CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weaves VS Natural Hair (videos part 1-5)

+12
lumii
ChrsLvsBks
QuietButterfly
Karyn
natural newbie
Juices-n-Berries
Spiralos
tiashaunteƩ
tashafawn24
SighSidhe
sweetdrk1
NikG20
16 posters

Go down

Weaves VS Natural Hair (videos part 1-5) Empty Weaves VS Natural Hair (videos part 1-5)

Post by NikG20 4th May 2010, 2:56 pm

So I'm watching this right now, I'm all backwards because I started with Part 3 (with the men) and now I'm on Part 2. Part 2 so far is definitely interesting, love the look the natural girl has on her face. lol! Anyway I thought you all might want to check it out:

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ3SkVB_gUk

Part 2: (this is what I'm currently watching, there's a natural woman and relaxed woman)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxZFvoSO2LE

Part 3: (male perspective)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M_xdgyk-F4

Part 4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf6pOHK6Cnk

Part 5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Llcf68JuRY
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Weaves VS Natural Hair (videos part 1-5) Empty Re: Weaves VS Natural Hair (videos part 1-5)

Post by NikG20 4th May 2010, 2:57 pm

Why is she saying in part 2 when you put shea butter in your hair that's not natural? Umm....okay.
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Weaves VS Natural Hair (videos part 1-5) Empty Re: Weaves VS Natural Hair (videos part 1-5)

Post by NikG20 4th May 2010, 2:58 pm

Oh so to her as soon as you put in product you're not natural. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 4th May 2010, 3:01 pm

ok I have to watch this when I get home tonight! Thanks!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 4th May 2010, 3:13 pm

I'm on part 1 now, lol. The woman with the weave seems defensive for no reason. Like in the beginning of the video when the natural started talking she kind of did the whole huff and puff. I think it's obvious that she is actually not comfortable in her own skin, whether she says she is or not. I don't think anyone was saying it's bad to wear weaves but she just had her guard up.

Off to part 4....(I'm all over the place)
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by SighSidhe 4th May 2010, 4:28 pm

lol the first woman w/ the weave (Love i think her name was) was kinda off.. she kept switching her definition of natural and used the age old "well you use conditioner's.. how is that natural?" argument.. she's a ridiculous person
and what was w/ that 'natural' hairdresser at the beginning of part4? chemically treated hair is more versitile?!?! another ridiculous person

at least the second weaved woman was somewhat coherent.. but c'mon.. personality pieces?
~that just makes me think of "fifteen pieces of flair" from Office Space..

and i'm so sick of non-naturals (and a few YT naturals) sayin "you color your hair.. how is that natural?" like they've just said something sooo clever! (more ridiculous people)
natural and all-natural are two different things! (*sigh)
SighSidhe
SighSidhe

Back to top Go down

Post by tashafawn24 4th May 2010, 5:25 pm

I'm with you SighSidhe; it's like the difference between being a vegetarian and being a vegan are two different things so natural and all-natural are two completely different things.

The weave-lady acted as though being natural causes you to not put any care or natural products into your hair! She sound so dumb when she kept refering to the Cantu shea butter like that's real shea butter, she had no idea that real unrefined shea butter is from the Earth!

To me, people can do what they want with their hair, I don't argue because we were all relaxed at one point but when she's running around talking about her hair is missing in the front, back, sides, and crown she'll think twice about not giving her hair a break from those weaves...them weaves can either break your wallet or your hair (which ever comes first).
tashafawn24
tashafawn24

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteĆ© 4th May 2010, 6:01 pm

It almost seems like a spoof - the weave girl is smiling too hard.
tiashaunteƩ
tiashaunteƩ

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiralos 4th May 2010, 8:59 pm

Personally, I think the director of this talk show (or whatever it was) would have done better with getting a natural vs. weaves perspective if they interviewed the two natural ladies together and then weave/relaxed ladies in a different segment. I don't understand why the segment was divided like that other than to show, dare I say, a 'light vs. dark' skin perspective. Even the two men interviewed were kinda set up that way. Did anyone else notice the difference in the aura the two different segments the two groups of ladies presented. The first group of ladies kinda battled in a way. The second group of ladies were laid back and non-defensive of each other. I agree with tiashauntee, it doesn't seem totally genuine to me, just thrown together.
Spiralos
Spiralos

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 4th May 2010, 9:50 pm

I haven't watched the videos yet... but from the conversation being had I'm not even sure if I want to. Lol. I've been on both sides. Right before I was natural I got sucked into the world of weave. But now that I have been "enlightened" I can't believe I went down that path. And honestly after seeing how weaves are made in Good Hair it grosses me out. Like I knew it was human hair, but I never thought about the fact that it actually grew out of a scalp. Lol. And like Tashafawn said, it will break your hair or your bank. Especially if you get that good Indi Remi, it's $80 a bag. And you need two bags. And then, that's not including the cost of instillation. When I think about how much I used to spend on that, my PJism doesn't even seem bad. Lol.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 4th May 2010, 10:30 pm

Well dang tia I hope I wasn't fooled! LOL
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by natural newbie 4th May 2010, 11:01 pm

Ummm I noticed something that made me upset. IMO the natural girl was the one who kept making faces and rolling her eyes, which was unecessary! It reminded me of when I was in undergrad (I attended a HBCU) and I was permie, the other natural girls treated me as though I was lost on "blackness". [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I am sorry just because you have an afro and an Africa shirt on it doesn't mean you own your blackness, and some one with a perm or a press doesn't. My skin color doesn't rub off and to quote WEB Dubois "When and where I enter the WHOLE race enters with me." We have to be careful not to exude a behavior that reeks of superiority because we are all in it together. My hair is an EXTENSION of me but not the WHOLE me. "You can have NATURAL hair but a PROCCESED mind" E. Badu.
Calming down now to watch the rest of the clips.
natural newbie
natural newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 4th May 2010, 11:23 pm

Part 1: That chick with the afro and her Africa shirt made me think of that video Cherry posted "So Called Naturals" about the stereotypical natural [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] She seemed a little pretentious.

Ain't nothing wrong with a little weave, but her hair should be down to her feet with all that protective styling

Part 2: WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?! Why wouldn't you put products in your hair?! Lmfao. Apparently, she's pretentious too. What a snooty person. She also must not know how to take of any type of hair because unless you wanna have your hair lookin dry and constantly rockin a TWA cause your hair won't grow if you just let it be so you can be "natural" [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Part 3: NOT EVERYONE THAT HAS NATURAL HAIR HAS AN AFRO AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! That annoys me so much. Darrick is on point with arguement; if it looks good, do you.

Part 4: Chemical hair most versatile? Huh? That doesn't even make any sense. I'm getting heated over here lmao

No one really discussed relaxers *shrugs*

natural newbie wrote:Ummm I noticed something that made me upset. IMO
the natural girl was the one who kept making faces and rolling
her eyes, which was unecessary! It reminded me of when I was in
undergrad (I attended a HBCU) and I was permie, the other natural girls
treated me as though I was lost on "blackness". [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I am sorry
just because you have an afro and an Africa shirt on it doesn't mean you
own your blackness, and some one with a perm or a press doesn't. My
skin color doesn't rub off and to quote WEB Dubois "When and where I
enter the WHOLE race enters with me." We have to be careful not to exude
a behavior that reeks of superiority because we are all in it together.
My hair is an EXTENSION of me but not the WHOLE me. "You can have
NATURAL hair but a PROCCESED mind" E. Badu.
Calming down now to
watch the rest of the clips.

This is why I'm afraid of going to an HBCU. I CANNOT tolerate pretentious people. Yeah, I'm natural & I'm a vegetarian, but don't come around addressing to me as "my sista" and looking down upon other people just cause of their hair style. And I don't want girls with relaxed hair thinking I think I'm better than them cause I wear twists/twist outs/etc or even them thinking they're better than me cause... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

In short, I don't really care how anyone else wears their hair.

Weaves/Wigs/Extensions: can be a great PS, as long as you take care of your hair. My opinion of weaves has gotten a lot more lax since browsing hair boards cause I used to be like "ew". Now, I'm just utterly confused when I see chicks with afro wigs and weaves. Why not just grow it from your scalp? Lmao

Relaxers: ...er...well that's cool if you like to wear you're hair straight the majority of the time or you like some super slicked down buns hahaha

Natural: it's cool too and imo the most versatile. 9 times out of 10, our hair can hold a curl for longer than a day [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and then you can go ahead and straighten it the next day and the next day, you could pick it out and rock a [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Karyn on 4th May 2010, 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 4th May 2010, 11:35 pm

That's interesting because I sensed the attitude from the one with the weave. Did anyone catch the huff & puff in the very beginning as soon as they got started?

I think the natural had the look on her face because of the other womans comments. The whole if you put products in your hair you're not natural. I would have had the same look on my face. Often times we're not aware that our thoughts come through our facial expressions. I know this has happened to me a few times. lol

I don't like the whole "versus" idea but I would definitely enjoy watching a variety of people talk about hair without getting too defensive. It really surprises me what people think about various hair topics. I have heard some interesting things...

Last edited by NikG20 on 5th May 2010, 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 4th May 2010, 11:37 pm

lol Part 3. Did you see dudes big pause after she asked him the question? Well, yes or no? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by QuietButterfly 4th May 2010, 11:39 pm

oookkkkk, did I hear that right?? The young lady in the first vid with the weave said she would never go natural because she would literally have to take a Tylenol or something extra strength to come through her own hair?!?!?! I'm sorry, but that is hilarious!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
QuietButterfly
QuietButterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 5th May 2010, 12:22 am

Okay, so I watched all five episodes. Yes, NikG20, I noticed the lady with the weave exhale from the jump. Unfortunately, she seemed a bit confused. She said she was natural but shampooed and conditioned her hair. Then when the natural lady explained she used shea butter and olive oil the other lady said she was not natural because she used them. Huh? What? She just claimed to be natural since she had new growth and she used shampoo and conditioner.

Oh yeah and the stylist saying relaxed hair is more versatile, huh, really? How come? I think both can be versatile.

Personality pieces, wow, really (I'm writing really a lot)?

I really (why stop now) like the young men's perspectives. I have definitely asked my boys if they have a preference. They both said, "no, as long as she took care of it." I felt proud [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .

Thanks for the links NikG.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by natural newbie 5th May 2010, 2:09 pm

@Karen I also hate pretentious people as well but you will find that attiude everywhere. I stated that I went to an HBCU to follow up with the message that hair doesn't define your blackness and only you can define yourself. I had a wonderful time at my school and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I encourage you to research all the schools you are considering with a vist to the campus. That way you can speak to the students directly and get a feel for the school.

@NIKG20 I saw the relaxed girl sigh and she said somethings that was out there but the natural girl kinda gave a look when the host introduced the girl and said she had a lovely weave. But they both were throwing shade at each other which was uncalled for. I like how the last two girls were able to have a mature converstation about it. I love my lil natural curly fro and wouldn't perm again but no judgement to whoever does use the "creamy crack" lol. I love your daughters hair btw. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by natural newbie on 5th May 2010, 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling/content)
natural newbie
natural newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by lumii 5th May 2010, 3:10 pm

^^I'll definitely watch all of this when I have some more time..
lumii
lumii

Back to top Go down

Post by Music8192 5th May 2010, 5:00 pm

LOL.I have laugh @ this. I did not watch all of this, but from parts one & 2 , this is not a good example for people to see. I even hate the thought of there being this natural vs. relaxed thing. People can do what ever they want with their hair.

The young lady with the weave in her hair, she just sounded so ignorant, and she was contradicting her self wasn't really making any sense.Suspect And she was so defensive whereas the natural girl was so passive.

When you put out Natural VS Relaxed, its an automatic negative connotation. Like there is a underlying battle between natural and relaxed ladies and its such a BIG ISSUE.

It should have been something more open, or general or something like hair talk for women... lol...
Music8192
Music8192

Back to top Go down

Post by curlygirlinastraightworld 5th May 2010, 5:17 pm

The only thing I enjoyed was the two brothers talking about their thoughts on the matter. The ladies in part 1 were alittle scary. She taking being natural to the extreme, Right?
curlygirlinastraightworld
curlygirlinastraightworld

Back to top Go down

Post by tiffytaffey 5th May 2010, 5:22 pm

QuietButterfly wrote:oookkkkk, did I hear that right?? The young lady in the first vid with the weave said she would never go natural because she would literally have to take a Tylenol or something extra strength to come through her own hair?!?!?! I'm sorry, but that is hilarious!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I am still laughing at that comment.......I mean really a Tylenol.
tiffytaffey
tiffytaffey

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 7th May 2010, 11:48 am

yeah, so i watched all of the videos...can someone help love and the other girl with the ridiculous weave about natural means???
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down