CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moisturizers for a transitioner

+8
Pinkpearls
thatmochagirl
letha
jess-b-cuz
HAMPTONSFNST
Naturalin2010
mstokes2008
Ms.Fenty
12 posters

Go down

Moisturizers for a transitioner Empty Moisturizers for a transitioner

Post by Ms.Fenty 14th March 2010, 6:13 pm

Hello Ladies, I am currently transitioning and barely two months in, I have been using BB oil moisturizer for a good while now and I really like it, but some of the ingredients that are lower on the list are in the "bad" category. I'm becoming more conscious of the products I put in my hair (and on my skin), so I did a shea butter whip, which I love, but I still feel like I need a water based moisturizer for my hair. I know water is the best, but I just started transitioning so most my hair is still relaxed (water+relaxed hair = limp/dead twist out = boooo). I've read something about Qhemet biologics, its pretty expensive but the reviews look really good, so I want to try something more affordable before I take the plunge w/the Qhemet....Any suggestions?
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Moisturizers for a transitioner Empty Re: Moisturizers for a transitioner

Post by mstokes2008 14th March 2010, 6:19 pm

I really like the Hawaiian Silky 14-n-1. It was pretty inexpensive at Sally's. That's all I really use as a moisturizer. Where did you get your shea butter from? I've been looking everywhere and it's never the unrefined kind. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 14th March 2010, 6:32 pm

Omg, I just had that issue last week, I got it from butters n bars and I'm really happy with it. I used to use Hawaiian Silky but I had stopped years ago b/c it made my hair feel too oily, but I'll read the ingredients next time I see it and maybe try it again. Thanx

Heres the BnB link: http://www.butters-n-bars.com/index.html
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 14th March 2010, 9:59 pm

Wow thanks so much! What's your recipe for making your shea butter whip?
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 14th March 2010, 11:00 pm

Well in my opinion its important to familiarize yourself w/the different oils before mixing them altogether. So...
1. coconut oil- because it leaves my hair soft and shiny
2. hemp seed oil-I did some research because I didn't want to put too many oils in it, and I also wanted to use it on my skin, so I decided on hemp seed oil because its supposed to be good for my dry skin/eczema
3. lavender EO- I thought it would smell good and it supposed to help w/itchy scalp.
4. tangerine oil-it turns out that I hate the lavender smell (like crushed bitter green leaves ) which is why I decided to get the tangerine oil for fragrance.

I'm still perfecting my ratios though, lavender is really strong, and this is only my first time so no big deal. Also another plus of not using too many oils is that you can always add w/e you think is missing
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalin2010 18th March 2010, 3:12 pm

@Ms.Fenty is there a site that you went to, to research the different types of oils and what they are used for?
Naturalin2010
Naturalin2010

http://kaynatural1.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 18th March 2010, 6:57 pm

u can find some of the info on butters n bars, but I pretty much just googled them, I tried to go to more than one site, just to make sure I was getting the right info too
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 22nd March 2010, 12:06 pm

Remember to blend essential oils(peppermint, tea tree, lemon, sweet orange, lavendar) with carrier oils(castor, avocado, EVOO, EVCO) for best results.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by jess-b-cuz 26th April 2010, 1:07 am

Im a new transitioner and i was wondering if anyone has used apricot oil in there shea butter whip
jess-b-cuz
jess-b-cuz

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 26th April 2010, 11:27 am

Right now what I am using is Darcy Bontanicals Transitioning Cream and Daily leave in and I use that to moisturize my hair right b4 I detangle my hair for rollerset or braidout and it really helps my NG.. I also use Hawaaian Silky and just started using Taliah Waajid's Protective Mist Bodifier its a leave in and a detangler and its about as thick as Hawaaian Silky.. I might start to add just a little water so I can make it last a little also..

Jess-b-Cuz I've been eyeing apricot oil but haven't purchased it yet...

Last edited by letha on 27th April 2010, 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by thatmochagirl 26th April 2010, 4:20 pm

Shea butter and jojoba oil are the only two moisturizers I'm using ...
I just co-wash - detangle - then put in my shea butter then the jojoba as a sealant and thats it... After that I just twist my hair up and then when its dry its soooo soft and amazingly Shiny!!!

i bought both of them from butters n bars for like 14 DOLLARS! Very Happy
thatmochagirl
thatmochagirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 26th April 2010, 6:37 pm

@thatmochagirl-I just started a thread not too long ago about shea butter being a moisturizer vs sealant in the general topics section, you might want to take a look, most of the ladies are saying its not a moisturizer
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkpearls 26th April 2010, 11:51 pm

I also use Darcy's Botanicals. I use the Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Creme and the Madagascar Vanilla Styling Creme. At night, I lightly spritz with rosewater, followed by the transitioning creme and styling creme, braid hair and scarf. I just ordered the leave-in and might use in place of the styling creme.
Pinkpearls
Pinkpearls

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell_with_the_Curls 27th April 2010, 12:40 am

I had never heard of Darcy's Botanicals until just now! I spent a good 30 minutes reading product descriptions and reviews and I'm eager to try some stuff! (I might be on the verge of PJ'ism.) I have some stuff I can't just throw out (it's a recesssion) so maybe I can swap some things eventually. Thanks ladies for mentioning!

Kell_with_the_Curls

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 27th April 2010, 11:58 am

During my long transition, I moisturized with braid sprays and curl activator sprays. Now I use my own mix of water, conditioner, EOs and COs. I seal with either jojoba, castor oil or whipped unrefined shea butter.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by thatmochagirl 10th May 2010, 1:35 pm

hmm I will look at your topic @ Ms.Fenty

I think I use the Jojoba and shea together as a moisturizer and then I put more shea at my ends to seal them ...

that works like a charm for me!
thatmochagirl
thatmochagirl

Back to top Go down

Post by GeminiNaps 14th May 2010, 3:56 pm

I have a question about moisturizers also--is it better to put some in at night when re-twisting/braiding or in the morning when fluffing? I ask because I woke up this morning and my hair was super dry, but I didn't put anything on it last night before bed.

Also I'm on the search for a good moisturizer. I bout the Curls moisturizer spray from Target--but I don't think my hair likes it because it was still feeling dry after I sprayed it on this morning.
GeminiNaps
GeminiNaps

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanisia3G 14th May 2010, 5:28 pm

@letha- I have never heard of Darcy Bontanicals Transitioning Cream and Daily leave in before. Do you have to order it online or do they sell it over the counter?
Vanisia3G
Vanisia3G

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 14th May 2010, 9:05 pm

@GeminiNaps I usually moisturize and seal at night, but if my hair feels dry in the morning I do it in the morning, but I think some people do it twice daily.

I tried Darcy's Botanicals transitioning creme (available online only) and it was too wet for me to use daily (because I don't rebraid every night), and it's not amazing (but not bad either) at detangling, I think Giovanni Direct leave-in works the same (as far as detangling/leave-in) so I'd rather use that because it costs less and I can buy it in a store. I started using Komaza Care coconut curl hair lotion and its working for me, its not too wet or greasy. However, I'm not a fan of the price, has anyone tried Elasta QP mango butter...is it cone and mineral oil/petrolatum free? I can't find it at any BSS in my area
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by GeminiNaps 14th May 2010, 10:11 pm

@Ms.Fenty--thanks so much!
GeminiNaps
GeminiNaps

Back to top Go down

Post by angelcake 22nd May 2010, 10:23 pm

The Qhemet Biologics heavy cream with amala is the best moisturizer I've used so far. I also use Carol's Daughter black vanilla leave in conditioner. Shea butter is not my hair's best friend but I use it on my skin and I love it! Giovanni smooth as silk shampoo and trader joes conditioner. Hope this helps!

angelcake

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down