CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Color Hair Results Have You Achieved With Your Henna Mixes

5 posters

Go down

What Color Hair Results Have You Achieved With Your Henna Mixes Empty What Color Hair Results Have You Achieved With Your Henna Mixes

Post by envizionj 16th February 2010, 7:49 pm

I would like to achieve a dark cherry cola color for my next henna. I presently use 100 gms Yemen and 100 gms Indigo to get "Black as a Cat" hair color. I want to go to a dark cherry cola for my gray roots next month. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thank you in advance.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by envizionj on 17th February 2010, 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

What Color Hair Results Have You Achieved With Your Henna Mixes Empty Re: What Color Hair Results Have You Achieved With Your Henna Mixes

Post by Jonezy 17th February 2010, 3:31 pm

The only color I recieve is a brown/red hue, kind of like a rinse. Nothing drastic. I use a reddish tea in my mix to aid in getting the brown red. I wouldn't even know how to go about getting a "cherry cola" that sounds nice. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what the responses are--if I could get a brighter red hue in the sun that would be cool.
Jonezy
Jonezy

http://www.bleucoiffure.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

What Color Hair Results Have You Achieved With Your Henna Mixes Empty Re: What Color Hair Results Have You Achieved With Your Henna Mixes

Post by R2D2 17th February 2010, 6:54 pm

If you want to achieve more a cherry cola tone for next time then you'd most likely achieve that by mixing the henna and indigo together and applying in one sitting, instead of applying them separately as you did the first time around. The ratio you'd have to experiment with as it depends on your natural colour, the tone of the henna etc.

Also if you want more of a reddish tone then perhaps try an Indian henna such as Rajasthani. That is more red than the Yemeni version which is copperish.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 18th February 2010, 1:54 pm

R2D2, I was looking for a mix that would eliminate indigo all together. The smell is too overpowering when mixed with water and a tablespoon of salt. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Is this the brand of Rajasthani henna you are referring to?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Vz8orz11L._SS500_.jpg
I was wondering if Jamila '09 wouldn't work just as well since I have never tried it. I want to make sure my new growth of grays will be covered.

I was looking at different sites for mixes. I checked out Sharika's site http://www.butters-n-bars.com/bundlesandadd_ins.html and she displayed a video on adding hibiscus flowers to the henna and there was no mention of indigo. I might add sorrel since I'm familiar with it and the deep red/burgundy drink you can make with it. This is sorrel http://www.jamaicamix.com/image/Sorrel.jpg
This is the drink obtained by boiling the sorrel in water, sometimes adding ginger and cinnamon. After straining add sugar to taste https://2img.net/h/i178.photobucket.com/albums/w279/cynthiaanelson/Sorreldrink.jpg

On the Henna For Hair site, I found this mixture although it includes indigo
http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/nika/
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 18th February 2010, 6:58 pm

Hi envizionj,

If you mix the indigo with henna, the smell isn't quite so overpowering compared to when you mix it on its own. One thing you might want to try is a few drops of essential oil such as rosemary oil to disguise the smell?

I started off my Henna journey using Ayur Rajasthani as pictured in your link which is a blend of henna with amla and shikakai powders but I switched to Organic 100% henna Rajasthani, which I got from an online natural shop. I had much better results and colour uptake from that. I wouldn't really recommend Ayur but its cheap and its the only brand that my local Indian groceries sell.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 20th February 2010, 4:29 pm

R2D2, what online natural site do you venture onto to obtain your henna?

I have read that mixing in essential oils may inhibit the henna from covering the gray and adhering to the strands.

I'm afraid to mix that indigo with anything. My scalp is still itching and I now have white stuff in my hair. I also have some indigo still stuck to my scalp although I've scrubbed and scrubbed. I am going to use my Suave clarifying shampoo mixed with 1 teaspoon of baking soda and let it sit for 30 minutes. I was told to do this from Clairol when I was still seeing color residue when scratching my scalp a week after applying Clairol's hair color last year. I then will use my Nizoral shampoo to stop the itching, then deep condition.

Last edited by envizionj on 21st February 2010, 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 20th February 2010, 5:40 pm

Oh dear that doesn't sound good. It might be worth trying a different brand of indigo if you are having that many problems with getting it out. I remember at first I had a similar problem with getting it to spread in my hair and getting it out at the end. It tangled my hair terribly. Changing brands seemed to resolve that problem for me.

The other thing I do is that after rinsing the indigo out under the tap, I make up a big jug of 1 bottle of cheap/unwanted conditioner and mix with warm water. Then I pour it over my hair and massage any remaining indigo and henna out. Then rinse and go on to deep conditioning. It seems to help in loosening whatever remaining particles are left in my hair. With shampoo, the advice that I've heard is to wait 24-48 hours after henna before shampooing. I think that giving your hair a good clarifying is a good idea but as henna and clarifying are both drying, I would suggest you pre-poo with oil first e.g. amla, castor or coconut oil before you clarify so that you don't end up with very dry hair.

Not sure about essential oils preventing henna from covering the grey. Lots of people say you might not get grey coverage if you don't do this, that and the other but you'll only know by trying it. For example I do not use any acid whatsoever in my mix and I still get good grey coverage. I'm about 30% grey I reckon. It's possible that dye take up might not be as good, but as to whether you notice the difference is the question. I didn't notice any difference compared to when I tried it with an acid (only once and my hair was very dry, so I didn't bother again). Don't forget also that henna is cumulative - it doesn't wash out and with every application you are putting on layer after layer onto your cuticle and deepening the stain.

Sorry I can't recommend a site for you as I live in Australia and get my supplies here. I get my henna from one place and my indigo from another even though both places sell both! It's just what works best for me.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 21st February 2010, 1:57 am

R2D2, I used the Suave clarifying shampoo mixed with 1 teaspoon of baking soda and had to wash it out after 10-15 minutes. My hair started smelling like a relaxer was in it and tingling in a few areas. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] When I rinsed out the application, I saw a little blue/black going down the shower drain. I then applied my Nizoral shampoo and let it sit in my hair for 30 minutes. I have noticed that Nizoral disappears into the hair and scalp so I then applied my conditioners right on top -- Aussie Moist mixed with Head & Shoulders for Dry Scalp Care and a tablespoon of Black Jamaican castor oil. I massaged it in and left it on for 30 minutes with my heating cap plugged in. I noticed the henna (orange color) on my conditioning cap, and when I washed my hair out there was henna running down the shower drain. I then massaged some more Aussie Moist and then rinsed. My hair was baby soft. I then applied my unrefined shea butter, unrefined coconut oil and Black Jamaican castor oil and massaged it into my scalp. I still am itching a little in some places, but not all over my head like before.

I will not be using indigo anymore. I maybe allergic to it.

I hennaed on last Saturday and then shampooed my hair on Tuesday to allow the henna to oxidize.

When I henna next time, I will probably try a tablespoon of orange juice, but since I will be using sorrel, and that is part of the hibiscus family and acidic, I may not need to use any acid .

I have been reading that some people are even using apple juice in their henna mixes. I didn't know apples had acid. Henna is truly a learning experience.
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 21st February 2010, 7:34 pm

Envizionj,

Amla powder is also another hair conditioning powder that has sometimes been used together with henna for its acidic dye release properties. Also since you want to cover greys but without indigo, it has been said that it helps to darken the red from henna as well. I notice that Sharika sells it on her Butter Bars website. It might be worth asking her about it? You won't get black but perhaps a darker red/mahogany?

Good luck! You will find your mix eventually. The first few goes is all about experimenting and finding something to work for you.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 21st February 2010, 8:04 pm

Thank you R2D2. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I will ask Sharika about the Amla.

My problem is narrowing down a regimen so I can order a batch, and cut back on this shipping and handling from only ordering a few items at a time. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by envizionj on 18th March 2010, 1:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by rnewsome 9th March 2010, 1:24 am

trying to henna my hair in two days, i still want to remain with black, not bold enough to try the colors, can anyone please help me figure out the reciepe? will be sleeping with it so time is not a factor. do i wash my hair before to remove deposits(what shampoo do you recommend), or should i just start?
items in my cabinet
honey
coconutmilk
alma oil(not powder)
henna
coffee

do i add a conditioner to the concuction or after i wake up?

help help
rnewsome
rnewsome

Back to top Go down

Post by FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c) 9th March 2010, 3:14 am

I get the chocolate cherry color heres my mix

75g Dulhan Henna(mehendi)
25g Hesh Amla
1/2 chammomile green tea

That's it and I have the most gorgeous color....love it. But my hair was medium brown before hennaing so....that may play apart as well.
HTH! cherry
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 10th March 2010, 4:01 pm

3c...finally! wrote:I get the chocolate cherry color heres my mix

75g Dulhan Henna(mehendi)
25g Hesh Amla
1/2 chammomile green tea

That's it and I have the most gorgeous color....love it. But my hair was medium brown before hennaing so....that may play apart as well.
HTH! cherry
3c, that sounds like a lovely color on a natural. Do you happen to have photos of your hair? I would love to see them. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down