CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Straw hair afte Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo

+20
EagerCurler
SuperBadd
Naturally Esq
Gado-Gado Gal
swoodward
HappyCurly
Juices-n-Berries
LaToya28
Heart2Worship
Sequoia
Blex
natural83
ktoliver5303
Monnie
d.denise
tressedforsuccess
sweetdrk1
QTY PYE
poeticlyspkng
besona
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Straw hair afte Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo Empty Straw hair afte Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo

Post by besona 20th February 2010, 8:43 pm

Today was the second time I shampooed with Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo. I left me hair feeling clean but the relaxed hairs felt straw like,hard, but elastic. The strands could stretch like a rubber band and the snap! This also happened the first time I used it. Am not sure if this happens because of my hair or what I am using? Before I was using Giovanni I was using VO5 shampoo and had the same experience. Can anyone give some insight on what might be going on??? Thanks in advance
besona
besona

Back to top Go down

Straw hair afte Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo Empty Re: Straw hair afte Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo

Post by poeticlyspkng 20th February 2010, 8:50 pm

Hmmmm... I use Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo and have never had those results. Sounds like something in it doesn't agree with your hair. Maybe you can compare the ingredients in the 2 since they give you the same experience. Maybe you need to go with a no poo instead.
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Straw hair afte Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo Empty Re: Straw hair afte Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo

Post by QTY PYE 20th February 2010, 9:36 pm

No-poo would be a a great option. I also use Giovanni products, I only use the shampoo at the end of the month to help clean off buildup. Weekly I just co-wash with the Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner, no shampoo and I also use Giovanni Leave-in Conditioner. If you prefer using shampoo for your hair though, maybe mixing it with a little of your favorite conditioner or oil will give you better results.
QTY PYE
QTY PYE

Back to top Go down

Post by besona 20th February 2010, 9:50 pm

thanx alot ladies
besona
besona

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 20th February 2010, 10:36 pm

Does that one have Protein in it? You may be protein sensitive. I have a similar issues with the SAS
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by besona 20th February 2010, 10:38 pm

i have no [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] clue. how would i be able to tell?
besona
besona

Back to top Go down

Post by tressedforsuccess 20th February 2010, 11:54 pm

I had the same results when I was transitioning. I'm not protein sensitive, but something in that shampoo turned my hair to straw ON CONTACT. I tried it again after the BC and I had better results. Maybe it's something about that shampoo and relaxed hair?
tressedforsuccess
tressedforsuccess

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 21st February 2010, 1:17 am

I had similar results but my hair is all natural. And it sucks because I loved the conditioner lol. I didn't do an ingredient analysis or anything but I ended up switching to trader joes nourish spa shampoo and it worked much better for me. I tend to be heavy handed so I have to remember not to use so much. You could also try pre pooing with your favorite oil to prep your hair for your shampoo.
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by Monnie 21st February 2010, 1:55 am

I am glad you brought this up because I have been tracking this shampoo in my journal for almost 2 months. I am 3.5 months into transitioning and I have had a similar experience with the Giovanni Tea Tree. Something about this shampoo does not agree with my hair. I like the way it cleans my scalp but I absolutely hate the way it feels on my hair; like tressedforsuccess, it makes my hair feel icky, dry and like straw on contact. I tried to pre-poo once and it seemed to help quite a bit, but I am too lazy to pre-poo all the time. My hair only feels icky and dry while I am shampooing because I always follow up with a good conditioner/detangler and good dc, but I am sure if I did not have a good conditioner my hair would also feel like icky and strawlike once dry. I think, if you want to continue using this shampoo, you really need to use a great conditioner/detangler and good deep conditioner every time. I will continue to use the shampoo because I still have product left, but I will try another shampoo once it runs out.
Monnie
Monnie

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 21st February 2010, 5:27 am

I JUST GOT SOME IN THE MAIL TODAY TO USE FOR THE FIRST TIME!! I will let you all know the results later.
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by besona 21st February 2010, 5:42 am

@monnie &d.denise- Ill try your ideas next time in poo. I prolly wont be for another few weeks. Thanks alot to all you ladies.
@ktoliver-good luck hopefully u get better results.
besona
besona

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 21st February 2010, 11:41 am

LOL... Well obviously I shop waaayyy to much. That was not the purchase I was looking for. I will let you all know when I do get that box.
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 22nd February 2010, 2:18 am

I had the same experience with this shampoo and Im all the way natural! I recently shampoo'd my hair for the first time in a few months and decided to try the Giovanni Tea Tree Shampoo! Now while I was washing, I absolutely loved it because it made my scalp tingle and that was pretty awesome because I felt as if my head was squeaky clean! But my strands didn't seem to like this stuff as much! I too felt as if my hair was really hard and straw like! I think I may have talked about my experience with this product on another thread...but no, you aren't the only one! I may give it another try, just to confirm! If I get the same experience, I may be shopping around for another shampoo!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by Blex 18th May 2010, 11:37 pm

I had the same problem and it also made my scalp itch like crazy!! The first time i used it, it itched but i didn't want to blame it on the shampoo, well when i used it about 2 weeks later, the same thing happened! I couldnt even sleep, it was so bad!! The Smooth as Silk shampoo doesn't do that though.
Blex
Blex

Back to top Go down

Post by Sequoia 19th May 2010, 1:29 pm

I've never tried any of the Giovanni shampoos (I'm currently using one by Avalon Organics), but I've found that I can't use shampoo straight from the bottle (even if it's sulfate-free) because it makes my hair feel like straw! So now on wash day, I dilute my shampoo (I use a small applicator bottle...I add a squirt of shampoo and fill the rest with water) and it works fine.
Sequoia
Sequoia

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 19th May 2010, 1:42 pm

You may want to try this buffer technique. It works very well!
https://www.youtube.com/user/kimmaytube?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/1/P1FQ79FD2VYing
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 19th May 2010, 6:17 pm

Giovanni shampoos are very stripping. Sulfate free does not mean that it will be a good shampoo, and the presence of sulfates does not automatically make it a harsh shampoo. I would try something different.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 19th May 2010, 7:28 pm

ITA with LaToya.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 19th May 2010, 7:38 pm

you asked how to know about protein, i think i read that words like 'strenghtens' or 'silk' or 'wheat germ' or 'amino acids' or 'panthenol' on the pacakge mean protein. maybe you're not protien sensitive; maybe it's just time to keep looking. i love my trader joe's tea tree tingle shampoo conditioner so much that i haven't even tried the trader joes nourish conditioner!!! i need to try it though i guess since i have it.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 20th May 2010, 12:47 am

I am with Heart2Worship, LaToya28 and Juices-n-Berries.

Curls makes a very gentle shampoo but the buffering technique is great when you want to use up what you have I would think.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 27th July 2010, 1:21 am

I'm laughing because I searched the forum for 'straw' after having the same weird experience...with Giovanni Tea Tree Shampoo! I use GTTTT every couple of weeks to clean my scalp and clarify my hair, but this is the first time I've experienced the straw feeling. I'm not great about remembering to pre-poo either, so it can't be that. There has to be some other reason it yields this result - maybe an interaction with something, or if you hair is too acidic or basic. I think this is a question for Natural Haven! I'll send it to her and report back if she responds.
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 27th July 2010, 7:15 am

Gado-Gado Gal wrote:I'm laughing because I searched the forum for 'straw' after having the same weird experience...with Giovanni Tea Tree Shampoo! I use GTTTT every couple of weeks to clean my scalp and clarify my hair, but this is the first time I've experienced the straw feeling. I'm not great about remembering to pre-poo either, so it can't be that. There has to be some other reason it yields this result - maybe an interaction with something, or if you hair is too acidic or basic. I think this is a question for Natural Haven! I'll send it to her and report back if she responds.

Have you tried diluting GTTTT? My hair reacts the same way to all shampoos, even SAS, unless I dilute it but adding a quarter size of shampoo to 15 oz of water in an applicator bottle. I use the Chicoro method.
HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 27th July 2010, 8:15 am

No. It has only happened to me once (just this past week), using it the same way every time for the past couple of months, so I think it's reacting to something specific to result in the straw feeling. I love what it does for my scalp, so I'm going to continue to use it. I'll try to make note of the products I used before etc. if it happens again.
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperBadd 27th July 2010, 11:21 am

ITA with Blex...the Giovanni Tea Tree Shampoo had my head itching like crazy...idk know what it was but when I washed my hair last week with Tresemme Naturals line it didn't itch...yup, its the shampoo - so its a wrap for that...

SuperBadd

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 27th July 2010, 11:37 am

I tried the Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle and its much better v
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next