CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The sun is coming, and that means CHLORINE!

+2
brownsugar09
ShugAvery
6 posters

Go down

The sun is coming, and that means CHLORINE! Empty The sun is coming, and that means CHLORINE!

Post by ShugAvery 5th March 2010, 10:59 am

Hello Ladies,
I'm a cowashing, no pooing CG all the way. With that being said I wanna be in SOMEBODY'S pool this summer and I know better than to not be concerned about the chlorine in my hair. Is castile soap enough to get the chlorine out? Usually when I want to clarify I use baking soda. Are either of these things good enough? I don't want to risk it and if I could avoid a pricey sulfate free shampoo I would love to!
ShugAvery
ShugAvery

Back to top Go down

The sun is coming, and that means CHLORINE! Empty Re: The sun is coming, and that means CHLORINE!

Post by brownsugar09 5th March 2010, 6:30 pm

Hey Shug,

Last summer I got my Scuba Diving certification so I spent a lot of time in the pool/water. The first thing I did was buy a good nylon swim cap (not the plastic ones). I would coat my hair in condish (Suave Naturals) and put on my cap before I swam. Then it was just a matter of doing a co-wash that night. When I was done swimming for the week, I clarified with baking soda and a splash of ACV. I had no problems. HTH!
brownsugar09
brownsugar09

Back to top Go down

The sun is coming, and that means CHLORINE! Empty Re: The sun is coming, and that means CHLORINE!

Post by TutuKia 5th March 2010, 7:01 pm

I think a swimming cap will be fine =D

TutuKia

Back to top Go down

Post by ShugAvery 5th March 2010, 9:33 pm

Thanks ladies, I'll revisit the swimming cap idea. I remember them failing when I was a kid, but maybe that's just because my mother didn't know about the nylon caps. Maybe I can find a vintage cap with the flowers on it like in movies... My swimsuit is from the 50's. Im excited about swimming again, I was worried for a minute.
ShugAvery
ShugAvery

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 5th March 2010, 9:39 pm

i agree w/brownsugar cuz i plan on doin JUST that before i hit the pool. i like the flower swim cap idea, lol.
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by bklynmama1 6th March 2010, 1:18 am

Can someone please explain clarifying to me? My daughter has her swim class on Saturdays and I just put in coconut oil and olive oil the night before the class and afterwards I come home and co wash/DC (I'm in the water too, it's a mommy and me). I don't wear a swim cap. Do I need to do something additional and why? And do I also need to clarify my daughter's hair? She's only 17 months.
bklynmama1
bklynmama1

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 6th March 2010, 12:25 pm

@ brklynmama: Clarifying is simply removing buildup from the scalp, such as, dirt, grease, etc. Shampooing with a non-sulfate shampoo usually does the trick. However, you only apply shampoo directly to the scalp and concentrate on removing buildup from the scalp. Then you follow up with your fave conditioner and go from there. HTH!

For your daughter, a light baby shampoo should work just fine. I don't think you really need to clarify for her like you would for you. I don't wear a cap in the pool, either. I just slather my hair in conditioner, swim, and then do a thorough wash afterwards. My hair is just fine. Smile
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down