CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moisturizers that work With Kinky Curly Curling Custard

+4
LadyMika
yokiedokie
ChrsLvsBks
jamaicanmecurly
8 posters

Go down

Moisturizers that work With Kinky Curly Curling Custard Empty Moisturizers that work With Kinky Curly Curling Custard

Post by jamaicanmecurly 18th March 2010, 10:56 pm

I know some people must have found moisturizers that work with KCCC. Knot today is just not cutting it from the moisturizing perspective.

so I co-wash, spray in my leave in (a homemade mix of water, conditioner, aloe, and lavender EO) and then apply KCCC. When I do this, I get great curl clumpage (is that even a word) and great curl definition. But by the end of the day, my hair looks and feels very dry. Now this may be because KCCC is leaving my hair slightly crunchy but I don't have enough hair yet (sportin a TWA) to scrunch out the crunch.

So I tried to style without using KCCC. Co-washed, added my leave in and then apply Curls Souffle (which makes my hair feel great). And then sealed with Qhemet's moringa and castor softening serum (which is basically like heaven in a bottle) and I get so-so curl definition but my hair feels so amazingly soft. But I can't help it, I want that curl definition that I get from KCCC but not at the expense of my hair being moisturized.

So here's my question:

Maybe my leave in is not enough of a moisturizer under the KCCC. What else can I use? Even if I find a moisturizer that can be used with KCCC, don't I need to seal it with an oil before applying the KCCC so aren't I essentially back at square one with getting the benefits of KCCC and at the same time, making sure my hair is moisturized? Do you think I need to give up on KCCC?
jamaicanmecurly
jamaicanmecurly

http://thirtysomethingandsearching.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Moisturizers that work With Kinky Curly Curling Custard Empty Re: Moisturizers that work With Kinky Curly Curling Custard

Post by ChrsLvsBks 18th March 2010, 11:13 pm

Funny you should ask, I just finished watching taren916's latest YT video. She uses Tresemme's naturals conditioner. I think it is a new conditioner without silicones.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Moisturizers that work With Kinky Curly Curling Custard Empty Re: Moisturizers that work With Kinky Curly Curling Custard

Post by jamaicanmecurly 18th March 2010, 11:52 pm

Chrslvs... always to the rescue. THANK YOU!
jamaicanmecurly
jamaicanmecurly

Back to top Go down

Post by yokiedokie 19th March 2010, 11:54 pm

KBB Hair Milk works very well under KCCC. As an alternative you can use lots of Giovanni Leave in Direct or some Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream.
yokiedokie
yokiedokie

https://www.facebook.com/ystrachan

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicanmecurly 20th March 2010, 5:07 pm

@Yokiedokie, you just gave me a reason to by KBB products which is on my wish list. Ah, the PJ in me is coming out.
jamaicanmecurly
jamaicanmecurly

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 20th March 2010, 5:49 pm

I used my shea butter mix with KCCC, but I had to DILUTE it in water and conditioner first in a spray bottle because my shea mix at the time was THICK. It's thinner now that I've cut down on the oils, so I could probably just use a small amount and layer it on top of my mix (when my hair grows out some more).
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 24th March 2010, 9:35 pm

How can I get 2nd, 3rd day hair with KCCC? I took the recommendation above from yokiedokie and use Qhemet Burdock Root Cream under my KCCC. My hair comes out pretty good.

Do I need to rewet my hair daily when using KCCC and add more product? Or do I just rewet with water to get 2nd/3rd day hair?

Also, after I wet my hair I apply a Qhemet BRBC, a little jojoba, and then my KCCC for my TWA wash and go. My hair is taking forever to dry and has white clumps. I tried to use less product today and it was less clumpy but still wet after lunch around 1 pm...what gives? Am I supposed to sit under the dryer for a few w/ KCCC?

TIA.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by cassadie3 28th March 2010, 3:40 pm

@ DVAAuNaturel-- you might be using too much QB BRBC under the KCCC and/or too much KCCC its self, together these will cause a ridiculously long drying time as well as white clumpies. Try less of both and you'll probably get the same results w/o the issues.

to get 2nd/3rd day hair with it, I spritz with water THOROUGHLY, like really saturate my strands with water and then shake my head vigorously (including upside down). you'll see your curls pop right back out! good luck!
cassadie3
cassadie3

http://naturalselectionblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 28th March 2010, 3:51 pm

@cassadie-thanks for those tips! I so want KCCC to work so I'll keep trying.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicanmecurly 29th March 2010, 1:54 pm

DvaAuNaturel wrote:How can I get 2nd, 3rd day hair with KCCC? I took the recommendation above from yokiedokie and use Qhemet Burdock Root Cream under my KCCC. My hair comes out pretty good.

Do I need to rewet my hair daily when using KCCC and add more product? Or do I just rewet with water to get 2nd/3rd day hair?

Also, after I wet my hair I apply a Qhemet BRBC, a little jojoba, and then my KCCC for my TWA wash and go. My hair is taking forever to dry and has white clumps. I tried to use less product today and it was less clumpy but still wet after lunch around 1 pm...what gives? Am I supposed to sit under the dryer for a few w/ KCCC?

TIA.

I found that I can't use my jojoba oil under my KCCC application without getting the white junk. But what works for me is mixing in a little of Qhemet's castor/moringa oil in with my moisturizing cream (Curls Souffle) to coat my strands before applying KCCC. So maybe try adding a little jojoba oil to your Burdock Root Cream and mixing them together in your hands? There's also a chance that KCCC doesn't like jojoba.

I like you, REALLY want the KCCC to work for me. But I have to say, I went out and bought some EcoStyler Olive Oil this weekend and used it for the first time this morning and I really like the look and also that it is not as finnicky as KCCC. But I'm not giving up on KCCC just yet.
jamaicanmecurly
jamaicanmecurly

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 1st April 2010, 11:35 pm

I am a big Kinky Curly fan and find a lot of products like KCKT and Curls moisturizer drying on their own. I use the KT, then the Curling Custard, but follow up with QB's Amla and Olive Oil or Burdock root or Curls Whipped Cream on top of the CC. I haven't tried anything under the CC. This took me through most of my transition. Starting last week after the b/c I added rubbing a little jojoba or shea on my hands and running them over my twists or just my ends to finish. I had the white stuff once 'cause i overdid it with the shea. I only needed a little to seal.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 2nd April 2010, 1:06 am

thanks for the suggestions. I had almost given up on the KCCC because of the long drying time and also when using it there is no room for error. Do it exactly right or you will have a "hot mess," on your hands. I will try some of those things listed above.
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 7th April 2010, 11:40 pm

cassadie3 wrote:@ DVAAuNaturel-- you might be using too much QB BRBC under the KCCC and/or too much KCCC its self, together these will cause a ridiculously long drying time as well as white clumpies. Try less of both and you'll probably get the same results w/o the issues.

to get 2nd/3rd day hair with it, I spritz with water THOROUGHLY, like really saturate my strands with water and then shake my head vigorously (including upside down). you'll see your curls pop right back out! good luck!

Cassadie ur hair is so cute in your avatar. U must share your styling technique-PLEASE!
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by cassadie3 8th April 2010, 3:00 am

Hi hi --- I sent you a PM, but its basically a really old twist out (like 1.5-2 weeks) so its big and fluffy and a lot of my natural curl pattern is coming through in it.... THank you!!!!
cassadie3
cassadie3

http://naturalselectionblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 8th April 2010, 10:09 pm

coilykinks wrote:thanks for the suggestions. I had almost given up on the KCCC because of the long drying time and also when using it there is no room for error. Do it exactly right or you will have a "hot mess," on your hands. I will try some of those things listed above.

Hi Coilykinks,
Don't give up on the KCCC. It'll be worth the effort. I was in the same boat a couple of weeks ago. If it's taking a long time to dry you might be using too much. Try the tips jamaicanmecurly lists or check out my BnB thread. Some of the ladies on here gave me tips on how to get it to work.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

~Dva
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 8th June 2010, 10:05 pm

So, I'm back again with additional questions about KCCC. When I use it, I typically apply KCKT then the KCCC. I'd like to start using an oil, either coconut, jojoba, or evoo on the ends of my hair. Can I apply oil to my hair to seal while using KCCC? I think, if I read correctly, someone had problems using jojoba oil under KCCC.

Aso, can I use an oil on the ends of my hair and follow my regular KCCC regi for day 2 and beyond? For my 2,3,4th day hair with KCCC I just wet with water in shower or spritz with KC Spiral Spritz on wet hair or spritz a water+KCKT mix. All seem to work well but wondering what anyone has experienced when they threw some oil into the regi/mix.

Hope that all makes sense. Thanks in advance!
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 12th June 2010, 1:05 am

Quick question Dva, are you talking about a W&G? thanks!
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down