CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I am going on one year natural and...

4 posters

Go down

I am going on one year natural and... Empty I am going on one year natural and...

Post by chocolate-kinks 15th April 2010, 12:42 am

and I feel like crying. I will be 1 year natural on Saturday. In the beginning I was never really fascinated with the care of my hair, but more of the looks. Around my 9th month of being natural was when I truly began taking care of my hair. Since then I have been moisturizing and sealing, but I am still having issues. Before I started caring for my hair, I continuously chopped off my ends because of scab hairs, split ends, and fairy knots. Now that I am sealing and moisturizing, it has gotten a little better. My basic problem is that I regret not caring for it in the beginning. My ends still have issues, but cutting them has made combing a lot better. My nappiversory is coming up and I feel a little ashamed because I have not retained the length that I had planned because of constant cutting. When I look at Youtube and Fotoki albums, I become jealous because my hair is not as long as theirs. I am planning on keeping extensions in my hair for the next 6 months to preserve my length. What do you think?

Last edited by chocolate-kinks on 15th April 2010, 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

I am going on one year natural and... Empty Re: I am going on one year natural and...

Post by Erica5417 15th April 2010, 12:50 am

I think that maybe since it's summer you may want to wear your hair. That way you can experiment while it's warm outside. I know I've been looking forward to summer for just that reason. I've had some okay growth (it will be a year in May) and I haven't worn protective styles. I just make sure to maintain moisture. Of course, I'm sure you'll look great with braids too but maybe it will be fun to try new styles with the warmer weather and then if you want, get extensions when the weather starts getting cool again. There is certainly no reason to feel ashamed. We are all on this journey and we all have trial and error.

I'm no expert but you can check out my youtube videos to see my regimen.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ericathurman
Right now, I cowash, deep condition, oil and seal once a week. I twist it on Friday nights and wear twistouts all through the week. It's a really simple regimen.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

I am going on one year natural and... Empty Re: I am going on one year natural and...

Post by NikG20 15th April 2010, 12:55 am

Please do not feel alone. So many women feel this way! I actually feel this way myself when it comes to my daughters hair. I didn't know how to properly care for it for the longest, but if you look at my avatar, she has plenty of hair. However, that is 4 years worth. Give it time. It's never too late to start properly caring for your hair.

I popped in the Grow Long section earlier to post a link, and saw this post:

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/grow-long-f9/quickest-way-to-a-setback-t3343.htm

You may find it helpful.

Congrats on being 1 year natural, that alone is an accomplishment. Try not to focus on the length, but on the health. Good luck!
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 15th April 2010, 1:17 am

Erica5417 wrote:I think that maybe since it's summer you may want to wear your hair. That way you can experiment while it's warm outside. I know I've been looking forward to summer for just that reason. I've had some okay growth (it will be a year in May) and I haven't worn protective styles. I just make sure to maintain moisture. Of course, I'm sure you'll look great with braids too but maybe it will be fun to try new styles with the warmer weather and then if you want, get extensions when the weather starts getting cool again. There is certainly no reason to feel ashamed. We are all on this journey and we all have trial and error.

I'm no expert but you can check out my youtube videos to see my regimen.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ericathurman
Right now, I cowash, deep condition, oil and seal once a week. I twist it on Friday nights and wear twistouts all through the week. It's a really simple regimen.

Thanks. For some reason twist outs dont work well for me.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 15th April 2010, 1:21 am

NikG20 wrote:Please do not feel alone. So many women feel this way! I actually feel this way myself when it comes to my daughters hair. I didn't know how to properly care for it for the longest, but if you look at my avatar, she has plenty of hair. However, that is 4 years worth. Give it time. It's never too late to start properly caring for your hair.

I popped in the Grow Long section earlier to post a link, and saw this post:

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/grow-long-f9/quickest-way-to-a-setback-t3343.htm

You may find it helpful.

Congrats on being 1 year natural, that alone is an accomplishment. Try not to focus on the length, but on the health. Good luck!

Thanks and your right.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 15th April 2010, 1:25 am

chocolate-kinks wrote:

It took me quite a while to figure out how to do it in a way that I liked. The more you do it, the better you get. LynnieLuv is amazing with twists and twistouts. Check out her BNB thread if you haven't already.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 15th April 2010, 2:24 am

Well you have made it a year and your hair in your pic is great. I think everyone hits a time where they get mentally tired but you just have to come within your own and see that you are glam!
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 15th April 2010, 3:03 am

ktoliver5303 wrote:Well you have made it a year and your hair in your pic is great. I think everyone hits a time where they get mentally tired but you just have to come within your own and see that you are glam!

aww Smile I love you for this. That was really nice
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 15th April 2010, 3:07 am

Erica5417 wrote:
chocolate-kinks wrote:

It took me quite a while to figure out how to do it in a way that I liked. The more you do it, the better you get. LynnieLuv is amazing with twists and twistouts. Check out her BNB thread if you haven't already.

Okay I'll look. I think my hair is too short for a twist out.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 15th April 2010, 3:15 am

chocolate-kinks wrote:
ktoliver5303 wrote:Well you have made it a year and your hair in your pic is great. I think everyone hits a time where they get mentally tired but you just have to come within your own and see that you are glam!

Well you are and your hair in your avi is bomb!!
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 15th April 2010, 3:16 am

ktoliver5303 wrote:
chocolate-kinks wrote:

Well you are and your hair in your avi is bomb!!

LOL THANKSSSS Smile
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down