CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Natural Hair Care forum at my school tomorrow!

+2
Juices-n-Berries
Dannibeau24
6 posters

Go down

Natural Hair Care forum at my school tomorrow! Empty Natural Hair Care forum at my school tomorrow!

Post by Dannibeau24 29th April 2010, 2:37 am

Hi Everybody,

I am putting on a Natural Hair Care forum tomorrow at my school and I wanted to get some advice for the forum I need everyone's DO'S AND DON'TS for transitioning to natural hair. Please give me all you can.

Thanks & God Bless,
Dannibeau 24
Dannibeau24
Dannibeau24

Back to top Go down

Natural Hair Care forum at my school tomorrow! Empty Re: Natural Hair Care forum at my school tomorrow!

Post by Juices-n-Berries 29th April 2010, 2:47 am

Good luck with your event!
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Natural Hair Care forum at my school tomorrow! Empty Re: Natural Hair Care forum at my school tomorrow!

Post by Dannibeau24 29th April 2010, 3:00 am

Juices-n-Berries wrote:Good luck with your event!

Thank YOU! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Dannibeau24
Dannibeau24

Back to top Go down

Post by Chef Lucy 29th April 2010, 3:06 am

Dannibeau24 wrote:Hi Everybody,

I am putting on a Natural Hair Care forum tomorrow at my school and I wanted to get some advice for the forum I need everyone's DO'S AND DON'TS for transitioning to natural hair. Please give me all you can.

Thanks & God Bless,
Dannibeau 24

Hey!

Here are a few DO'S & DON'Ts that helped me during my transition..

DO:

-Moisturize with a water-based moisturizer daily

-Seal with an oil or butter

-Make use of protective hair styles that don't require heat (braids, twist, half-wigs)

-PRE-POO AND COWASH!!

-Deep condition EVERY TIME you shampoo. I wouldn't recommend shampooing more than once a week though. If your hair feels a little icky, cowash with some condish so that can hold you until your next wash.

-massage your scalp 1-2 times a day! Massaging stimulates blood flow which awakens those sleeping hair follicles and tells them to GROW GROW GROW! Not to mention, it's so darn relaxing [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

-listen to your hair. If it feels dry, I don't care if you moisturized it in the morning, moisturize it again! Put some hair lotion in there or spritz it with some water. If your hair says it's thirsty, then give it what it needs! No need to wait until the end of the day (bedtime) to moisturize...I do it 2 sometimes 3 times a day. Depending on how my hair feels.

-be gentle with your hair. It's been through enough already!!

DON'T:

-Don't comb your hair while it's really dry! The point where your new growth and permed hair meet is REALLY weak...combing your hair while it's dry is just asking for trouble!

-DON'T USE DIRECT HEAT! This was a HUGE no no for me while transitioning. My hair was already so weak from the relaxers, using heat was making it worse. So I opted not to use heat during my transition so that my hair could have a much needed break!

- silicones, sulfates, mineral oil and products with ingredients I couldn't pronounce were off limits. Natural hair journey meant embarking on a whole new line of thinking- and that meant choosing my hair products wisely. I wouldn't want to ingest harsh chemicals, so why put it in my beautiful new tress?

-DO NOT become a product junkie (like me...lol) find what works for you hair and when you find it, stick to it. (I'm working on this...it's hard though!)

-DO NOT let others discourage you about transitioning to natural hair. At the end of the day it is YOUR decision, so do what makes YOU happy!

That's all I can think of for now...hope this helps!
Chef Lucy
Chef Lucy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannibeau24 29th April 2010, 4:33 am

OMG! You are awesome THANK YOU soooooo much Chef Lucy..

Chef Lucy wrote:
Dannibeau24 wrote:Hi Everybody,

Thanks & God Bless,
Dannibeau 24

Hey!

Here are a few DO'S & DON'Ts that helped me during my transition..

DO:

-Moisturize with a water-based moisturizer daily

-Seal with an oil or butter

-Make use of protective hair styles that don't require heat (braids, twist, half-wigs)

-PRE-POO AND COWASH!!

-Deep condition EVERY TIME you shampoo. I wouldn't recommend shampooing more than once a week though. If your hair feels a little icky, cowash with some condish so that can hold you until your next wash.

-massage your scalp 1-2 times a day! Massaging stimulates blood flow which awakens those sleeping hair follicles and tells them to GROW GROW GROW! Not to mention, it's so darn relaxing [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

-listen to your hair. If it feels dry, I don't care if you moisturized it in the morning, moisturize it again! Put some hair lotion in there or spritz it with some water. If your hair says it's thirsty, then give it what it needs! No need to wait until the end of the day (bedtime) to moisturize...I do it 2 sometimes 3 times a day. Depending on how my hair feels.

-be gentle with your hair. It's been through enough already!!

DON'T:

-Don't comb your hair while it's really dry! The point where your new growth and permed hair meet is REALLY weak...combing your hair while it's dry is just asking for trouble!

-DON'T USE DIRECT HEAT! This was a HUGE no no for me while transitioning. My hair was already so weak from the relaxers, using heat was making it worse. So I opted not to use heat during my transition so that my hair could have a much needed break!

- silicones, sulfates, mineral oil and products with ingredients I couldn't pronounce were off limits. Natural hair journey meant embarking on a whole new line of thinking- and that meant choosing my hair products wisely. I wouldn't want to ingest harsh chemicals, so why put it in my beautiful new tress?

-DO NOT become a product junkie (like me...lol) find what works for you hair and when you find it, stick to it. (I'm working on this...it's hard though!)

-DO NOT let others discourage you about transitioning to natural hair. At the end of the day it is YOUR decision, so do what makes YOU happy!

That's all I can think of for now...hope this helps!
Dannibeau24
Dannibeau24

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 29th April 2010, 10:37 am

Great info Chef Lucy. That's all the pertinent info a curly needs to know when transitioning. Most importantly, treat your entire head as if it were completely natural. That's the best advice I was given and I think it's very important to understand. Another thing to emphasis is that no two heads are alike and what may work for one may not work for another. Finally, BC when you're ready! Not when someone tells you to. Good luck with your forum. I'm pretty sure it will be a success.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 29th April 2010, 11:45 am

refer them to CN.com ...
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 29th April 2010, 2:20 pm

nice idea. God bless with that!! I agree with BBD. Curlynikki articles has great info there.
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Chef Lucy 29th April 2010, 2:26 pm

@ Dannibeau24: No problem! Good luck on your forum hun!

@ Hamptonsfnst: I second that, "BC when you're ready"--so true! Some ppl BC too soon and end up regretting it which leads them to go right back to the creamy crack [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

@ Blondebydesire: CN.com is the best! I certainly wish I would have found this site during my transition, it would have helped A LOT...but better now then never
Chef Lucy
Chef Lucy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannibeau24 29th April 2010, 4:24 pm

Thanks for the info EVERYONE!! I will be sure to let you all know how it goes! God Bless [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Dannibeau24
Dannibeau24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down