CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while.

+49
summerbreeze76
mizcreativelyme
jaybella
rayray19
Umph
Treece
curlya
BajanPrincess82
mrsmackey
blondie
PaganWifey
wyldhoney
CocaColaCutie
WhosThatRedHead
priceless
MellowOne
swoodward
TheRYL1
BrownSkinDiva
mstokes2008
TMS
FemmeFox
Pinkrage
iri9109
LaToya28
ktoliver5303
CocoEuro
CrissyQ
poeticlyspkng
jlowman1
DvaAuNaturel
Curly_Aquarius
~JOME~
bholmes87
ChrsLvsBks
Karyn
krazy coils
CurlsGalore
AfrikanLatina
Juices-n-Berries
SheeTacular
BlondeByDesire
KinkyNappyHappy
gigihaitiancurly
sweetdrk1
Intelligentbeauty
Lynnieluve
NubieNatty
LadyMika
53 posters

Page 8 of 22 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next

Go down

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Empty Re: Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while.

Post by DvaAuNaturel 24th May 2010, 4:26 pm

Beautiful guitar! My dad has a bass guitar that is collecting dust. He used to play in a band. It's really nice also.

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Lol @ silly co-workers. I'm like 8-4, 5, 6 whatever. But let's keep it separate. I've learned and been burned that way. No more. A co-worker/friend got pissed off because I got promoted to a job she and I both interviewed for. I told her to apply. Anyway, she acted like a DAYUM Fool about a job. Her own family told her not to ruin our friendship over the job. She ended up getting promoted 5 months later. I learned a valuable lesson from that, business is business and keep friendships/outside affairs separate. They need to grow up, as you said, and keep you out of their mess.

Your BF is right. Love that statement.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Empty Re: Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while.

Post by FemmeFox 25th May 2010, 1:28 pm

Knock knock, are you home?
I'll try to catch you at the train station.
FemmeFox
FemmeFox

Back to top Go down

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Empty Of Washes, Shea, Mangoes and Aloe.

Post by LadyMika 25th May 2010, 1:39 pm

Hello all!

Yesterday went pretty fast, though I felt bloated all damn day because I overate. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_neutral Impossible to imagine with my being thin, but I DO NOT like to feel stuffed until the seams threaten to pop. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Kopfschuettel I eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full...let's call yesterday a relapse of my old eating habits. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_redface

At any rate.

After work, I came home and set right to work for two things.

First, is my Shea-Mango-Aloe mix. Here is the recipe:

--1/2 lb of unrefined shea butter
--1/2 lb of unrefined mango butter
--About 1/2 cup of aloe vera gel
--4 (large spoons) of extra virgin coconut oil
--Castor oil
--Grapeseed oil
--Tea Tree oil (preservative)
--Rosemary oil

I usually eyeball the amounts of the other carrier oils (grapeseed, castor, jojoba, etc.) based on the amount of mix I have in the bowl. After I was done whipping it, it looked like this:

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 DSCN0622

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 DSCN0624

I give it the look and consistency of fresh cream. It melts VERY easily and goes on VERY smooth. It also moisturized my skin NICELY. I washed my face with my black soap, added my tea tree oil, put this mix on and went to bed. Woke up with SOFT skin that was NOT too dry at all. (My face was actually quite smooth!) As for my hair, it makes a nice, LIGHT sealant and moisturizer. (I attribute that to the aloe vera gel.) My hair prefers HEAVIER moisturizers and sealants, but with the heat making an early debut, something LIGHTER would be better for my scalp.

Now for the Aloe Grow. Mind you, the ORIGINAL recipe that I found off YouTube is as follows:

--1 cup of water
--1 1/2 cups of aloe vera gel
--5-10 drops sage oil
--5-10 drops peppermint oil
--5-10 drops of eucalyptus oil

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 DSCN0625

*I* added rosemary oil (10 drops), tea tree oil (10 drops), and some KCKT (I used the same mix but substituted with the Knot Today and enjoyed it. Plus, I don't want the Knot Today to just sit in my cabinet.). This will serve as my leave-in spray until it finishes, then I'll give a final verdict. I DID give it a test run last night, and it woke Gypsy RIGHT up after being shrunken from the Afroveda PUR Whipped Gelly.

Today for my wash day, I cleansed with the black soap, DC'd with my Giovanni mix (coconut oil, honey, peppermint and rosemary essential oils), and sprayed my hair with the Aloe Grow. I followed that up with the Shea-Mango-Aloe mix and my castor oil, and I'm liking the results. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_smile I also have some definition. (w00t for aloe vera gel!) I'll keep everyone up to date on how these two mixes fair.

As for my plans for today, I've got laundry in the dryer, boiling water for pasta, some sketches I'd like to work on, practice and then my guitar lesson at 6:30 tonight. Also on my plate is getting the yarn to do my braids since that fell through over the weekend. I enjoy having a FULL day off, as opposed to rolling out of bed around this time (12:30-1pm) and epically failing at keeping myself occupied throughout the day. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_rolleyes

And that's about it for now. It's a nice day outside (FINALLY!!) and I plan on enjoying it. Hope everyone does the same!

Deuces. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_cool
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 25th May 2010, 1:45 pm

DvaAuNaturel wrote:Beautiful guitar! My dad has a bass guitar that is collecting dust. He used to play in a band. It's really nice also.

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Lol @ silly co-workers. I'm like 8-4, 5, 6 whatever. But let's keep it separate. I've learned and been burned that way. No more. A co-worker/friend got pissed off because I got promoted to a job she and I both interviewed for. I told her to apply. Anyway, she acted like a DAYUM Fool about a job. Her own family told her not to ruin our friendship over the job. She ended up getting promoted 5 months later. I learned a valuable lesson from that, business is business and keep friendships/outside affairs separate. They need to grow up, as you said, and keep you out of their mess.

Thank you! What kind of music did your father play? We mostly play/listen to a lot of classic rock, blues and jazz (Miles Davis era, not so much the new jazz) in our house. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_smile I've been in my boyfriend's tail about not playing his bass anymore. He'd rather sing, but he can do both (extremely well). I look at him like "Shouldn't YOU be auditioning for bands??" He kills me sometimes. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_rolleyes

FemmeFox wrote:Knock knock, are you home?
I'll try to catch you at the train station.

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_bounce On my way there! Give me fifteen minutes! Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_lol
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 25th May 2010, 4:00 pm

Hey Mika, Love the recipes I might try them! Catch ya later Very Happy
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 26th May 2010, 6:01 pm

Hey LadyMika! I thought of you this weekend. The HellCity tattoo convention was held in our downtown. I really wanted to go but I kind of forgot. Ratz. Next time though. Reading your posts makes me miss my bc. That was a great time and yours looks fantastic.
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 26th May 2010, 6:17 pm

Curly_Aquarius wrote:Hey Mika, Love the recipes I might try them! Catch ya later Very Happy

Yeah, give them a try! Especially the shealoe. It's only been a couple of days, but I'm really enjoying it.

poeticlyspkng wrote:Hey LadyMika! I thought of you this weekend. The HellCity tattoo convention was held in our downtown. I really wanted to go but I kind of forgot. Ratz. Next time though. Reading your posts makes me miss my bc. That was a great time and yours looks fantastic.

Aww! There's always a next time (and other conventions!). Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_smile

Thank you for the kind words. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Herz I miss the length I had, but I'm definitely having a lot of fun with the short look. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_cheers
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by FemmeFox 26th May 2010, 7:36 pm

Hey Mika!

Hope you had fun on your day off! The recipes look good, I may try them out!
FemmeFox
FemmeFox

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 26th May 2010, 7:36 pm

Hey Lady Mika,

How often do you apply the shea-mango-aloe mix to your face?
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 26th May 2010, 11:38 pm

Now Mika, With the Shea Mango I have a question...... I'm terrible allergic to mangos and I wonder if I can still use it and not have hives?
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 27th May 2010, 2:22 pm

FemmeFox wrote:Hey Mika!

Hope you had fun on your day off! The recipes look good, I may try them out!

Hey Femme! Hope you have a good day! Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_smile

krazy coils wrote:Hey Lady Mika,

How often do you apply the shea-mango-aloe mix to your face?

Hey KC. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_smile

I apply it twice a day right after washing my face. I try not to be heavy handed with it because it'll make me look a little greasy. Other than that, my skin soaks it right up.

Curly_Aquarius wrote:Now Mika, With the Shea Mango I have a question...... I'm terrible allergic to mangos and I wonder if I can still use it and not have hives?

I honestly don't know. If it's anything like a citrus allergy (where any part of the fruit can instigate a reaction) I wouldn't try it. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Kopfschuettel However, I know Lynnie has a shea COCOA aloe mix you can try instead. I would rather you substitute the mango with another butter, instead of risk hives (and lose money).
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 27th May 2010, 3:21 pm

Hey lady, I love your shea-mango-aloe mix. Vey nice!!! Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_biggrin
I will have to try that once I get some shea butter........ Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_lol
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 27th May 2010, 5:03 pm

Hello all!

I co-washed my hair today with the Yes To Cucumbers condish, since I had some mild buildup from the last two days. Yesterday was GAWD AWFUL it was so hot. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_sad And HUMID. I was baking harder than a potato. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_neutral The weather douchebag said "It'll be a PLEASANT comfortable day today with a high of 85". But I peeped the temperature when I got into midtown and it said NINETY-FRIGGIN-SEVEN. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_pale See, that's why you don't believe a damn thing those so-called weather people say. ALL THEY DO IS LIE!!! Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_evil

Nevertheless, I bought the yarn I need for my yarn braids. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_cheers Four rolls of black yarn and a roll of purple for highlights. I'm keeping my hair braided for the summer, so whatever's left over will be used in the next session. I'll keep them in for up to five weeks, let Gypsy out for one week, then braids again for five more weeks. I'm trying to keep my hands out of my hair and let Gypsy do her thing. I've got MORE than enough to catch, so I'll get started on Saturday afternoon (right after I get home from work) and hopefully finish sometime after midnight. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_smile I'll do a length check both here AND in the TWA challenge thread.

This is day three of using the Aloe Grow and shea-mango-aloe mix, and I'm liking the results. My skin is smooth, and Gypsy is POPPIN' with definition. I can definitely see some growth; my edges aren't as naked as they were two months ago. I won't be able to use the shea mix while my hair is braided, but I'll keep up with the Aloe Grow and castor oil. I'll share my regimen to keep my braids fresh after I install them.

But for now, it's a do nothing day. Practice, Bedroom Hustle, and spending a lot of time doing...well...nothing! Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_lol

Have a great day everyone.
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by FemmeFox 28th May 2010, 6:42 pm

Haaaaaaaaaay bedroom hustle!

Can't wait to see the braids. I'm wearing my hair out for the summer (but mainly in protective styles) so I can practice my cornrow skills. I will be installing kinky twists after August. It's hard having your hair hidden when you're used to playing in it all the time.

Have a good weekend! Hope you don't melt!! Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_biggrin
FemmeFox
FemmeFox

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 28th May 2010, 7:25 pm

LadyMika wrote:
DvaAuNaturel wrote:Beautiful guitar! My dad has a bass guitar that is collecting dust. He used to play in a band. It's really nice also.

Thank you! What kind of music did your father play? We mostly play/listen to a lot of classic rock, blues and jazz (Miles Davis era, not so much the new jazz) in our house. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_smile I've been in my boyfriend's tail about not playing his bass anymore. He'd rather sing, but he can do both (extremely well). I look at him like "Shouldn't YOU be auditioning for bands??" He kills me sometimes. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_rolleyes

My dad played music similar to New Birth, Tower of Power, Graham Central Central, Rose Royce...stuff like that. But he listens to ALL kinds of different music though. Not sure why he stopped playing....who knows...lol!
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 28th May 2010, 8:10 pm

Intelligentbeauty wrote:Hey lady, I love your shea-mango-aloe mix. Vey nice!!! Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_biggrin
I will have to try that once I get some shea butter........ Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_lol

Yes, do give it a try! At least try it for your skin. I love the way it feels. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_smile

FemmeFox wrote:Haaaaaaaaaay bedroom hustle!

Can't wait to see the braids. I'm wearing my hair out for the summer (but mainly in protective styles) so I can practice my cornrow skills. I will be installing kinky twists after August. It's hard having your hair hidden when you're used to playing in it all the time.

Have a good weekend! Hope you don't melt!! Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_biggrin

Gotta love that Hustle! Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_bounce Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_lol

Funny you mention kinky twists, they were the first style I tried with extensions. They turned out to be EPIC FAIL because I'm ALLERGIC to synthetic hair. Something in it, the chemicals, the dyes, I don't know but it all set my scalp ABLAZE. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Kopfschuettel And human hair is too damn expensive (and I don't support that aspect of the hair industry), so I switched to yarn. I can go with a protective style for a WHILE, because I'm lazy. If I DON'T have to do it, then I'll do what I can to avoid it. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_lol

The weather's going to be great! Not too hot, just rainy and cool. Enjoy your weekend! Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_smile
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 28th May 2010, 8:26 pm

DvaAuNaturel wrote:
LadyMika wrote:

My dad played music similar to New Birth, Tower of Power, Graham Central Central, Rose Royce...stuff like that. But he listens to ALL kinds of different music though. Not sure why he stopped playing....who knows...lol!

My mom had something by Rose Royce (can't remember for the life of me). I'll ask her about it next time I talk to her. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_smile The boyfriend turned me on to Muddy Waters and I've been (trying) to play some of his songs. EPIC FAIL every time but I'm loving it. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_lol
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 29th May 2010, 9:34 am

Morning LadyM

I see you have a full day planned. I can't wait to see your braids. I'll be checking back tonight for sure!!

Enjoy your day!!

KNH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 29th May 2010, 9:46 am

stopping by to say hi!
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 31st May 2010, 12:56 am

Just dropping in to post pics of my yarn braids, since I know a few people were waiting to see them.

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 DSCN0629

I typically pull the front away from my face so I can see. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Affraid But it makes a simple, but professional look for work.

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 DSCN0638

Tired Ol' Stink Face. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Kopfschuettel (12 hours of braiding non-stop. I was dead tired.) Just like the FIRST set I installed last October, these are WAIST LENGTH. I can do more styles with this length than I can BSL.
I'll post about the regimen I'll be using after I get some sleep. I am
KAPUTSKY. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Sleep

Good night everyone.
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 31st May 2010, 1:41 am

MUDDY WATERS!!! Grew up with my grandma and grandpa slow rocking to his blues!! I swear I hear him and Clifton Chenier (Zydeco) in my sleep sometimes.

I love the braids on you Mika!! I wish I could stand extensions in my hair I would so attempt these. You did a excellent job Very Happy
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 31st May 2010, 1:43 am

LadyMika wrote:
DvaAuNaturel wrote:
LadyMika wrote:

My mom had something by Rose Royce (can't remember for the life of me). I'll ask her about it next time I talk to her. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_smile The boyfriend turned me on to Muddy Waters and I've been (trying) to play some of his songs. EPIC FAIL every time but I'm loving it. Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Icon_lol
Didn't they make "Car Wash"?? Only remember cause my mom is something of a soul sista and still think this is the business Rolling Eyes
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 31st May 2010, 1:46 am

Hey Lady Mika,

Stopping through to say hi and your braids are lovely!
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 31st May 2010, 2:46 am

Your braids are very cute. I understand how you feel with sitting down non stop for 12 hours. I would have been watery eyed tired by now.
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 31st May 2010, 11:47 am

hey mika the mixtress!! i had to jot down the recipe before i slid down to admire your WAIST length braids Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 8 Affraid , girl i can only imagine how grueling those 12 hrs were! EEEK!! but they look good. how long are u gonna keep em? i remember i had the janet jackson braids that long and they got on my NERVES!!!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 22 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next