CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burnt Hair vs. Product Build Up

2 posters

Go down

Burnt Hair vs. Product Build Up Empty Burnt Hair vs. Product Build Up

Post by CurlCita 23rd March 2010, 4:39 pm

So I finally went to the salon for my first health cut since I started transitioning ( I know 7 months is a long time w/o a real trim). I went to my old stylist because she has managed to keep my hair healthy despite how I abused it AND she has natural hair although most of her clients don't.

I asked her loads of questions and most of her answers resonated with me but on a few of them, I felt like she might be reaching just a bit for the answer. She gave me a protein treatment (I hadn't been experiencing any breakage but she said I needed one) and then blew my hair out and flat ironed it to assess how much and what needed to be cut.

She mentioned after blowing it out that parts of it felt like it had a coating on it and that I should do a clarifying shampoo the next time I shampooed. She even let me feel it and witness how the comb seemed to glide through some parts but catch at others almost as if there were little teeth sticking out of my hair strands.

When I left and felt my hair, I was disturbed by how brittle some parts felt but assumed it was the coating she mentioned. Then the next morning.....AAAAHHHHH! I literally was scared by how my ends looked. Added a bit of leave in conditioner and still just as hard. It looked and felt how doll hair feels if you attempted to curl it with a hot curling iron(ok telling you about my childhood here ha ha).

I called her and she told me to go ahead and wash it and clarify and that should take care of the problem. I showed my sister in law (she's natural now for a few years) and she said it looked like the hair was burnt.... but it is only at the ends (about 1/2 inch) and the rest looks and feels healthy. What do you guys think? Anyone ever experience anything like this?

My stylists' explanation was that the 'snaggly' hair I felt after she blew my hair out became the ends when she did the cut and I just need to clarify. Makes sense but deep down I feel that my hair is either burnt or reacting bady to the aphogee treatment.
CurlCita
CurlCita

Back to top Go down

Burnt Hair vs. Product Build Up Empty Re: Burnt Hair vs. Product Build Up

Post by ritajoy 23rd March 2010, 6:10 pm

The ends may be damaged from the flat iron. This happened to me the last time I got my hair professionally done. In fact my hair stayed straight even though he put no chemicals in it. Direct heat will ruin your hair. The reaction could be from the product used in conjunction with direct heat. Next time you go you should have them straighten your hair using a roller set and sit under the dryer. It will cause much less damage.
ritajoy
ritajoy

Back to top Go down