CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's talk VASELINE on hair!!!

+8
MeMyHair&theCity
tiashaunteé
Intelligentbeauty
Karyn
dajewel
swoodward
popsbaby
oooop2
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Let's talk VASELINE on hair!!! Empty Let's talk VASELINE on hair!!!

Post by oooop2 9th May 2010, 5:39 pm

Is it okay to use if you are only applying on strands (not scalp) and you wash your hair frequently? And I know folks say it's bad b/c it clogs your pores, but what else is wrong with it?
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Let's talk VASELINE on hair!!! Empty Re: Let's talk VASELINE on hair!!!

Post by popsbaby 9th May 2010, 7:56 pm

I think that because it's petroleum, it's a bad idea.
popsbaby
popsbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 9th May 2010, 8:42 pm

as a last ditch effort it may be ok but there are a lot better oils out there for sealing that will actually help your hair. Coconut oil, Shea butter (that one is priced very competitive with Vaseline) are two I can think of.

It is my experience that if it touches your hair it touches your skin.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 9th May 2010, 9:20 pm

vaseline is made of nothing but hydrocarbons. these hydrocarbons do not have an affinity to the chemical structure in the hair and skin, and as such is the reason why the skin and hair doesn't absorb it.

it acts as a barrier from water (because it is chemical structure doesn't allow it to be soluble in water).

improper care and washing will encourage build up on on skin and hair.

why are u interested in using vaseline on the hair strands? am just curious.

how often do you intend to shampoo ur hair if using the vaseline?

keep in mind that due to the chemical nature of vaseline, any styling, moisturizing and conditioning aids will not do anything to your hair; they will just sit on top of the vaseline and this is because of vaseline's chemical structure
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 9th May 2010, 10:48 pm

^^^^^Saw a ladies w/ hair beyond her waist. It was long and silky looking (and all hers). Asked what she did she said, washed and applied vaseline...

Last edited by oooop2 on 9th May 2010, 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 9th May 2010, 11:00 pm

what was her regimen?
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 9th May 2010, 11:25 pm

She basically washes her hair weekly (not sure with what product), applies vaseline to damp hair and wears her hair in a bun. She had it loose today for an engagement. I would say her texture is about a 3a/b.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 9th May 2010, 11:28 pm

Yeah, a lot of ladies on LHCF use vaseline (or Blue Magic) on their hair. Not sure if many people on here will tell you it's a good idea, since I know many ladies on here run away from mineral oil/petroleum. I say go for it and if it doesn't work...it's not the end of the world haha.
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 10th May 2010, 12:07 am

Interesting...................... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 10th May 2010, 1:00 am

how are u proposing to use the mineral oil? i suggest to use it with your fav conditioning, moisturize, strengthening agents because mineral oil will just seal all this goodness onto the cuticle. i can understand why she applies it on wet hair and just buns if that is the only style she intends to wear while vaseline is applied to her hair. i still want to know what specific shampoo the lady's specific is using

i remember coming across a research article some time ago that suggested mineral oil in hair products helps to slow photodamage done to hair from uva rays.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 10th May 2010, 10:35 am

Well on LHCF they are talking about the benefits of Crisco. Who knew?? They only time I've used Crisco was to make pie crust/fry things. I learn so much from these hair boards.

I might try the vaseline on my youngest daughters hair. It's the most forgiving and tends to not hold grease like mine and my oldest daughters hair.

Will report back.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 10th May 2010, 10:55 am

I've been curious about the vaseline - I can see it being helpful if you are using it to seal in moisture. My mom used to grease our ends down when we were little and they were strong and healthy. My hair started going down hill when I was taking care of it on my own.
I am going back to bunning during the week- I may just give it a shot. I have a ton of vaseline and hair grease leftover from my press n curl days.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by popsbaby 10th May 2010, 11:10 am

Crisco rocks!!!
popsbaby
popsbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by MeMyHair&theCity 10th May 2010, 12:12 pm

I would shy away from using an product that could potentially cause my hair to not retain moisture. After all, our hair thrives on moisture. Any product that will coat my hair shaft and keep moisture from entering would be a no no.

Sidenote: Just because a particular regimen or product works for one person does not mean that it will work for me; everyone's hair is different and thus will react differently. I am hesitant to jump on any band wagon or try someone's "this will make your hair grow 6" in two months" regimen just because they rave that it has done wonders for them. If what I am doing works for me I am less likely to sacrifice the health and possible length of my hair just to see if what worked for her will work for me. Nothing is wrong with adopting the techniques of others but, I would do so with caution and after much research.
MeMyHair&theCity
MeMyHair&theCity

http://memyhairandthecity.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 10th May 2010, 12:31 pm

naturalhairaddict, vaseline does not cause hair to not retain moisture. in fact, it is use in hair care (and other industries) to seal in moisture because one of its main functions is a barrier to water. i don't suggest applying it to the hair if there is no moisture already in the hair. regardless, u have to be sure to thoroughly wash it out of the hair, as it will cause build up on the scalp and hair strands. i do agree with you that you can't just jump on any band wagon. i don't, and is why i have such a simple regimen.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 10th May 2010, 12:45 pm

As others wrote, I think the key is to have well moisturized hair before applying it and cleansing the hair and scalp thoroughly after using. I would think adding it after moisture and sealing with oil may be okay since it would not allow the moisture to evaporate. The moisture and oil will penetrate and not leave the hair strands due to the Vaseline.

I look forward to reading how it worked for your daughter's hair.

Love the avatar BTW!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 10th May 2010, 12:47 pm

Ditto what dajewel just said. Most of the individuals that use Vaseline or hair grease use it after making sure that there hair is moisturized.

I think that is why Chicoro's method worked so well with keeping my ends from breaking. She slathers on the moisture and penetrating products and then seals them all in with Vaseline. I did it a few times but with shea and I got very nice results. The shea didn't stick around as long as Vaseline would so I would like to test this theory

@oooop2: Have you tried this on your daughter yet?
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MeMyHair&theCity 10th May 2010, 12:53 pm

@ dajewl, I was referring to the act of Vaseline sealing the hair shaft and not allowing additional moisture to enter. For our hair water is moisture; so, if used improperly, placed on the hair with no moisturizing element underneath (as you stated), it can cause your hair not to absorb (water) moisture.

My point is not on the retention of moisture but rather the absorption. I wouldn't want to use a product that does not continuously allow my hair to absorb moisture.

Thanks for the comment; it allowed me to better explain my opinion.
MeMyHair&theCity
MeMyHair&theCity

http://memyhairandthecity.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonezy 10th May 2010, 2:10 pm

For the last few months I've been using un-petroleum(does not contain petroleum, but has the same thickness/feel of Vaseline). Ingredients: "Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, Pg-3 Beeswax, Sorbitan Tristearate, Silica, Tocopherol (vitamin E), Natural Flavor"

As Dajewel, Tia, & Chrsluvsbks suggested--I apply it after I moisturize, seal with oil, then double seal with the jelly on my ends. So far my split ends have been less using it... I haven't straightened my hair in several months, or pulled on it to check the length-- so I'm not sure how much length I have retained while using.
Jonezy
Jonezy

http://www.bleucoiffure.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 10th May 2010, 2:23 pm

naturalhairaddict, the issue of absorption would not be an issue if the hair has moisture and a powerful humectant along with any other goodness before Vaseline application.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 10th May 2010, 2:33 pm

I believe that is what Chicoro uses too. UN-PETROLEUM
Now that would make sense to me. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 10th May 2010, 2:49 pm

Sounds like her length could also be due to her regimen. Type 3 hair may not be as dry as type 4. And since she buns most of the time and isn't manipulating her hair often, growth would be likely. Before I went natural, I used to frown at people who had long beautiful hair but always kept it in buns. I use to think what's the point of them having all that hair if they're not gonna fix it... Now I know better.

But I'd say, if your current routine is working I wouldn't change it based on one case. Unless you were having issues. Your hair looks great. So I'm sure your daughters isn't far behind.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 10th May 2010, 3:22 pm

I agree w/ JnB. If I loaded A's hair up with vaseline like that type 3a/b woman does I doubt we would get the same results. If I saw a 4a woman with fabulous results from using vaseline then I *might* consider it on her ends....MIGHT. lol Otherwise I can't quite see the benefits.

My hair is wavy, wasit length, for about 2.5-3yrs now I cut 8 inches off each year (and I'm due for a cut) my "routine" (if you even want to call it that lol) is very very very simple. I add absolutely no product to my hair and keep it in a bun. This is mostly because I'm busy doing mommy duties but that's all I really do. Every once in a while I might try to style it but that's rare nowadays. Would that routine work on A? Heck no. lol

I'd be interested in hearing an update about your daughters hair though!
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 10th May 2010, 3:41 pm

this is a very interesting convo, guys! love it!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 10th May 2010, 4:02 pm

Never heard of UN-PETROLEUM....Where is it sold? What is Chicoro's hair texture? I wish I could say this ladies hair was weighed down, but it definitely wasn't. So I'll assume w/her hair texture she isn't using but so much vaseline.

I started to use some vaseline while for my daughters hair yesterday, but I had already started using Qhemet Olive Oil heavy cream on my oldest daughters hair and was too lazy to run upstair just to get some vaseline. So I'll try it this weekend when I redo her hair.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next