CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moisture and definition...can they coexist?

+4
KnottyKinkyMommy
oooop2
ChrsLvsBks
natures_lovechild
8 posters

Go down

Moisture and definition...can they coexist? Empty Moisture and definition...can they coexist?

Post by natures_lovechild 23rd April 2010, 3:30 pm

Hi fellow curlies!
This is my first post (I've been lurking for awhile but finally decided to join in on the convos!). I love CN and have gotten lots of good info from the site. I've been natural for about 4.5 years now, and really wish you guys were around when I first started out on my journey! Anyway, my question is, has anyone found a product/ routine that affords them great moisture along with great definition. I find that if I want really moisturized hair, my definition must suffer and vice versa. Would love if I could have both simultaneously!

Thanks!

natures_lovechild

Back to top Go down

Moisture and definition...can they coexist? Empty Re: Moisture and definition...can they coexist?

Post by ChrsLvsBks 23rd April 2010, 4:01 pm

I truly feel the right balance of moisture is what helps defines one's curls. Too little and you have frizz, too much and your hair may appear limp and lifeless. For instance, when I use certain deep conditioners, my hair clumps. The clumps help define my hair. In order to keep the definition, I need a holding product over my sealing product. Does this make sense?

So to answer your question, in my experience, moisture and curl definition go hand in hand. You will likely not have one without the other.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Moisture and definition...can they coexist? Empty Re: Moisture and definition...can they coexist?

Post by oooop2 23rd April 2010, 4:42 pm

I totally agree w/ what Chrslv said. And when your hair is properly moisturized, your curl definition last for days.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by KnottyKinkyMommy 24th April 2010, 3:25 pm

Oyin handmade's Shine & Define Serum worked wonders for me in the past.
KnottyKinkyMommy
KnottyKinkyMommy

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 24th April 2010, 4:50 pm

ChrsLvsBks is right. Moisture is key. For me that means eliminating everything that can block moisuture (ex. silicones, petrolatum) and amping up products that add moisture for me(ex. aloe vera juice, glycerin).
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 24th April 2010, 5:55 pm

I have had this same question. The thing is, my hair, which is 4a/4b, can achieve definition when moisturized and conditioned, but it doesn't last because it shrinks back up once it dries. I can only achieve lasting definition and elongation with the use of a gel product (KCCC, etc.), which can be very drying to the hair. Is there any combination of products one would recommend to achieve the balance of definition and moisture?
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachtree 24th April 2010, 9:32 pm

They absolutely can. Humectants (aloe vera, honey, glycerine) gives me the best definition!
Peachtree
Peachtree

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 24th April 2010, 10:51 pm

Peachtree wrote:They absolutely can. Humectants (aloe vera, honey, glycerine) gives me the best definition!

Just wanted to say your DDs hair in your siggy is STUNNING!!! And can you provide us with her hair care regime??

TIA Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 25th April 2010, 12:31 am

I absolutely believe that moisture and curl definition goes hand in hand. From my BC until now, my moisture level has increase significantly and therefore my curls are more defined and individualized. I believe consistancy in routine as well as sticking with what works for you is the key. I also used my naked hair as a measurement of how healthy and moisturized my hair was becoming. (Not what it looked like after product was in it) NAKED HAIR IS THE BEST INDICATOR OF YOUR HAIR HEALTH AND MOISTURE LEVEL.
When I get home (I am at work now), I will post a pic of my naked hair and hair with product for you to see what I am referring too.

Like Blondie said staying away from all ingredients that will block that moisture is also key (mineral oil, petroleum,etc).
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by natures_lovechild 26th April 2010, 12:50 pm

Thanx for the responses ladies! I think my question is similar to Juices-n-berries. Whem wet/ and with conditioner I have great curls. The best item I have used thus far which gave me the best definition was Mixed Chicks leave-in, but I hated how dry my hair was the next day! Giovanni direct leave-in also seemed to give pretty good definition, but again hair felt pretty dry on day 2. I use a water/glycerin mix before I get in the shower, which gives great moisture, but my hair soaks it up and I lose my definition! So I guess I'm having issues with the balance! My hair is really porous, soaks up water and heat so maybe this is the issue?

natures_lovechild

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 26th April 2010, 2:13 pm

natures_lovechild wrote:Thanx for the responses ladies! I think my question is similar to Juices-n-berries. Whem wet/ and with conditioner I have great curls. The best item I have used thus far which gave me the best definition was Mixed Chicks leave-in, but I hated how dry my hair was the next day! Giovanni direct leave-in also seemed to give pretty good definition, but again hair felt pretty dry on day 2. I use a water/glycerin mix before I get in the shower, which gives great moisture, but my hair soaks it up and I lose my definition! So I guess I'm having issues with the balance! My hair is really porous, soaks up water and heat so maybe this is the issue?
If your hair is porous, you can try protein treatments to fill in the "holes" in your hair. I would suggest doing it at least once a week. After doing that for three weeks, see if you notice any difference. If not, try doing them twice a week for three weeks and reassess.

The hair is damaged and there is no way to remedy it from what I have read. You can repair it through protein. Do not forget to use moisturizing treatments after the protein treatment.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down