CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Simple Henna Mix

+8
Hummingbird
TMS
Mrs. Hudson
rnewsome
R2D2
ButterQueen
NewlyNina
Juices-n-Berries
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Simple Henna Mix Empty Simple Henna Mix

Post by Juices-n-Berries 4th March 2010, 3:32 pm

So, I have some Jamilla Henna that I ordered from BnB. I've been stalking the threads and YouTube and seen tons of mixes, most of which seem to be quite elaborate. I would really like to henna my hair, but would prefer to use the simplest mix this first go round just to see how it will affect my hair. I know the BnB website says just henna and lemon juice, but I've heard the lemon juice is drying. I know some people use teas and all that but it just seems complicated. Does anyone have a very simple henna mix that they would like to share?
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Simple Henna Mix Empty Re: Simple Henna Mix

Post by NewlyNina 4th March 2010, 3:38 pm

Hey

I use
1/2 box henna
1/2 box amla
2 bags green tea
honey

I used the amla to tone down the henna because my hair is sandy red brownish color as is (see my avatar). But I'm Lovin It!

Hope this helps...
NewlyNina
NewlyNina

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 4th March 2010, 3:42 pm

NewlyNina wrote:Hey

I use
1/2 box henna
1/2 box amla
2 bags green tea
honey

I used the amla to tone down the henna because my hair is sandy red brownish color as is (see my avatar). But I'm Lovin It!

Hope this helps...

Thanks for your response. Question. When you say two bags of green tea, what does that mean exactly? As in, how much water do you use to put the two bags of tea in? Oh, and how much honey?
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by NewlyNina 4th March 2010, 4:10 pm

No problem @ all!

As for as the tea goes I just follow the instructions on the box and thats it. And normally you will need about (1) cup to mix the henna. So just look at the instructions to make (1) cup of tea. And for the honey I don't measure...but I'm guessing about 2tbsp. Hopes this makes sense....and I wasn't confusing.
NewlyNina
NewlyNina

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 4th March 2010, 5:13 pm

hi there,
if you feel that the lemon juice may be to drying then you can always use a less acidic juice like OJ or you can dilute the juice using a 1:1 ration (i.e half lemon juice and half water). Remember hennaing can be as easy or as complicated as you want it to be but have fun and you'll love it (by the way I recommend the lemon juice because I have seen excellent results using just it without drying)
Happy Hennaing,
Sharika of BnB
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

http://www.butters-n-bars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 5th March 2010, 12:28 am

My mix is very simple. Henna and coconut milk. that's it! I love it and I get good dye release every time.

But anyway mixes are very personal so I would start simple and experiment with other ingredients if you aren't entirely happy with your results. I started off with just henna and water and experimented from there. if you start simple it's much easier to get the mix right for you because you can look at the results and determine what your hair needs more of e.g. in terms of dye release, how dry it feels and so on.

I also think that the quality of the henna is important. I saw a far bigger change in the speed of dye release and conditioning results from changing to a better quality henna than I did with changing my mix around.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 5th March 2010, 1:15 am

ButterQueen wrote:hi there,
if you feel that the lemon juice may be to drying then you can always use a less acidic juice like OJ or you can dilute the juice using a 1:1 ration (i.e half lemon juice and half water). Remember hennaing can be as easy or as complicated as you want it to be but have fun and you'll love it (by the way I recommend the lemon juice because I have seen excellent results using just it without drying)
Happy Hennaing,
Sharika of BnB

Thanks Sharika for your advice and thanks for continuing to provide an avenue to obtain natural hair products.

R2D2 wrote:My mix is very simple. Henna and coconut milk. that's it! I love it and I get good dye release every time.

But anyway mixes are very personal so I would start simple and experiment with other ingredients if you aren't entirely happy with your results. I started off with just henna and water and experimented from there. if you start simple it's much easier to get the mix right for you because you can look at the results and determine what your hair needs more of e.g. in terms of dye release, how dry it feels and so on.

I also think that the quality of the henna is important. I saw a far bigger change in the speed of dye release and conditioning results from changing to a better quality henna than I did with changing my mix around.

I like the idea of using the coconut milk. However, does it have any acid in it. I was under the impression an acid was needed. Would it be weird if I put half acid, half coconut milk. Or would that be doing too much?

Oh and one more question. I know your hair needs to be clean so I'd have to wash first. Can you henna on wet hair?
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 5th March 2010, 1:43 am

No, you don't have to put acid in it. Many people do not - for example Indians often only mix it with water or yoghurt. The purpose of adding an acid is to release the dye faster but having done it both ways, I don't see much difference to my final hair coverage and I'm 30% grey. I always leave my mixes to sit overnight but I notice dye release within minutes of mixing coconut milk with my henna but mind you, I do pay a bit extra for a good quality henna online.

I found acid to be more drying than without acid, which was why I dropped it in the end. However, some people however do believe that they get better coverage with an acid and with no resulting dryness, so I respect their experiences as well. It's something you have to work out for yourself as an individual and you should give it a try at some stage. Asking yourself whether your hair is naturally dry might help you decide either way.

If you would like to add acids then apart from lemon and orange juice you can add apple cider vinegar, amla powder and even green tea. I did mix coconut milk with ACV once but wasn't too impressed with the result so maybe they don't go well together. I pretty much mixed my other acids with water. These days I only do coconut milk every time as my experimentation days are over.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 5th March 2010, 1:58 am

Thanks. That is VERY helpful. I think I will try at first with the coconut milk. Cuz actually I dunno about this color situation anyway. Not a fan of red. So even if it doesn't release no loss. The next time I'll try the acid mixed with water and see how that goes.

Do you mind if I ask what kind of henna you use?
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 5th March 2010, 3:08 pm

hi juice n berries, if you want the effects of henna but dont want to change your color then try cassia which is a member of the same plant family as henna but adds no color, another option is Jamila Henna for hair, which is high quality henna but has a lower dye content. Another option may be doing a henna gloss.
Either way HAVE FUN!!! AND DONT FORGET TO KEEP US POSTED [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 5th March 2010, 9:02 pm

@ Juicesnberries (from Coming to America? Great movie)

To your question, I'm using certified organic rajasthani henna that I purchase online.

Butterqueen has given you some good suggestions and you already have Jamila, which has a slower dye release time compared to other hennas and mixed with coconut milk you'd have a great conditioning session! Your hair looks pretty dark in the avatar so it's unlikely you will end up raven red, since the colour you end up with depends a lot on the natural colour of the hair you start out with.

Do report back when you are in the process of doing it. I love reading first time henna stories!
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 5th March 2010, 9:24 pm

ButterQueen wrote:hi juice n berries, if you want the effects of henna but dont want to change your color then try cassia which is a member of the same plant family as henna but adds no color, another option is Jamila Henna for hair, which is high quality henna but has a lower dye content. Another option may be doing a henna gloss.
Either way HAVE FUN!!! AND DONT FORGET TO KEEP US POSTED [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Is that the only difference between the two? The color? Thanks agan. I'll definitely keep you posted.

R2D2 wrote:@ Juicesnberries (from Coming to America? Great movie)

To your question, I'm using certified organic rajasthani henna that I purchase online.

Butterqueen has given you some good suggestions and you already have Jamila, which has a slower dye release time compared to other hennas and mixed with coconut milk you'd have a great conditioning session! Your hair looks pretty dark in the avatar so it's unlikely you will end up raven red, since the colour you end up with depends a lot on the natural colour of the hair you start out with.

Do report back when you are in the process of doing it. I love reading first time henna stories!

Yes, It's from Coming To Amerca. That's my favorite movie! I wll definitely keep you posted and show my results. Thanks for all your advce.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 6th March 2010, 11:47 am

yes juice n berries,
thats the only difference...cassia will give you the condition without the color and as R2D2 mentioned since you already have henna by lowering or elliminating the acid you're safe as far coloring goes.
Thanks so much,
Sharika
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by rnewsome 9th March 2010, 4:32 am

hello ladies, I know it's me a gain. I am still trying to figure out an ideal henna formula. My hubbie came home from school today so i will do it to his hair. he has elbow length locks and i will attempt to henna it. no color just an overnight deep conditioner.

200g of reshma henna
3tsp of honey
coconut milk(4tsp)
alma oil
and green jasmine
I hope this works, he has complete faith in me(me the blind.....) well here goes. wish me luck
rnewsome
rnewsome

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 9th March 2010, 9:14 pm

My henna is currently mixing and I plan to henna tomorrow. I'll give you guys the full scoop once I'm done. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 10th March 2010, 10:39 am

I forgot to cover my henna with plastic wrap last night. Is that bad? Is that going to effect the result?
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Hudson 10th March 2010, 8:31 pm

Question, I didn't see it answered here...Are you supposed to Henna on wet or dry hair?
Mrs. Hudson
Mrs. Hudson

Back to top Go down

Post by TMS 11th March 2010, 7:19 pm

@everyone - does anyone recommend henna on a twa? i have about an inch of tightly coil hair.
TMS
TMS

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 11th March 2010, 8:55 pm

@ juices and berries,

It wouldn't affect the result but would probably be pretty messy! How did it turn out?

@ Mrs Hudson,
You can do it on either wet or dry hair but most people do it on clean, wet hair. Clean hair means that the colour can deposit on the hair strand better theoretically.

@TMS
Yes, henna can be done on a twa. It will be a lot easier and less messy for you than for us with longer curls!
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by TMS 11th March 2010, 11:42 pm

@R2D2 - thank you!
TMS
TMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Hudson 12th March 2010, 3:43 pm

Hello All :-) Ok. I did my first henna yesterday on my dry hair per instruction from Butters N Bars where I purchased Jamila Henna. I applied it (after letting it sit overnight) at about 12:30p.m and rinsed it out at about 8:30p.m. I deep conditioned under the dryer for about 30min. I applied my mix of Shea Butter, Coconut Oil and a lil bit of honey. I don't really see a change. I already have soft hair to begin with, I noticed it felt a little more silkier but still no shine. I'm wondering if I did something wrong or if it will just take a few times of doing Henna for it to show a difference? I notice a lot of people notice changes right away...I followed the instrunctions from Butters N Bars. Any advice ladies on what I should do next go round? I really want to get some great results like everyone else I see her on the forums :-)
Mrs. Hudson
Mrs. Hudson

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 12th March 2010, 4:29 pm

Hi Mrs, Hudson!!
couple of ??s, were you using 'date stamp' henna (Jamila '09) or were you using Jamila Henna for Hair?
2nd ??, did you check for dye release?
Many initial hennaers will not see a difference immediately...particularly if the hair is very dark. Usually the 2nd or 3rd application using body art quality henna will give you results , especially if you mix it with something fun like hibiscus!!
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 12th March 2010, 8:55 pm

Yes, I saw more prominent results on my 4th application. You left it on the hair for a long time though. I think 3 hours max is enough if you have already let it sit overnight for dye release. What was your mix Mrs Hudson?
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 13th March 2010, 4:34 am

My first henna experience once great! I will post pics and results soon. Stay tuned!
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Hudson 14th March 2010, 1:31 am

@ ButterQueen no mine wasn't date stamped it was just Jamila Henna. Yes, I did check for dye release and I got the orange dot on my hand where I tested it. It wasn't really the color I was concerned about, I expected something to change with my hair. I guess I expected looser more clumped curls or, nice shiny appearance. My hair is already soft in texture, very little coarseness and my hair color appears to be an off black/ dark brown but when sunlight hits it, it's a brownish red (naturally). Should I have noticed a texture change or at least some shine?

@R2D2 My mix was henna, lemon juice, lavender oil and a lil bit of cinnamon. I got my instructions from the butters n bars website where I ordered it. What would you suggest for my 2nd attempt? I think I'm going to try again in 2 weeks.

Also another question totally off the Henna subject ( I hope it's ok) I tried doing twist outs on my hair and they turned out horrible...When I undid the twists they were set but I had no idea how to style afterwards...Needless to say they looked a HOT MESS...I am getting bored w/ my hair and I don't know what kind of simple styles I can try. Any suggestions or tips would be helpful. I am 3mo in to not curling my hair and I am so tempted to just revert back to what I know.
Mrs. Hudson
Mrs. Hudson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next