CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Simple Henna Mix

+8
Hummingbird
TMS
Mrs. Hudson
rnewsome
R2D2
ButterQueen
NewlyNina
Juices-n-Berries
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Simple Henna Mix - Page 2 Empty Re: Simple Henna Mix

Post by R2D2 14th March 2010, 5:15 am

@Mrs Hudson,

You don't tend to see the looser curls on the first attempt, it seems to be more commonly reported on 3rd or 4th attempts because henna gets progressively coated on the hair shaft with every attempt, which slowly weighs the curl down a bit more. Also, not everyone gets the curl loosening effect so it's not guaranteed or even wanted by some.

If you were otherwise happy with your first mix then stick with it. I personally only mix my henna with coconut milk and get good colour and softness. But then I don't use Jamilla and there seems to be more emphasis with its users about using an acid for dye release. That might be because it has a slower dye release time compared to other hennas apparently.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 14th March 2010, 5:21 am

It also can depend on your curl type. I'm not sure what kind of curls you have, but 4b hair doesn't really have a curl pattern, so in a sense there is no curl to loosen. My hair is 4b with a mixture of 4a. I noticed that the 4a curls were popping all over the place, but the 4b, there wasn't much change. I did however get color and shine with Jamilla.

Btw, I don't have a fully functioning computer, which is why I have yet to post my results. But I will definitely show you all once I am up and running.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Hudson 14th March 2010, 3:06 pm

@ At R2D2 Ok, Thanks for the info. I will stick to the mix I'm currently using.

@ Juices N Berries I am a mixture of 3c & 4a.
Mrs. Hudson
Mrs. Hudson

Back to top Go down

Post by Hummingbird 14th March 2010, 4:17 pm

I agree with a few responses here. After hearing that lemon juice is particularly drying on curly hair, I decided to add water until I felt it wasn't so acidic. To do this, I put lemon juice in a bowl and added water until it tasted less like pure lemon juice but not like lemonade. My henna and hair came out very nice.
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 25th March 2010, 2:15 pm

Mrs. Hudson, check out the following videos that should help you with a successful twist out ... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct3IABXLIkg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_kvbSDGwPs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvzSctd-Pnc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-KzbLBFTZo
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Hudson 26th March 2010, 2:01 am

Thank you Envizionj! I will check them out and let you know how it goes.
Mrs. Hudson
Mrs. Hudson

Back to top Go down

Post by All.day.I.dream.of.Curls 12th April 2010, 3:12 pm

I just used henna for the 3rd time yesterday (Rainbow brand from Whole Foods) and it seems to take FOREVER to wash out. Do you have any tips for washing out henna? Here is my mix and how long I let is sit.

Mix:
4 oz of Mahogany Henna
1 large egg
3 tbsp of Olive Oil
2 tbsp of Castor Oil
1/2 cup of hot water

I let it stand for a little over 3 hours. I put on a shower cap and wrapped my head Erica Badu style, lol (side note: my bf hates when i wrap my head). Anyway, It was still moist when I went to wash it out however I pooed w/ the Indian bar soap 3 times, I deeped conditioned and conditioned a second time while rinsing with a wide tooth comb and all the grains finally came out. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] sheesh! I can only imagine what my water bill will look like.

Any suggestions?
All.day.I.dream.of.Curls
All.day.I.dream.of.Curls

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 12th April 2010, 4:06 pm

AllDayIDreamOfCurls, I have never used that brand of henna. I use Jamila Summer Crop 2009 brand henna and I just wash it out easily in the shower with shampoo and conditioner. There is no residue whatsoever, since it is
super sifted.
I have even used Yemen henna and had the same results even with henna on my head overnight. It takes me 5 minutes if that long to wash out all the henna out of my hair while standing under the shower. My hair is shoulder length stretched. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by All.day.I.dream.of.Curls 12th April 2010, 6:04 pm

Thanks Envizionj! I won't call it a residue, the actually mix is just grainy and gets stuck in between my curls. I will try one of the products that you mentioned. I've used henna a few years back and don't remember experience what I did with the last use . Needless to say I won't be using Rainbow Henna again! Thanks again [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
All.day.I.dream.of.Curls
All.day.I.dream.of.Curls

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalchic 21st April 2010, 8:03 pm

Hello all,

question, I'm new to henna i wanted to try it for myself, found a local Indian store went in they were extremely rude and impatient with me. Needless to say i was looking at other items in the store and most stuff had expirations dates in 2009 so i left that store...very bad experience....but thats not gonna stop me.

so i wanted to know what is the real difference between the different types?. my hair currently is died a deep red, would love to maintain this color, but im unsure of what henna to purchase and then what are amla and what not for? I really want to try this cause my hair lacks shine, and is very porous..

thanks
naturalchic
naturalchic

Back to top Go down

Post by raslade808 28th April 2010, 1:37 pm

@ naturalchic ...

I would buy Jamila henna, under curly nikki's regimen she shows you places to buy it. I use the Jamila because it is so much easier to wash out than the other brands i have tried.

Amla is actually used to also condition the hair... but some say that it can "darken" hair. personally, i didn't see that. the henna still dyed my hair redish. i have medium brown colored hair.. and i wanted it darker, not redder.

raslade808

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalchic 28th April 2010, 8:19 pm

raslade808 wrote:@ naturalchic ...

I would buy Jamila henna, under curly nikki's regimen she shows you places to buy it. I use the Jamila because it is so much easier to wash out than the other brands i have tried.

Amla is actually used to also condition the hair... but some say that it can "darken" hair. personally, i didn't see that. the henna still dyed my hair redish. i have medium brown colored hair.. and i wanted it darker, not redder.

@ raslade808

Thank i manged to find a place here that does henna tattoos and she sells the triple sifted 2009 jamila so i brought it but have not tried it....
naturalchic
naturalchic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2