CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

From Locs to Fros

+3
divadr175
tiashaunteé
hadiya
7 posters

Go down

From Locs to Fros Empty From Locs to Fros

Post by hadiya 23rd October 2009, 9:37 pm

I had locs for 10+ yrs and in June I combed them out. I've been struggling with what to do with my hair. As a result to over styling I lost a lot of the length I retained after combing my locs out. I think I finally found something that works for me. But I know there has to be others out here going through the same transitioning situation. Perhaps this can be a platform for venting or helping one another through this process. Or even talk about different techniques on how to comb out your locs and dealing with the aftermath.
hadiya
hadiya

http://sightundefined.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

From Locs to Fros Empty Re: From Locs to Fros

Post by tiashaunteé 2nd November 2009, 7:00 pm

I have always wanted locs but I love my fro. I can see myself going through the same thing if I decide to lock. I wish I could remember....but there was an article I believe in Essence a few years ago about a woman that combed out her locs and ways she took care of her hair. If I can find that article I would be sure to pass the info on to you.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hadiya 3rd November 2009, 7:35 am

oh pls do!
hadiya
hadiya

Back to top Go down

Post by divadr175 10th November 2009, 7:59 pm

I have a friend who wants to take out her locs without losing all her length. how did you do it?
divadr175
divadr175

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 10th November 2009, 11:18 pm

I looked for that article and of course unable to find it. However that article proved it can be done. Good luck with your process.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hadiya 11th November 2009, 1:27 pm

divadr175 wrote:I have a friend who wants to take out her locs without losing all her length. how did you do it?

Peace,

A lot of people do it different but this is what I found worked for me the best:

Spray bottle filled with warm water ( I hate the feeling of cold water being sprayed on me)
A lot of CHEAP condish.... I mean CHEAP!
I used a rat tail comb for knots a needle.
most of all I had extreme patience!

Let me know if you need anything else.
hadiya
hadiya

Back to top Go down

Post by rebelrocks 11th November 2009, 1:43 pm

a good friend of mine combed out her locs but eventually had to cut the locked ends because the hair was always trying to re-lock and she struggled with moisture and management.
rebelrocks
rebelrocks

Back to top Go down

Post by hadiya 12th November 2009, 7:44 am

rebelrocks wrote:a good friend of mine combed out her locs but eventually had to cut the locked ends because the hair was always trying to re-lock and she struggled with moisture and management.

Well after I combed mine out I cut a good 3-4 inches off of it. I wanted a fresh healthy start.
So, I suppose a good trim after that is needed that way your hair isn't damaged on the ends from all the abuse of combing and picking at it.
hadiya
hadiya

Back to top Go down

Post by rebelrocks 12th November 2009, 11:33 am

hadiya wrote:
rebelrocks wrote:a good friend of mine combed out her locs but eventually had to cut the locked ends because the hair was always trying to re-lock and she struggled with moisture and management.

Well after I combed mine out I cut a good 3-4 inches off of it. I wanted a fresh healthy start.
So, I suppose a good trim after that is needed that way your hair isn't damaged on the ends from all the abuse of combing and picking at it.

True say. Your hair is lovely, btw [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
rebelrocks
rebelrocks

Back to top Go down

Post by hadiya 12th November 2009, 12:09 pm

True say. Your hair is lovely, btw [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/quote]

Thanks. It is such a process figuring out what works for me with minimal/no heat and such.
I am learning my hair all over again. I have had locs for over 10+ yrs and it is super frustrating at times. I keep asking the hairs gods to bless me with more patience. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
hadiya
hadiya

Back to top Go down

Post by rebelrocks 12th November 2009, 12:17 pm

It will come, grasshopper [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] lol
i find myself tugging at my hair as if to say "hurry up and grow!"
rebelrocks
rebelrocks

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorPrincess 23rd November 2009, 1:24 pm

Wow! Hadyia. Is the hair you are rocking in your profile pic your post dread comb out? If so that looks gorgeous. I had locs off and on from 1999-2008. I had 3 batches. Here is a photo of may last batch October 2007

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Below is a photo of my post loc fro taken January 2009. This was prior to my Dominican sisters frying my stuff which resulted in my recent Big chop (March 2009). This is growth from March 2008-January 2009. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Haydia you mentioned,
I wanted a fresh healthy start.
So, I suppose a good trim after that
is needed that way your hair isn't damaged on the ends from all the
abuse of combing and picking at it

I'm very interested to see your hair as it is now for I never considered combing my locs out. That just seemed as though it would create more damage to my hair and create more drama for me in trying to get it back healthy. So I just cut mine down and started over. That way, I was assured I was getting a pure healthy start. I'm also given to cutting to the chase in my life. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .

Oh, if you or anyone is interested, I wrote a bit about my hair journey in the introduce yourself post last month or so. The profile pic of me is my recent BC done March 2009. Also, if you want I can send you a link privately to my blog where you can see some additional shots of my locs as well as of my first transition from locs to fro (March 2008) as I posed in a couple pics over the years with the love of my life--my nieces and nephews. My first big chop was in 1998. I've cut my hair so many times in between I've lost count. I think I'm done now. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Tisha on 23rd November 2009, 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Decided not to broadcast my blog)
WarriorPrincess
WarriorPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by hadiya 23rd November 2009, 3:02 pm

Hey Tisha,

I <3 your hair! I think your fro pic is awesomeness! I wish to achieve shine like that! The pic in my profile is post combing out my locs. Thanks for the compliment! Oh pls do share the link to your blog. I'd love to see more hair pics. I do the same ol' two step all the time with my hair. Perhaps I should try something new...if I am daring enough. Bc I gotta tell you experimenting on natural hair isn't always great in my case at least. My hair tangles up hella fast. Okay I am rambling.

Pls send me the link when you get a moment.
I think I covered everything mentioned above.
Pregnancy has taken my will to think!
hadiya
hadiya

Back to top Go down

Post by Pi*Jay 23rd November 2009, 3:53 pm

I did not know you could comb locs out. I thought if you got them you were stuck with them unless you shaved them off... interesting.
Pi*Jay
Pi*Jay

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorPrincess 1st May 2010, 10:51 pm

I'm just getting back to this post. I don't get on here that often. But I was going back through old photos--as I was looking for my old Glen Lewis CD--brrrrr

Anywho, I thought, wow I need to do a hair journey pictorial from my youth to now. I'm going to get started then I'lll post a link to my blog then you can see the full transformation. The current avatar was taken last week. So that is a little over a year's growth from this photo March 2009:
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
WarriorPrincess
WarriorPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by itzall4me 6th September 2010, 9:32 pm

Hey Ladies, I recently read how you combed out your hair and actually heard of someone else that did that transition and she had the same problem and ended up cutting them off completely.

I have only had my locs for about 2yrs and I hate to admit this but I miss my fro! I went with locs because I wanted to feel my hair move around and touch my neck and shoulders, which I do love, but I miss the low maintenance, so now I want to chop them off and start off with a TWA.

Is there anyone out there that has transitioned from a FRO to LOCS and back to a TWA? Could you please provide advise or suggestions to how I can start the process without messing up my hair? I would greatly appreciate it! (smile)

Love and Blessings
itzall4me
itzall4me

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down