CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More Curlies in the Media

+16
iri9109
MellowOne
lumii
LaToya28
sweetdrk1
Peachtree
jlowman1
BlondeByDesire
naturalmommyGA
.nikki.b.
newcurlieque
hdthomas
DvaAuNaturel
mstokes2008
ritajoy
HAMPTONSFNST
20 posters

Go down

More Curlies in the Media Empty More Curlies in the Media

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 31st March 2010, 10:36 am

Hi everyone,

This thought has been on my mind recently and I wanted to know if it were something that only I observed or others have noticed too. Has anyone noticed there are a lot more naturals featured in commercials? I've noticed them in birth control, restaurants, detergents and other advertisements featured on television.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

More Curlies in the Media Empty Re: More Curlies in the Media

Post by ritajoy 31st March 2010, 11:57 am

I notice it all the time. Last night I even saw an actress with braids in a commercial for 1800 Flowers. And it is women with all different textures.
ritajoy
ritajoy

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 31st March 2010, 12:04 pm

I've noticed that too. It seems like there are more curlies in commercials than relaxed black women. That makes me happy lol Smile
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 31st March 2010, 12:07 pm

I am more aware of it and have noticed it too. It's great that so many varieties of curly hair is represented. It's funny because I also notice in general when I am out and about. I was sitting at the stoplight the other day and saw three differnt ladies, all different hair styles and types, with natural hair.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by hdthomas 31st March 2010, 12:41 pm

OMG... i was jst telling my mom that and she thought i was crazy lol.. so i purposely started watching for them and low n behold.. EVERY commercial i saw with a black wman featured a curly..swiffer, tj maxx, mcdonalds (they jst love a curly), birth control, walmart...u name it!! funny thing is..i dnt know if i should be proud or offended lol. i know that sounds crazy but i get this underlining feeling that its more behind it. i wonder if in the casting calls they look for it specifically. if so..y???
hdthomas
hdthomas

Back to top Go down

Post by newcurlieque 31st March 2010, 12:45 pm

I noticed it too but I was thinking that maybe because I'm natural I was paying more attention to it lol.
newcurlieque
newcurlieque

Back to top Go down

Post by .nikki.b. 31st March 2010, 2:37 pm

I'VE NOTICED THAT TOO!!!!! I thought I was the only one. lol. They really are everywhere and I love it!
.nikki.b.
.nikki.b.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Shanikque-Brand/575929029

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalmommyGA 31st March 2010, 3:18 pm

I noticed it alot myself. Even in the new Essence magazine for this month I noticed more styles that can be worn by women who are natural. Kinda cool!
naturalmommyGA
naturalmommyGA

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 31st March 2010, 3:26 pm

I noticed it too ... and I love it

It's just like when you buy a new car ... and then all of sudden you see more and more cars like yours.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 31st March 2010, 3:43 pm

I've definitely noticed! OUR BLACK IS B-E-A-UTIFUL yall! I love it, so inspiring!
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachtree 31st March 2010, 4:54 pm

I've seen naturals in the media slowly but surely over the last several years. I'm now finding more naturals locally, which is utterly awesome!! When I transitioned (2003). I couldn't find a natural anywhere (locally)...it's a new day now!!
Peachtree
Peachtree

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 31st March 2010, 6:12 pm

I totally agree, I don't know if I am paying attention more now or what. I get so excited everytime I see one in commercials, videos, TV dramas and the magazines!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 31st March 2010, 6:28 pm

I noticed this a while back when I was relaxed, but now I'm noticing that it's not just the type 3 hair types, there's a lot more type 4s in commercials. I think that's awesome!!

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by lumii 31st March 2010, 6:38 pm

You're really spaking out of mind.. Maybe I never payed attention to it but I've just started noticing the many curlies in music videos and fashion magazines.. and also a lot of curlies with type 4!
lumii
lumii

Back to top Go down

Post by MellowOne 31st March 2010, 7:32 pm

I noticed it too but like some of the other ladies said I thought it was because I just went natural. I did get super excited when I saw a 4 hair texture on this commercial I don't see many of those (that could just be me too)
MellowOne
MellowOne

Back to top Go down

Post by iri9109 31st March 2010, 7:57 pm

definitely in commercials...i cant literally count on one hand the number of relaxed heads i've seen in commercials in the past few months...i told my mom that i noticed this one night and she said it was all in my mind and then every time a commercial came on with a natural woman in it i said "natural" lol and that was every commercial that came on that night that had a black woman in it
iri9109
iri9109

Back to top Go down

Post by LOVELYREAN 31st March 2010, 8:11 pm

hdthomas wrote:OMG... i was jst telling my mom that and she thought i was crazy lol.. so i purposely started watching for them and low n behold.. EVERY commercial i saw with a black wman featured a curly..swiffer, tj maxx, mcdonalds (they jst love a curly), birth control, walmart...u name it!! funny thing is..i dnt know if i should be proud or offended lol. i know that sounds crazy but i get this underlining feeling that its more behind it. i wonder if in the casting calls they look for it specifically. if so..y???

I thought the exact same thing as you......I felt a little offended I think, after the feeling of happiness left. I was telling my sister the exact same thing!! I can't even articulate it right now, because it really bothers me!!
LOVELYREAN
LOVELYREAN

Back to top Go down

Post by natural813 31st March 2010, 8:29 pm

I see it in commercials too and also more when I go out to places.
natural813
natural813

Back to top Go down

Post by iri9109 31st March 2010, 9:03 pm

LOVELYREAN wrote:
hdthomas wrote:OMG... i was jst telling my mom that and she thought i was crazy lol.. so i purposely started watching for them and low n behold.. EVERY commercial i saw with a black wman featured a curly..swiffer, tj maxx, mcdonalds (they jst love a curly), birth control, walmart...u name it!! funny thing is..i dnt know if i should be proud or offended lol. i know that sounds crazy but i get this underlining feeling that its more behind it. i wonder if in the casting calls they look for it specifically. if so..y???

I thought the exact same thing as you......I felt a little offended I think, after the feeling of happiness left. I was telling my sister the exact same thing!! I can't even articulate it right now, because it really bothers me!!

did you ladies have the thought something like "oh so all black women have hair like that (curly/kinky/coily/nappy)???" cuz i thought the same thing when i was relaxed and saw naturals on tv...but then i thought about it again when i was transitioning and was like well, we do...and i think someone posted a comment on a similar topic on this forum that natural hair is more memorable and they want their product to be memorable, and that makes sense....
iri9109
iri9109

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyK 31st March 2010, 9:37 pm

Hmmm...a theory for this just popped into my head. This is just a theory! But could it be because curly hair makes the actress looks more...ambiguous & therefore more relatable to a wider audience?
CurlyK
CurlyK

http://www.kinkycurlystrands.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TaSiaJaY 31st March 2010, 11:07 pm

Yes I have noticed that in almost all the commercials on the television there is at least one or more curlies....Lol....my son and I sit and pick them out like volks wagons...Punch Curlies!....hahahaha
TaSiaJaY
TaSiaJaY

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 2nd April 2010, 11:03 am

I think it's a great idea. When I saw Trey Songz's video I was so excited to see a natural and not some weaved up video vixen. We all don't look like that and I get so bored with the ladies that continue to try emulate the women featured in the video. I like to stand out! And I do it well with my transitioning hair.

Because of these commercials and videos featuring women with natural textures it makes me feel like our efforts to be natural is making a step forward to being embraced by our society.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down