CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Having trouble styling my newly natural hair...help!

+5
HAMPTONSFNST
lechatnoir324
cassadie3
Lynnieluve
Sequoia
9 posters

Go down

Having trouble styling my newly natural hair...help! Empty Having trouble styling my newly natural hair...help!

Post by Sequoia 13th April 2010, 4:44 pm

I've been natural for a little over a week now, and none of my "out" styles are coming out right! I've attempted twist-outs and braid-outs, and they always end up looking like a wash n go. It's like my curls are resistant to styling...my hair never takes the shape of the twist/braid if that makes sense... I don't know what I'm doing wrong...I always style on damp hair with a leave-in, a little oil, and shea butter, and I always make sure my hair is 100% dry before I take the twists/braids down. I had this problem for the 1st year of my transition, but I discovered damp styling and my hair turned out great...but now that my relaxed ends are gone, my hair doesn't want to cooperate [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Thanks in advance!
Sequoia
Sequoia

Back to top Go down

Having trouble styling my newly natural hair...help! Empty Re: Having trouble styling my newly natural hair...help!

Post by Lynnieluve 13th April 2010, 7:20 pm

How long did you leave your twist/braids in? You may need a product with more hold.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Having trouble styling my newly natural hair...help! Empty Re: Having trouble styling my newly natural hair...help!

Post by cassadie3 13th April 2010, 7:27 pm

I have to say...if that is your wash n go in your avatar, it looks GREAT!!!!! Smile

congrats on your BC!!!
cassadie3
cassadie3

http://naturalselectionblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sequoia 13th April 2010, 7:49 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:How long did you leave your twist/braids in? You may need a product with more hold.

I usually leave them in overnight, and they're completely dry in the morning. I've been using ORS Lock & Twist gel, but I don't use a lot. Maybe I need to use a heavier leave-in...I've been using my water/glycerin mix instead of my staple, Giovanni Direct...maybe that's the problem! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

cassadie3 wrote:I have to say...if that is your wash n go in your avatar, it looks GREAT!!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

congrats on your BC!!!

Thanks! That was my first wash n go, right after I BC'ed.
Sequoia
Sequoia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sequoia 15th April 2010, 5:18 pm

I co-washed my hair the other night...this time I used Giovanni Direct leave-in instead of the water/glycerin mix. My braid-out came out a lot more defined, but it didn't look good enough to wear out. I'll keep practicing, but at least I know what the problem was. I can't use anything glycerin-based if I want to wear an "out" style, because my hair will revert. I was trying to be cheap and not spend $8 on Giovanni Direct, but I need to stick with what works...lesson learned [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thanks ladies!
Sequoia
Sequoia

Back to top Go down

Post by lechatnoir324 15th April 2010, 10:29 pm

- cassadie3 what style are you wearing in your profile pic? It's cute!
lechatnoir324
lechatnoir324

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 16th April 2010, 2:27 pm

Sequoia,

You may already know that I recently BCd and have been wearing twistouts throughout the week or refreshing them. I prefer the second day hair because the style has more volume. I cowash as you do and also use Giovanni Direct Leave-In. I follow that condish with shingling Curls' Curl Souffle and sealing with castor oil. I make sure to detangle and distribute the last products with my Denman brush and my twists come out looking like fat catapillars.

Lynnie is right, you need something with more hold yet adds moisture.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Sequoia 17th April 2010, 12:19 am

HAMPTONSFNST wrote:Sequoia,

You may already know that I recently BCd and have been wearing twistouts throughout the week or refreshing them. I prefer the second day hair because the style has more volume. I cowash as you do and also use Giovanni Direct Leave-In. I follow that condish with shingling Curls' Curl Souffle and sealing with castor oil. I make sure to detangle and distribute the last products with my Denman brush and my twists come out looking like fat catapillars.

Lynnie is right, you need something with more hold yet adds moisture.

Thanks for the advice, I'll be attempting another twistout tomorrow!
Sequoia
Sequoia

Back to top Go down

Post by Tahlove 26th April 2010, 11:35 am

Ugh! Sequoia I feel your pain. I BC'd in September but was still not brave enough to flaunt my curls so I had been doing blow-outs/ flat ironing until one humid day about two months ago. So I have been trying everything on my hair and the only things that have looked even halfway decent are: Curlformers set: time consuming and uncomfortable to sleep in and a twist up-do: One of my previously natural co-workers took pity on me because as she put it my wash n' go's were "cramping" my style LOL. I'm also trying to work with my Tyra-esque forehead and not against it and pulling my hair back is just not the hotness! Anywho, last night was another failed attempt, this time it was "CurlyChronicles" extravagant big hair... not so much. My blow dried hair is entirely too straight to hold a curl so it came out this morning a straight/wavy/puffy mess. Here's was I've resorted to today. Ladies I need HELP because right now either some scissors or relaxer is calling my name.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][img][/img]
Tahlove
Tahlove

Back to top Go down

Post by Sequoia 26th April 2010, 7:49 pm

My twist-out was a fail, and so was the Curlformer set I attempted on Saturday night. At least I know what went wrong with the Curlformers...a few of the sections were too big, so they came out looking like a stretched out wash n go [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I'm so frustrated with my hair...I'm thinking about just wearing 2-strand twists for a while.
Sequoia
Sequoia

Back to top Go down

Post by Tahlove 26th April 2010, 8:02 pm

@ Sequoia that is hilarious! I said the same thing! I just joined the twist challenge and am having a co-worker do mini twists for me tomorrow. I'm kinda over my hair right now. I seriously need to learn how to be a DIY'er. Is there a natural hair for dummies course somewhere? Sheesh. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Tahlove
Tahlove

Back to top Go down

Post by Tahlove 27th April 2010, 2:59 pm

So yesterday's attempt was a "curly fro". I'm getting my hair twisted today so I thought what the heck. Anywho, I don't hate it. [img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
Tahlove
Tahlove

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 27th April 2010, 9:21 pm

I have yet to have a good wash and go too. Plus my hair gets way to matted and tangled when I do that. When I went natural I had this brilliant idea that I could wash and go and be ready in a short amount of time. Fail!
I've been braiding and twisting but its really getting to be a lot of work. I don't want to spend all of my saturday braiding and unbraiding. My hair is working my nerves right now.
btw tahlove your curly fro looked nice!
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by happy2bcurly 27th April 2010, 10:19 pm

I agree with you kinksncurls. I spend more time doing my hair now than I did when i had a relaxer. I was just telling someone that at work today. I've got to come up with an easier routine. I twist my hair nightly because I like twist outs better than wash and go's. And I wash my hair one or two times a week depending on how much product i've had to use during the week to get it to look right. I still haven't found just the right product. I'm going to work on useing less products and doing bigger twists and see how that goes.I've gotten better at doing twist so maybe I'll wear my hair twisted more often as soon as I find a good style for a 50 year old woman that doesn't look juvinile.
happy2bcurly
happy2bcurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kinky Hair 5th May 2010, 10:54 pm

Sequoia you said you use Giovanni Leave in However have you ever tried Giovanni Cosmetics Magnetic Attraction Styling Gel. Your hair texture needs more than a leavin to give it a wave pattern. Leavin just gives it moisture.

Kinky Hair

http://www.locsbyalisha.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down