CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shower vs. Sink???

+6
HAMPTONSFNST
Treece
Janet36603
tiashaunteé
Lynnieluve
laleepop14
10 posters

Go down

Shower vs. Sink??? Empty Shower vs. Sink???

Post by laleepop14 13th April 2010, 11:48 am

I started a post last week in regards to my detangling process and how time consuming/hard it was and I got a lot of GREAT comments from people saying that somewhere in their routine, they get in the shower to really get a good effect from the conditioner/shampoo being used.

My question to all of you is do you prefer to use the sink in your detangling process or to hop in the shower for your detangling process??? Or a little bit of both? or neither? I mean because as curlies(detangling) that is going to have to be one of the staples in our routine to get a good style or what not.

All you that answered my original post feel free to chime in here too. I want to see what/how people get the best results.

Thanks in advance
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Shower vs. Sink??? Empty Re: Shower vs. Sink???

Post by Lynnieluve 13th April 2010, 11:58 am

Shower!! I use the flow of the water to help me detangle.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 13th April 2010, 12:10 pm

Thats what I have been getting from everyone else. But don't you find that the process takes THAT much longer when the shower is involved??? Is it always gonna be such a process. Im only 8 months post and am just wondering am I always gonna have to set aside hours for this process.

Also do you section your hair as well??
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 13th April 2010, 12:15 pm

I have used both and both actually work great for me.

The only problem I have with the sink is that my hair has gotten longer and not starts to go down the drain. Gross No

If my sink was deeper I would still be using it. I could still wash in sections and detangling under running water was still possible. Plus I used less water - most important for me.

In the shower - I have to deal with the drain clogging, trying not to slip and fall because of conditioner, and using more water.

I have more room in the shower so that gives me the option to not wash in sections if I am in a rush or want to do a wash n go. Also in the shower I can make my ponytails for buns and stretching.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 13th April 2010, 12:23 pm

I put my hair into two sections (right, left) to detangle. It only takes me about 15-20 minutes. I saturate my hair with conditioner, run it under the stream of water for about 2 seconds and start to detangle using my shower comb.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 13th April 2010, 3:06 pm

tiashauntee wrote:I have used both and both actually work great for me.

The only problem I have with the sink is that my hair has gotten longer and not starts to go down the drain. Gross No

If my sink was deeper I would still be using it. I could still wash in sections and detangling under running water was still possible. Plus I used less water - most important for me.

In the shower - I have to deal with the drain clogging, trying not to slip and fall because of conditioner, and using more water.

I have more room in the shower so that gives me the option to not wash in sections if I am in a rush or want to do a wash n go. Also in the shower I can make my ponytails for buns and stretching.

That makes a lot of sense tiashauntee!!! I know what you mean about your hair going down the drain...LOL.. So I guess its all about preference. Im going to try the whoLE shower thing and see if that helps me with the detangling process any. It just seems weird to me I guess because I HAVE never tried it and dont really know how I would start. I am used to the sink, but it doesnt seem to be working.

THANKS!!!!
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 13th April 2010, 3:11 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:I put my hair into two sections (right, left) to detangle. It only takes me about 15-20 minutes. I saturate my hair with conditioner, run it under the stream of water for about 2 seconds and start to detangle using my shower comb.

Thanks Lynnieluve!!! I definitely stalk you alot!!!! Your hair is gorgeous and the amount of growth you have had since your BC is amazing!!! You are definitely one of my hair idols!!!

I think that will help alot for me if I was to put it into sections.(I made need 4 because of the awkward lenghts all over my head, the back is fully natural and more kinky) My hair is super thick and I always feel like as soon as I detangle the back and start to do the front, the back needs to be detangled again. I also think that I am not using enough conditioner because I hear alot of people saying they saturate, or get their hair soaking wet with conditioner. I think putting my hair in sections should help alot. I am definitely going to try that...Seems way shorter than the process I have been doing and anything that helps I am all for.

Thanks again ladies. Just was curious..
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 13th April 2010, 3:11 pm

laleepop14 wrote:
tiashauntee wrote:I have used both and both actually work great for me.

That makes a lot of sense tiashauntee!!! I know what you mean about your hair going down the drain...LOL.. So I guess its all about preference. Im going to try the whoLE shower thing and see if that helps me with the detangling process any. It just seems weird to me I guess because I HAVE never tried it and dont really know how I would start. I am used to the sink, but it doesnt seem to be working.

THANKS!!!!

That was me. I always used the sink so when I heard about detangling in the shower the first thing I thought was "I don't have that much hot water!"
If you use a condish with a lot of slip and a good detangling comb - it doesn't take much time at all.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 13th April 2010, 3:20 pm

Exactly my point!!! LOL. I almost cant wait to try it out in the shower now. I will probably become hooked...LOL.. Thanks again..
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by Janet36603 13th April 2010, 5:07 pm

I'm still transitioning so I use the sink to start off. I usually cowash twice and try to detangle on the 2nd go around. I get a lot of breakage no matter what I do when I detangle but it's mostly the permed ends that come out so I try not to freak out about it too much. Then I hop in the shower and rinse and shower of course lol. I can't wait for my first "all natural" detangle session!
Janet36603
Janet36603

Location : Montgomery, AL (and Birmingham, AL on the weekends)

http://jlhorace.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 13th April 2010, 6:11 pm

I know you've probably got your answer already but I want to put my input in anyways lol.

I prefer the shower for comfort and for detangling. The sink in my dorm is that that big for a head. And if I did have room. I would have to lean forward. That hurts my back and then I'm piling my hair on top of my head, but I want my hair detangled to the back. So when I stand up, I have to comb all this hair back down. Soo...that's just my 2c. Smile
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 13th April 2010, 6:22 pm

laleepop14 wrote: My hair is super thick and I always feel like as soon as I detangle the back and start to do the front, the back needs to be detangled again.

This happens to me now. The key for me is to keep that section wet. My hair is very coily in the back so it curls on itself. Once my hair gets a little longer, after I detangle I will two strand twist the section to help keep it from getting tangled again.

I am [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]...I have to stay on my "A" game with Roxie (my hair's name) now that I am your hair idol. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 15th April 2010, 10:38 am

My very first cowash with my newly natural utilized the shower and it was easy. I didn't even bother to detangle with my wide tooth comb as I had to while transitioning. I applied condish (HETT) and used my fingers to massage and detangled. It wasn't until I was moisturizing and sealing that I used my Denman brush to evenly distribute my products before twisting.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 15th April 2010, 11:25 am

Janet36603 wrote:I'm still transitioning so I use the sink to start off. I usually cowash twice and try to detangle on the 2nd go around. I get a lot of breakage no matter what I do when I detangle but it's mostly the permed ends that come out so I try not to freak out about it too much. Then I hop in the shower and rinse and shower of course lol. I can't wait for my first "all natural" detangle session!

Okay, see Im thinking maybe because I am still transitioning, these two textures are just getting on my nerves.. I think Imight BC sooner than later...Thanks!!
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 15th April 2010, 11:49 am

Treece wrote:I know you've probably got your answer already but I want to put my input in anyways lol.

I prefer the shower for comfort and for detangling. The sink in my dorm is that that big for a head. And if I did have room. I would have to lean forward. That hurts my back and then I'm piling my hair on top of my head, but I want my hair detangled to the back. So when I stand up, I have to comb all this hair back down. Soo...that's just my 2c. Smile

I do think that the shower will be easier for me for exactly the reasons you stated. When I am washing my hair in the isnk I have to force my hair in one direction to the front and I think hat contributes to my tangling issue and not to mention the pain it gives my back and then have to detangle all that hair back the opposite way. Soooo thanks for your 2c it was greatly appreciated!!!

HAMPTONSFNST wrote:My very first cowash with my newly natural utilized the shower and it was easy. I didn't even bother to detangle with my wide tooth comb as I had to while transitioning. I applied condish (HETT) and used my fingers to massage and detangled. It wasn't until I was moisturizing and sealing that I used my Denman brush to evenly distribute my products before twisting.
See I think that is where my main problem comes in with detangling. My natural hair is a breeze when detangling it seems, but when I get to those old nasty relaxed ends its a mess. I know or hope that when I am fully natural I will not have that many issues with detangling. As I said in an earlier post I might BC sooner than later. But I wanted to wait at least last a year, I commend you for your 18 months!!!

Thanks for the input!!! I like to see how everyone does certain things while they are transitioning or fully natural..Love the love I get from all of you sistas!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 15th April 2010, 11:51 am

Lynnieluve wrote:
laleepop14 wrote: My hair is super thick and I always feel like as soon as I detangle the back and start to do the front, the back needs to be detangled again.

This happens to me now. The key for me is to keep that section wet. My hair is very coily in the back so it curls on itself. Once my hair gets a little longer, after I detangle I will two strand twist the section to help keep it from getting tangled again.

I am [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]...I have to stay on my "A" game with Roxie (my hair's name) now that I am your hair idol. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Yes I believe that my hair is just like yours and the back of my hair is the same way(I am fully natural back there) and I have been stalking you since your BC and amazed at your growth and styles, all that good stuff!!! I will be following you and making sure you stay on top of Roxie!!! LOL
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by DivinelyDesigned 15th April 2010, 1:22 pm

I just get on my knees and lean over the side of the tub. The pressure from the direct stream of water is way better than the stream from my shower.
DivinelyDesigned
DivinelyDesigned

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 15th April 2010, 2:45 pm

DivinelyDesigned wrote:I just get on my knees and lean over the side of the tub. The pressure from the direct stream of water is way better than the stream from my shower.

That sounds like a great idea, but question for you does that hurt your back? Unfortunately I have one of the showers with the sliding doors and I think that it might be quite uncomfortable leaning over my tub for even a second with that metal strip there. I bet you have one without sliding doors right? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Lucky you!! LOL But thanks for the idea and I might give that a try also.
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th April 2010, 2:57 pm

laleepop14 wrote:
DivinelyDesigned wrote:I just get on my knees and lean over the side of the tub. The pressure from the direct stream of water is way better than the stream from my shower.

That sounds like a great idea, but question for you does that hurt your back? Unfortunately I have one of the showers with the sliding doors and I think that it might be quite uncomfortable leaning over my tub for even a second with that metal strip there. I bet you have one without sliding doors right? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Lucky you!! LOL But thanks for the idea and I might give that a try also.

drape a thick towel over the metal strip.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by DivinelyDesigned 15th April 2010, 5:16 pm

Leaning over the tub does not hurt my back at all (I only wash every two weeks, but I'm assuming if you wash more often, it may become a problem for your back...idk) I don't have the metal sliding part, but I think the towel would work just as mentioned above. I"m only leaning when I need the stream of water...for example, I will wet my hair under the stream of water, turn the water off and sit on the side of the tub to shampoo my hair. Once I'm finished I will lean back over the side of the tub to rinse the shampoo, turn the water off again, sit on the side of the tub and condition....etc
DivinelyDesigned
DivinelyDesigned

Back to top Go down

Post by bevyboo628 15th April 2010, 6:26 pm

I prefer the shower because it seems my hair gets too tangled when i am face down in the sink. It is easier in the shower when i separate my hair into four sections. i put conditioner in each section starting with the front right and work my way around counterclowise. That way by the time i get back to the front to detangle the conditioner has sat in my hair for a little while. Run some water through it and detangling is a breeze as long as i have the right conditioner (currently Aussie Moist)
bevyboo628
bevyboo628

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 16th April 2010, 11:05 am

Lynnieluve wrote:
laleepop14 wrote:

drape a thick towel over the metal strip.

Never even thought of that!!!! Thanks..

DivinelyDesigned wrote:Leaning over the tub does not hurt my back at all (I only wash every two weeks, but I'm assuming if you wash more often, it may become a problem for your back...idk) I don't have the metal sliding part, but I think the towel would work just as mentioned above. I"m only leaning when I need the stream of water...for example, I will wet my hair under the stream of water, turn the water off and sit on the side of the tub to shampoo my hair. Once I'm finished I will lean back over the side of the tub to rinse the shampoo, turn the water off again, sit on the side of the tub and condition....etc

Okay I see what you are saying, so you are just doing it for the stream of water, not like actually bending over there for a long period of time?? That makes sense and sounds like it will also help me conserve my water!! LOL. Im definitely gonna try this one...The idea of the whole shower thing seems
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 16th April 2010, 11:08 am

bevyboo628 wrote:I prefer the shower because it seems my hair gets too tangled when i am face down in the sink. It is easier in the shower when i separate my hair into four sections. i put conditioner in each section starting with the front right and work my way around counterclowise. That way by the time i get back to the front to detangle the conditioner has sat in my hair for a little while. Run some water through it and detangling is a breeze as long as i have the right conditioner (currently Aussie Moist)

I like that idea also. I hear alot about this Aussie Moist conditioner!!! Im gonna have to pick some of that up. It is not in my collection of products...
Thanks again for the feedback!!
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 21st April 2010, 5:59 pm

shower. bathroom sink is too little. and kitchen sink...well my hair breaks too much while i wash it; can't have hair all over the kitchen!

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 22nd April 2010, 12:39 am

I get into the shower, really wet my hair, step out and then start the detangling process.. I take WAY less time in the shower, feel less rushed, and use WAY less water. Getting totally wet and then getting out of the shower just to go back in is a tad obnoxious, but the pros outweigh the cons for me Smile
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down