CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair Gel Tips?

+12
HAMPTONSFNST
ChrsLvsBks
backtonatural
blondie
Vee
BlondeByDesire
natural83
swoodward
tashafawn24
jamaicanmecurly
jamaicacurl
DvaAuNaturel
16 posters

Go down

Hair Gel Tips? Empty Hair Gel Tips?

Post by DvaAuNaturel 1st April 2010, 10:43 pm

I'm on here reading and taking in all this good information and starting thinking about gels for my hair. I really like the HE Set Me Up gel and I've tried the Eco Styler. Last gel I tried was Kinky Curly Curling Custard and want to use it but it's seems a little overpriced and complicated to use. I think it's complicated because it doesn't work well with most products and how you have to apply it. So, onto my question. Kinky Curly should be applied by raking it through small sections of wet hair. Is this the case for most gels or this product only? I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate gel into my regular routine and want to be sure I apply it correctly. I normally just rub it over my curls after applying leave in and oil, then fluff and go.

What are some good gels and how do you apply them for your wash and go's?
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Hair Gel Tips? Empty Re: Hair Gel Tips?

Post by jamaicacurl 1st April 2010, 10:47 pm

I think it's something you have to play with. I used to rake gels in my hair but now I just scrunch it in. For me, raking it in would make my hair too crunchy all over. Scrunching it in has reduced some of that. I've used quite a few different gels also, but right now I have been using Elast QP Feels Like Silk and it doesn't get very crunchy at all and works very well!
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicanmecurly 1st April 2010, 10:51 pm

I've only used KCCC and eco styler and I apply them in similar ways. My TWA is still pretty short so raking the gel through is more work than I need to do right now.

So for now, I just apply the gel in small circular motions into my hair to stimulate my natural curls... it was a trick I picked up from one of Black Onyx's videos. This way gives me really good definition and clumpage.

I go into more detail (probably too much detail) in this blog post!
Hope it helps.

http://thirtysomethingandsearching.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/kinky-curly-curling-custard-and-moisturized-hair/
jamaicanmecurly
jamaicanmecurly

http://thirtysomethingandsearching.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 1st April 2010, 10:56 pm

jamaicacurl wrote:I think it's something you have to play with. I used to rake gels in my hair but now I just scrunch it in. For me, raking it in would make my hair too crunchy all over. Scrunching it in has reduced some of that. I've used quite a few different gels also, but right now I have been using Elast QP Feels Like Silk and it doesn't get very crunchy at all and works very well!

Thanks! I'll pay more attention to how I apply and which way I like more.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 1st April 2010, 11:06 pm

jamaicanmecurly wrote:I've only used KCCC and eco styler and I apply them in similar ways. My TWA is still pretty short so raking the gel through is more work than I need to do right now.

So for now, I just apply the gel in small circular motions into my hair to stimulate my natural curls... it was a trick I picked up from one of Black Onyx's videos. This way gives me really good definition and clumpage.

I go into more detail (probably too much detail) in this blog post!
Hope it helps.

http://thirtysomethingandsearching.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/kinky-curly-curling-custard-and-moisturized-hair/

Thanks for link. I still have one more question, if you don't mind. In the post it says,

"Use small circular motions on my hair to work in my water bottle mix while stimulating my curls."

I'm sure this might sound dumb but I want to be sure I understand.

Are you grabbing small sections of hair and twirling with your fingers or are you just taking your finger and making a circular motion in/around your hair to mix in the products?

TIA!

~Dva~
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicanmecurly 1st April 2010, 11:13 pm

Not a stupid question Dva! The latter... taking the tips of my fingers and making small circular motions in/around my hair to mix in the products... it really helps with clumpage.

When my hair grows (i just BC'd a month ago), I assume I'll try the raking method or something else but for now this works really well for me with both Eco and KCCC.

Good luck!
jamaicanmecurly
jamaicanmecurly

http://thirtysomethingandsearching.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tashafawn24 2nd April 2010, 12:40 am

DvaAuNaturel wrote:I'm on here reading and taking in all this good information and starting thinking about gels for my hair. I really like the HE Set Me Up gel and I've tried the Eco Styler. Last gel I tried was Kinky Curly Curling Custard and want to use it but it's seems a little overpriced and complicated to use. I think it's complicated because it doesn't work well with most products and how you have to apply it. So, onto my question. Kinky Curly should be applied by raking it through small sections of wet hair. Is this the case for most gels or this product only? I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate gel into my regular routine and want to be sure I apply it correctly. I normally just rub it over my curls after applying leave in and oil, then fluff and go.

Hey DvaAuNaturel; I just bc'd a week ago (almost 2 weeks this coming Monday) and I currently use the Kinky Curly line (well, the come clean, the knot today and the custard). I have a short twa and so I apply the product in my hair while I am in the shower. I tried using the circular motion thingy but that doesn't work too well for me because that actually disturbs my curl formation (after washing with the come clean and then applying the knot today my curls have already formed at this point before I even put on the curling custard). Since the knot today is a leave in I do just that; leave it in [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and then I proceed with slicking the custard in my hair.

I say "slicking" because again, my twa is short and I can get all of the custard in my hair with the slicking/tickle fingers motion [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] The top portion of my hair has a looser curl pattern so all I have to do is slick it back with the custard but towards the back my curl pattern is a bit tighter and so I act as if I am tickling the back of my head but not so much to disturb the curl. Yes, my hair is as hard as a helmet but to me this is fine because I don't have the length yet so it's no problem to me and plus all of the ingredients are natural so my hair being hard isn't damaging to my curls (and it keeps me from messing in my hair all of the time too) [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Right now, this is what works for my hair type and I love the overall shine it gives my hair! I tried using the IC Fantasia gel and I don't think I am applying it right and I haven't found that perfect match of oil or leave-in for it yet. Or maybe I have to wait for some length. HTH
tashafawn24
tashafawn24

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 2nd April 2010, 10:52 pm

tashafawn24 wrote:
DvaAuNaturel wrote:I'm on here reading and taking in all this good information and starting thinking about gels for my hair. I really like the HE Set Me Up gel and I've tried the Eco Styler. Last gel I tried was Kinky Curly Curling Custard and want to use it but it's seems a little overpriced and complicated to use. I think it's complicated because it doesn't work well with most products and how you have to apply it. So, onto my question. Kinky Curly should be applied by raking it through small sections of wet hair. Is this the case for most gels or this product only? I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate gel into my regular routine and want to be sure I apply it correctly. I normally just rub it over my curls after applying leave in and oil, then fluff and go.

Hey DvaAuNaturel; I just bc'd a week ago (almost 2 weeks this coming Monday) and I currently use the Kinky Curly line (well, the come clean, the knot today and the custard). I have a short twa and so I apply the product in my hair while I am in the shower. I tried using the circular motion thingy but that doesn't work too well for me because that actually disturbs my curl formation (after washing with the come clean and then applying the knot today my curls have already formed at this point before I even put on the curling custard). Since the knot today is a leave in I do just that; leave it in [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and then I proceed with slicking the custard in my hair.

I say "slicking" because again, my twa is short and I can get all of the custard in my hair with the slicking/tickle fingers motion [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] The top portion of my hair has a looser curl pattern so all I have to do is slick it back with the custard but towards the back my curl pattern is a bit tighter and so I act as if I am tickling the back of my head but not so much to disturb the curl. Yes, my hair is as hard as a helmet but to me this is fine because I don't have the length yet so it's no problem to me and plus all of the ingredients are natural so my hair being hard isn't damaging to my curls (and it keeps me from messing in my hair all of the time too) [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Right now, this is what works for my hair type and I love the overall shine it gives my hair! I tried using the IC Fantasia gel and I don't think I am applying it right and I haven't found that perfect match of oil or leave-in for it yet. Or maybe I have to wait for some length. HTH

Thanks Tashafawn. I'll try your method also and see if my hair responds positively.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 2nd April 2010, 11:57 pm

I use a combo when transitioning and over the last 2 weeks - with a new TWA I have had to cowash every other day almost. When I twist I smooth the KCCC through each small section, then smooth a QB cream on. In the shower, I follow a routine closer to Tashafawn's and sort of use a circular motion to pull the product through the ends. But I still seal in the shower. The Elasta QP Feels like Silk is a very nice product. After you use up the Ecostyler maybe you might try that one.

I bought Kissmyface Upper Management Gel yesterday. Seems dry at first use. Don't know about this one. Seems like KCCC is the best for me so far. Maybe I need a second job?
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 5th April 2010, 3:22 am

Hey guys...I've been hearing a lot about the Eco-Styler gel. Where can I purchase that at?
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 5th April 2010, 10:27 am

natural83 wrote:Hey guys...I've been hearing a lot about the Eco-Styler gel. Where can I purchase that at?

Any BSS or CVS
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by Vee 5th April 2010, 10:42 am

natural83 wrote:Hey guys...I've been hearing a lot about the Eco-Styler gel. Where can I purchase that at?

Sally's has it on sale right now for $2.99. I just bought some this past Saturday, this will be my first time using it.
Vee
Vee

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 7th April 2010, 12:09 am

tashafawn24 wrote:

After you apply your gel apply some oil over it. It will dry soft.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by backtonatural 8th April 2010, 1:58 am

OMGoodness! I was hearing so much about Eco Gel that I went to Sally's on Monday and got it for $2.99 each (1 Krystal & 1 Olive Oil)...I just had to try it and it was AWESOME! I still like my Kinky Curly KT & CC but that CC is EXPENSIVE!!! I put Giovanni Leave In after I cowashed (97cents Suave Coconut) and then the Eco (Krystal) & the next morning my curls were SUPER defined...I even got 2nd day hair today. YAY! Very Happy
backtonatural
backtonatural

https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=247026591473&ref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 8th April 2010, 9:27 am

backtonatural wrote:OMGoodness! I was hearing so much about Eco Gel that I went to Sally's on Monday and got it for $2.99 each (1 Krystal & 1 Olive Oil)...I just had to try it and it was AWESOME! I still like my Kinky Curly KT & CC but that CC is EXPENSIVE!!! I put Giovanni Leave In after I cowashed (97cents Suave Coconut) and then the Eco (Krystal) & the next morning my curls were SUPER defined...I even got 2nd day hair today. YAY! Very Happy
Beautiful avatar--look at the waves [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] !

Woo hoo for second day hair! Let us know what you think about the Eco Styler gel in the next coming days/weeks/months.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 8th April 2010, 9:49 am

backtonatural wrote:OMGoodness! I was hearing so much about Eco Gel that I went to Sally's on Monday and got it for $2.99 each (1 Krystal & 1 Olive Oil)...I just had to try it and it was AWESOME! I still like my Kinky Curly KT & CC but that CC is EXPENSIVE!!! I put Giovanni Leave In after I cowashed (97cents Suave Coconut) and then the Eco (Krystal) & the next morning my curls were SUPER defined...I even got 2nd day hair today. YAY! Very Happy

If those are the results in your AVI it looks great.

Please tell us how you applied the Eco Styler - I have both the clear and olive oil as well - I have yet to use them for a WnG. So you didn't have to use any oil?
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 8th April 2010, 12:03 pm

I would like to start using my Ecostyler gel but should I use it on freshly cowashed hair or can I just mist my hair with my spritz?
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by coilylove 8th April 2010, 6:41 pm

I want to use the ecostyler gel again but my results always end up looking like a jheri curl. I'm not sure if I'm applying correctly but I have yet to be satisfied with the results.
coilylove
coilylove

Back to top Go down

Post by happy2bcurly 8th April 2010, 8:03 pm

I use the green Eco styling gel for a while and at first it was great but after a while my hair got dry and frizzy and it still is so be careful . Gels seemed to work better on short hair but as your hair grows you'll have to change up (well I did anyway). My hair is to my ears now when I stretch it out so I'm currently trying to master the twist out But I still have some work to do.
happy2bcurly
happy2bcurly

Back to top Go down

Post by agore07 8th April 2010, 11:04 pm

My curls came out good with Eco as well, but I want a natural gel for the summer months, probably gonna have to make my own.

Anyone have recipes for homemade gel ?
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

Post by agore07 8th April 2010, 11:06 pm

happy2bcurly: the key is to seal in the moisture with a good oil before you put the gel on. but it did work great when my hair was shorter.
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 8th April 2010, 11:23 pm

I gave up on the KCCC too, Dva. I never seemed to get the results I wanted, but I bought some Long Aid activator gel the other day from Walgreens and it is great! It makes my hair shine, but doesn't get crunchy. Today after my cowash, I applied a pea-sized amount of Knot Today, added some Ecostyler olive oil gel and then the Long Aid on top and my hair was shining and well-defined all day.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down