CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair as status symbol?

+5
LaToya28
PaganWifey
NubieNatty
tiashaunteé
ritajoy
9 posters

Go down

Hair as status symbol? Empty Hair as status symbol?

Post by ritajoy 18th March 2010, 10:24 pm

I have had this nagging feeling lately that people see me as poor or in need of financial assistance because I wear my hair natural. There has not been anything specific to speak of but I get strange looks from people who know me like they are wondering why I would choose to wear my hair this way. I get this feeling because of the questions they ask me about my hair. For example, they say "how do you get it to do that?" when I blow it out or they say, "Oh, you went to the hairdresser?" or "It must be hard to get it to do that."
These are just a few examples of some of the reaction I get.

I am also seeing more women who are natural and I complement them every chance I get. But I have noticed that many women who I see who are going natural or who are natural are working women. The women I see who are relaxed or straightened are (and how do I say this gently) are the ones who are wealthy by marriage or maybe some other means. I am not including celebrities or people in the entertainment industry, but just everyday people.

Is natural hair becoming an indicator of one's socioeconomic class?
Does anyone else feel this way or see it another way? I would love to hear your thoughts.

I am a single woman in a committed relationship in a household where my boyfriend and I both work. I guess we are middle class. We have no children and can afford to live comfortably.
ritajoy
ritajoy

Back to top Go down

Hair as status symbol? Empty Re: Hair as status symbol?

Post by tiashaunteé 19th March 2010, 2:46 am

Interesting view point.

However, I feel the opposite. I noticed years ago that (regular) people with money dress like they are living check to check but the broke folks dress to impress like that have the disposable income to waste at the salon. I am basing all of this off of people that I actually know or have encountered.

For example, I have a coworker that dresses like she found her clothes in the free bin at the salvation army. I lost count of how many cars she has, her house is freakin HUGE (mine can fit in it twice) and her and her hubby by season tickets to sporting events each year. And they both work in well paid positions.

Then, I have a "friend" that refuses to wear clothing that is not name brand and keeps her hair done. But she has nothing she can call her own - except her clothes I guess.

I really think that people stare because they are curious. A lot of people don't understand the dynamics behind natural hair. Take it as a compliment.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 19th March 2010, 8:38 am

tia i TOTALLY agree!! Even before goin natural i never looked at people thinkin they didnt have money. The main people with such ignorant views are the main ones livin check to check anywayz. it kills me (another pet peeve) that folks can be so all up in YOUR business and checkin for what u wearin and what u got on but have nothin to show for themselves. So what if they wanna rock designer clothes and drive expensive cars in the end they pullin up in the driveway of an apt complex or they mama'z basement.

Furthermore, in my case bein natural definitely doesnt make me look poor cuz if they think for one minute my stash is CHEAP think again, lol. i been buyin more products than clothes lately and need a seperate account just to keep track of my spending for my hair!!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 19th March 2010, 8:52 am

I agree with NubieNatty and Tia. Being natural can be hard don't get me wrong but I don't think people are staring at you thinking "She's so poor her man can't get a perm from Walmart?!".

And if they are who gives a shit? If your hair's on point let that hate roll right off of you.

But yeah....it's 2010. The concept of hair being an indicator of socioeconomic status is a bit antiquated. If anything, the statements you referenced just show a lack of knowledge about natural hair.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 19th March 2010, 12:03 pm

ITA wit Tiashauntee! The ones who try the hardest are usually the ones who are doing the worst financially. It's almost like they have to cover up their shortcomings with nice clothes and hair. How do I know this--because I've been there! LOL..I was fly from head to toe, but my bank account was on E!

I think in some areas of the country it's the complete opposite of what you have observed. It seems to me that more affluent blacks are wearing their hair natural than those of lower socioeconomic status.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 19th March 2010, 12:11 pm

LaToya28 wrote:It seems to me that more affluent blacks are wearing their hair natural than those who of lower socioeconomic status.

I agree because when I think of natural I think of Tanika Ray, Susan Taylor, Robin Roberts (i hope she stays natural), Oprah, Eleanor Norton, and so many other "stand up" women

The other day I was watching a kimmaytube vid and she stated that all women should have something going for them other than their hair. I know hair is a big part of life but I feel where she is coming from and she make a good point. Basically - don't have an "on point" hair style and then look like a hotmess in all other areas of your life
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 19th March 2010, 12:54 pm

Don't forget the first lady, Michelle Obama! I wish she would just wear a fro one day!

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 19th March 2010, 12:59 pm

LaToya28 wrote:Don't forget the first lady, Michelle Obama! I wish she would just wear a fro one day!

She's not natural, is she? I thought I read that she does get relaxers.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 19th March 2010, 1:02 pm

tiashauntee wrote:
LaToya28 wrote:Don't forget the first lady, Michelle Obama! I wish she would just wear a fro one day!

Scratch that, I just read this:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1330287/african_american_hair_michelle_obama.html?cat=69
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 19th March 2010, 1:06 pm

tiashauntee wrote:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she wears a relaxer. To speak to your first point Tia, I agree. I worked in the world's largest law firm for a while and the partners were millionaires a few times over, what were they rocking? Lee Jeans! Meanwhile, I know a bunch of unemployed folks who won't rock anything but "Polo." Same is true on campus, folks with money wear the same pair of jeans everyday-- literally. While the ones taking out a million loans are rocking "NorthFace" or whatever the name is.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ~JOME~ 19th March 2010, 1:09 pm

tiashauntee wrote:
tiashauntee wrote:

Scratch that, I just read this:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1330287/african_american_hair_michelle_obama.html?cat=69

Wow...I always thought Michelle used relaxers. Learn something new everyday!
~JOME~
~JOME~

Back to top Go down

Post by ritajoy 23rd March 2010, 5:52 pm

Thanks for all the wonderful comments. I am new to this and do not want to be negative but I appreciate your thoughts and support and will try to focus on the health of our wonderful african tresses. I think people are more in amazement that our hair does not have to be frizzy, but coily and beautiful.

Rita

How do I attach a picture to my username?
ritajoy
ritajoy

Back to top Go down

Post by KreyolKatt 23rd March 2010, 6:12 pm

Hey ritajoy
I've run into a lot of stereotyping since going natural, too. I usually get the opposite though. Instead of poor/in need of financial assistance, I usually get "educated types" or "power woman" or " poetic/earthy types" or "man hater" . I see that everyone in here is from different areas ( south, midwest, NE), so it's interesting to hear the different experiences. Maybe perceptions of natural hair depend on geographic location. I dunno. It's all very interesting, though( especially since I just wanted curly hair!). I guess I just take it as part of my journey:)

I see you've figured out the picture, thing. Lovely pic Smile
KreyolKatt
KreyolKatt

Back to top Go down

Post by MellowOne 23rd March 2010, 7:55 pm

tiashauntee wrote:Interesting view point.

However, I feel the opposite. I noticed years ago that (regular) people with money dress like they are living check to check but the broke folks dress to impress like that have the disposable income to waste at the salon. I am basing all of this off of people that I actually know or have encountered.

For example, I have a coworker that dresses like she found her clothes in the free bin at the salvation army. I lost count of how many cars she has, her house is freakin HUGE (mine can fit in it twice) and her and her hubby by season tickets to sporting events each year. And they both work in well paid positions.

Then, I have a "friend" that refuses to wear clothing that is not name brand and keeps her hair done. But she has nothing she can call her own - except her clothes I guess.

I really think that people stare because they are curious. A lot of people don't understand the dynamics behind natural hair. Take it as a compliment.

ITA with this I have always been told that the way to keep money is to act as if you don't have any. I have noticed that the ppl in my family that have money look very reg to say the least and the broke ppl look like they own the bank lol

The only way I would think someone would look at your hair in ref to your economic status would be if it wasn't combed or something like that [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MellowOne
MellowOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down