and whipped pudding). I have been transitioning since Sept with sew in and have been getting a little cut off every 6 weeks or so. I have around 4 inches of thick new growth. I would say I am in the 4 category. I was thinking about purchasing Kinky curly custard and Knot Today. Please give me advice on what products I should have after the BC also what should I do if I have a bad hair day. Any advice wouod be appreciated [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Delta87
Delta87

Back to top Go down

anxiety over Fri BC Empty Re: anxiety over Fri BC

Post by cassadie3 11th May 2010, 3:59 pm

Congrats on your upcoming BC!!!! So exciting! Its sounds like you have a lot of products to work with but the most important thing to remember is MOISTURE! Make sure that you're giving your hair a lot of moisture (deep treatments, moisturizers, spritzing with water etc). Also be careful of manipulating your hair too much. I recommend only finger detangling and if you MUST use a comb, make sure you use a wide tooth and do it with a lot of conditioner in your hair.

Your Oyin whipped pudding should be a good moisturizer, but make sure to get a good moisturizing conditioner in there ( I recommend Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose or GBP) and a good leave in (Kinky Curly Knot Today Works, but I also LOVE Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Milk)

Good luck and please let us know if you have any more questions!!
cassadie3
cassadie3

http://naturalselectionblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta87 12th May 2010, 9:00 am

Hi Cassadie3- Thank you so much for the advice. I have heard good things about Karen's Body Beautiful I will definitely try it. I abosolutely loooooooooooooove your hair. Do you think I should deep condition this weekend? My stylist is going to deep condition Friday. Thanks
Delta87
Delta87

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 12th May 2010, 12:52 pm

I don't think it's necessary to DC again after your stylist has already done it. I agree with cassadie about maintaining your moisture level. Some women have experienced drier hair after the BC but I think the products you have will suffice. Cheaper conditioners like HE Hello Hydration, Totally Twisted, VO5 moisture milks and Suave Naturals are great for cowashing. I use Giovanni Direct Leave-in after each wash. Give us a review about the Oyin products. I've considered purchasing a few but don't want to go in PJ overload.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 12th May 2010, 1:01 pm

Yay!!! Congratulations on your upcoming BC!!! I love Oyin products after my BC. You could use the Honey Hemp Conditioner as a leave in conditioner since its something you already have. Like Hamptonfnst, I use Giovanni Direct leave in after every wash. I just made a big purchase from Oyin and will be trying the HHC as a leave too.

I used the shine and define and the whipped pudding to do my two strand twist after my BC. It left my hair soft and moisturized.

You dont have to deep condition since your stylist will be doing it on Friday but I will tell you deep condition every week. With you BCing and getting color, it is gonna be very important.

Good luck and dont forget to come back and post pics!!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta87 12th May 2010, 7:31 pm

Hamptonsfnst- Thanks for the advice, I received my Oyin products today Smile and will let you know what I think once I try them. I use the He Hello Hydration on both of my son's hair and I love it.

Lynnieluve-I will defintely deep condition every week. Although I am getting color My stylist has already told me I cannot go to light because it will dry my hair out and I need to get used to my natural hair. By the way your hair always looks wonderful.

I went out to lunch today (for my 43rd B-day) Smile the Hostess had a natural medium sized afro that looked great, that made me feel better, she told me she just uses lots of water and a little gel on her edges. I also saw another natural with a BAA going in starbucks. You don't see many naturals in Indianapolis so it was encouraging.

Thanks for the advice, I will post pictures this weekend.
Delta87
Delta87

Back to top Go down

Post by cassadie3 12th May 2010, 7:46 pm

+ 1 on the weekly deep conditioners! I do these religiously and it has done wonders for maintaining the health of my hair!

most importantly, I think once you chop, take the time to learn about the texture (fine/medium/coarse) and porosity of your hair. these factors will be the best indicators of what products will work best for your hair (and ultimately why some things will work great for others, but not for you and vice versa)

can't wait to see pix of you and your hair doing its thang!
cassadie3
cassadie3

http://naturalselectionblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WalkingInDestiny 12th May 2010, 10:59 pm

Congrats on the upcoming BC...the ladies have given you great advice. I would also add my hair is in the 4 category. Believe it or not, this has worked for my hair, but i have also put in my leave-in giovanni direct leave in followed by castor oil, my hair is shiny (not greasy) and very curly as it is on my avatar, but now it looks even better since my hair has grown...man, i need an updated pic..lol..remember don't get discouraged, some days your hair will want to do its own thing, and thats okay...love your hair and it will love you back. Also you will find the more products you experiment with you will find there is usually a cheaper natural alternative to ordering several products,especially when you experiment with making your own hair oils and creams, it has saved me so much money, and the best I could have ever done for my hair. Now when I run low, i just whip up a batch. Again, goodluck..sorry so long winded, I just love talking about hair. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
WalkingInDestiny
WalkingInDestiny

Back to top Go down

Post by curlytee 13th May 2010, 8:04 pm

Hello Delta87, First congrats on the BCing. Second, I would recommend that you take it slow with the products. One of the first things i did was start purchasing tons of products. What a waste of money especially on shipping. There are a lot of wonderful products I'm sure, however, You can get the same effects with less expensive products. this is what i recommend for now. Learn your hair before you start putting in different products. Give simple a try I have approximately six inches my regime now while in the shower I wash with vo5 or suave, finger comb my moisture Hello hydration letting it sit while i wash, rake in shea mixture (shea, coconut oil, jojoba oil and a essential oil) then 3 sec rinse. I get the most beautiful curls, Finally i scrunch in a little kinky curly custard or some gel.

Go slow. One thing I'm learning it is not the product that give you the popping curls it is the process. Many women have posted keeping it simple give great results.

Finally, I forgot the website, but there is information about moisture and protein balance and the importance of it. Google it. I found this information very helpful..

Good Luck

Last edited by curlytee on 13th May 2010, 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct spelling)
curlytee
curlytee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 13th May 2010, 8:20 pm

Click here

This is a great article on moisture and protein balance.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 14th May 2010, 6:35 pm

So how did it go? Where are the pics?!!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta87 15th May 2010, 9:41 am

Ok you guys are not going to believe this. I was supposed to meet my hairdresser yesterday morning at 10am, she called me at 9 to see if I could change to 1pm because she had too many people booked(she never does this) I am impatient with two kids and hate waiting in the beauty shop. I said ok, she calls me at 12:30 and asks if I can come at 6pm or Sat morning. I say not Sat morning(going to an art fair with kiddies and husband), Ok I am pissed because I have planned my entire day around my hair [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. As you know I have been anxious all week about my BC, My 2 best friends, 1 natural, 1 permed ,calling me to see how it went, I have driven them both crazy LOL So to wrap it up I am going tonight at 6:30. I am so ready for BC, I will post pic tomorrow.
Delta87
Delta87

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th May 2010, 9:47 am

Hopefully today is the big day! I'll check back for pics tomorrow.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 15th May 2010, 11:09 am

And that story is EXACTLY why I won't miss needing to go to a salon to get my hair done. Once my stylist forgot about the appointment, so I was in the shop waiting for her (on time I might add) and she wasn't even on her way. I still love her, but that and the fact that I'd end up spending 4-5 hours in there between the waiting to get in the chair and the actual styling, and the waiting to get back in the chair so she could finish (Ugh) That was a BIG motivation in going natural. ~lol~ Hopefully you get your BC soon!
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 15th May 2010, 1:17 pm

@muz- yep I definitely do not miss those days! Sometimes I forget exactly how awful the whole relaxer experience was, but those times at the salon were torture lol

@Delta87 - Hope your big chop went well!
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by SweeTea2011 15th May 2010, 1:43 pm

@Delta87...I hope everything went well....can't wait to see your pics!
SweeTea2011
SweeTea2011

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 15th May 2010, 3:18 pm

wow delta; that is EXACTLY why i dont miss havin a perm n goin to the salon. my stylist would do that to me too...matter fact from day 1 and i stayed loyal. which is why i prefer to go to the dominican salon. its faster and ur in n out within 2 hrs. if i schedule for 10am i want to be sittin in that chair no later than 1030, now if IM running late i can understand an hour setback but it got to the point where i couldnt plan nothin definite cuz i never knew when i'd actually sit in the chair...i know such a shame! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] too much!!

im excited for ur bc though and u said the magic word...PRODUCTS [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] dont get these laydeez started. i say, just wing it and learn from ur mistakes. it can definitely be info overload but you'll get to know what ur hair likes n dislikes. stick to a routine (i dc every week too) and pay attn to ur hair. you'll be fine!

cant wait for the pics!!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta87 16th May 2010, 3:31 pm

Ok, I did my BC and I wish I could say I like it but I really don't [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
As soon as my husband gets back I will have him take pics so I can post them. I had her deep condition last night and she cut the remaining perm out, My hair was suprisingly soft and really really thick, I had her coil it so I could take it out this morning, when I woke up it was really, really dry and hard. I did a condition wash with Oyin Honey Hemp Conditioner, Knot Today and put in Kinky Kurly Curling custard. It is still wet right now like a short curly afro. I just don't like it. The funny thing is I don't have any desire to get a perm [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. I just want to like my hair. I will post pics soon to get your thoughts.
Delta87
Delta87

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 16th May 2010, 3:39 pm

D87, you will like it, its new. I cant wait to see the pics so i can tell you how fab-u-lous u look. I will be back.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 16th May 2010, 3:41 pm

I'm sorry you don't like your hair....yet. Don't worry. You will grow to love it.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by pdarden 16th May 2010, 4:47 pm

sometimes it takes a minute to like it... part of that is because it's different from what you previously experienced regarding your hair... i had to stop expecting for it to feel like relaxed hair and get to know my natural hair...
pdarden
pdarden

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down