CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 questions, 1. glycerin 2. sealing

5 posters

Go down

2 questions,  1. glycerin  2. sealing Empty 2 questions, 1. glycerin 2. sealing

Post by Lysheba89 5th May 2010, 11:16 pm

Hi everyone
I'm new to this site, like I literally joined yesterday. Normally I'm a lurker on many blogs/forums, but everyone here seems really responsive and supportive, so here I go!

Ok, so I have first-aid grade glycerin in my medicine cabinet, and I went ahead and used it in my hair today, and I was wondering if I should've. It feels fine, but for the record I co-washed this morning but left a lot of the conditioner in my hair, then added the glycerin so it's hard to tell if it's the conditioner that's making my hair feel good.Anyways my point is, is drugstore /first-aid grade glycerin fine?

Secondly I wondering about moisturizing and sealing in general. If you rinse your hair with really cold water, which essentially seals it, what's the point of moisturizing afterwards? Does the moisture even penetrate if you're just coming out of a cold shower? Is adding oil effective/necessary/ or just a bonus when sealing?

These are probably really silly questions but I would love the insight of such beautiful, knowledgeable and proud curly ladies!
Lysheba89
Lysheba89

Back to top Go down

2 questions,  1. glycerin  2. sealing Empty Re: 2 questions, 1. glycerin 2. sealing

Post by ChrsLvsBks 6th May 2010, 12:06 am

First, love your hair!

Second, if you are in the DMV June 5, we are planning a meet up. Details will be posted in the Curly Meet Up - DC thread.

Okay to your questions. Most use vegetable glycerin. I Googled first-aid grade glycerin and nada.

Most curly headed folks need moisture. The likelihood of most of us over-moisturizing is pretty small (It can happen. I have done it.). Moisturizing after rinsing in cool water for me just means the cuticle is closed and my hair will retain the moisture inside. The outside layer of the hair may need more moisture so we add more. Sealing helps the moisture stay. Your hair may become frizzy or dry if you do not seal. With frizz and dryness comes less definition and less manageable hair.

HTH
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

2 questions,  1. glycerin  2. sealing Empty Re: 2 questions, 1. glycerin 2. sealing

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 6th May 2010, 10:47 am

I've only used vegetable glycerin with my spritzes and sealing your hair with natural oils and butters will retain the moisture you've added from your cowashes and moisturizers. I cowashed today and used the coldest water I could stand during my final rinse. My hair was soft and luscious.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 14th May 2010, 1:23 pm

I agree with the above ladies. Sealing for me is essential in retaining the moisture provided by my co-washes and deep treatments. I have some vegetable glycerin but have yet to use it, but have heard greatthings about it, not too sure about the first-aid kind of glycerin..
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 14th May 2010, 1:26 pm

Lysheba89 i LOVE your hair!!
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Lysheba89 18th May 2010, 8:04 pm

Thanks ladies! I figured sealing is necessary, but I was wondering about the effectiveness of moisturizing after rinsing with really cold water. In general, I'm always afraid that the moisturizers I use aren't really sinking into my strands, and as of now, I don't really have a way to tell if they are. Now, this may be because I have really porous hair so even though I moisturize all the time, it dries up pretty fast-like a sponge. So obviously I should be more consistent with my sealing.

I'd love your tips about sealing. Right now I mix coconut oil with my Carol's Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey and some castor oil and rub it through my ends-but is there a way that you guys seal that is more thorough, like do you dip your hair in the oil? Or do you twist your hair and apply your sealant to each twist-I find all of that really time consuming!

and thanks for the compliments!
Lysheba89
Lysheba89

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down