CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP... New trasitioner!!

5 posters

Go down

HELP... New trasitioner!! Empty HELP... New trasitioner!!

Post by Mrsafro 2nd February 2010, 9:20 am

Hi everyone...

I finally decided to go natural seriously!I had my last perm in Oct 09.
This is the 3rd time I'm doing it! However I'm in dyer need of some help.

My hair is very thick and that is what usually stops me from keeping it natural. It gets so bad sometimes that I have to get both my mum and dad to comb and braid it for me.
I had to stop using olive oil because it was thinning my new growth and leavin it dry.
My hair gets dry really quickly even though I use raw shea.

I also have a another problem .. I wear weaves because the weather here doesn't do much for Afro hair types. Are there any hair products that I can use on my scalp to stop it from getting dry and itchy.

Can anyone reccommend any natural products, that u can make or buy in the UK to help this transition before I do my BC??

Thanks xx

Mrsafro

Back to top Go down

HELP... New trasitioner!! Empty Re: HELP... New trasitioner!!

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 2nd February 2010, 12:20 pm

Hi Msafro,

I used weaves during my long transition and in between cowashes I spritzed a mixture of witch hazel with peppermint and tea tree oils to relieve my itchy scalp. Definitely cowash with your install just as if you were natural. I had a curly weave during my last install so it made it easier to wash than straight hair.

If your going to use oils or butters you should apply a water based moisturizer first. I used braid sprays, Scurl activator spray and now I've used my own recipes: water, glycerin, jojoba oil/olive oil with EOs like peppermint, tea tree and sweet orange oils. You can also make a simpler spritz with water, conditioner and olive oil. The oils/butters are to seal(lock-in) the moisture.

How often do you DC and do you use shampoo or conditioner only? Definitely stop brushing your hair. Your hair should only be detangled when it's wet with conditioner. You can use a wide tooth comb or shower comb to achieve this. Sorry this was so long yet HTH. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 2nd February 2010, 12:53 pm

I have really thick hair too, and when it's dry it was almost impossible for me to comb through the middle, which was why I convinced myself that getting perms was the only way to manage my hair for the last few years. Since I've been transitioning, I only comb my hair when it's wet, other than that I only finger comb, so maybe you should try doing that for a while? I've found it's made my hair much more manageable.

Also, when I deep condition, I section it off and put castor oil on before the actual conditioner. Lately I've been leaving it in for about 2 hours which is great for moisture for me, so maybe that's something you can consider? Since I started my transition, Castor Oil is the one thing I cant' live without. LOL

I know nothing about dealing with weaves, so I can't help you there. . .

There's a list on Nappturality of oils and natural ingredients and exactly what they are supposed to do to your hair/skin. Check it out here that would probably be very helpful.
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsafro 4th February 2010, 7:27 am

Hi ... I didn't think I would get a reply so fast.
Thanks

To HAMPTONSFNST
I DC everytime i take out my weave which is usually 5-6 weeks (depending on the type of weave I put in). I use both shampoo and conditioner.

I will try your recipe for a water based moisturiser. I found that braid sprays irritated my scalp.

To MUZ
I will try and incorporate castor oil in my my routine.

I'm a student so I'm always busy studying for classes and exams, so I
tend to keep my routine really simple (the main reason for I started
putting in weaves.)

Thanks for the advise lol
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Mrsafro

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkinixnicole 4th February 2010, 10:25 pm

My advice is pretty much the same as what these ladies have been saying.

I'm currently wearing a weave (my hair does not do well out in the open with the winter air) and what I do is mix olive oil (i normally use olive oil, but since this oil doesn't work for you, you could try rosemary oil, coconut oil, carrot oil.. there's so many), leave-in conditioner, and water in a spray bottle and spray it on my roots, just to keep my situation moisturized.

In terms of combing out your hair, you should always comb it out when wet and you should try adding a leave-in conditioner prior to combing and be generous with the amount you use (this is what I do and it works!). Another tip: the less teeth on the comb, the better. My comb has like 2 teeth [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] LOL (I'm exagerrating, but you get my point)! But hey, if that's what it takes to have less breakage, I'm happy! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Avoid brushes at all costs!

Last peice of advice: get into the habit of moisturizing your hair. I promise you, your hair will love you for this. I'm currently in school too and have a hectic schedule, so I condition, oil, and moisturize at any chance I get. This pays off!

Hope this helps! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
nikkinixnicole
nikkinixnicole

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsafro 5th February 2010, 6:47 pm

Hi
this is to both Hamptonsfnst and Nikkinixnicole ...

I made two formulas one to clean my hair and one to moisturize my hair ...
Clean- light surgical spirit (just like witch hazel) tea tree oil and water
moisturize- jojoba oil, tea tree oil, leave in conditioner, water and some melted unrefined shea butter.

I was wondering how much water u use in your recipe ... I think I've added a bit too much?!

I think I might BC in June ... All this weave is takin up more tyme than I thought lol

Mrsafro

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkinixnicole 6th February 2010, 1:02 pm

Mrsafro wrote:Hi
this is to both Hamptonsfnst and Nikkinixnicole ...

I made two formulas one to clean my hair and one to moisturize my hair ...
Clean- light surgical spirit (just like witch hazel) tea tree oil and water
moisturize- jojoba oil, tea tree oil, leave in conditioner, water and some melted unrefined shea butter.

I was wondering how much water u use in your recipe ... I think I've added a bit too much?!

I think I might BC in June ... All this weave is takin up more tyme than I thought lol

I dont use alot of water at all... hmm, maybe about 2 tsps to half a cup of conditioner (I'm guessing, I don't measure at all)... Just enough so there are no issues with spraying the conditioner (tends to be thick)

Summer is the best time to BC! If I was going natural all over again, I'd do it. Back when I went natural, I didn't have the support of alot of family/friends [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and I was young (17). Noone my age was even thinking about going natural at that time, so I just constantly wore extensions, weaves, you name it! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Do what makes you happy! Keep a positive mind set and remember you're doing this for YOU [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

All the best! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
nikkinixnicole
nikkinixnicole

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsafro 7th February 2010, 11:53 am

To Nikkinixnicole

I don't know if I'm jus being impatient but I am really contemplating doing the BC soon rather that later... The two textures are getting on my nerves and it seems as though I'm neglecting my new growth.

I was wondering is it advisable to do weave once you have done the BC?

Mrsafro

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkinixnicole 7th February 2010, 2:59 pm

Mrsafro wrote:To Nikkinixnicole

I don't know if I'm jus being impatient but I am really contemplating doing the BC soon rather that later... The two textures are getting on my nerves and it seems as though I'm neglecting my new growth.

I was wondering is it advisable to do weave once you have done the BC?

Mrsafro,

It really depends on what works best for your hair. For example, I usually experience increased growth with weaves but not so much with braids, but for a friend of mine, its the complete opposite. It doesn't hurt to experiment [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . The only thing I advise is not to continuously do these types of styles, give your hair a week or two to breathe in between. The main reason I wear weaves is because my hair gets super dry in the winter, so its a way of protecting it.

The two texture thing gets really annoying though, I completely understand that. Do the BC if you feel you are ready to handle taking that step. For me, I knew I couldn't handle it when I was going natural, so I chose to cut my relaxer as new growth came in and wore extensions, weaves, twists, buns, ponytails, head scarfs in the meantime. Doing a BC is not for everyone, I know a few other naturals who chose to take the nonBC route.

Overall, just keep a positive mindset and do what makes YOU happy at the end of the day. Don't let the negative words/views of others influence any decisions you make in terms of hair. ANDDD don't go back to the creamy crack!! Fight the good fight lol (I know when I was going natural, I was tempted quite a few times to go back to relaxing)

This long-winded answer may not have helped, but I hope I've given you some things to think about [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I wish you the best of luck on your journey [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
nikkinixnicole
nikkinixnicole

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsafro 7th February 2010, 7:10 pm

Thanks .... The more long winded the less questions left to ask lol

Xx

Mrsafro

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 8th February 2010, 1:47 pm

I purchased a 2oz spray bottle from my local BSS and I add about 1oz of water when I use glycerin in my mix yet more w/o the humectant. I plan to BC in June and following that I will be wearing a partial curly weave for the summer. I do not like to do my hair when it's warm. This method has helped me during my first year of transitioning.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by linzdtweety 17th February 2010, 3:07 pm

I am so happy I found this thread because I want to get rid of the relaxer in my hair. In order to transition, I would really like to just wear a weave because my natural texture is SUPER thick and everything else except curly! lol. For those of you who wore weaves to transition, HOW OFTEN DID YOU WASH YOUR HAIR? DID YOU ONLY WASH IT WHEN YOU TOOK IT OUT THE WEAVE (and I guess just keep the roots moisturized in between)?

linzdtweety

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsafro 19th February 2010, 7:40 am

@ Linzdtweety

yh I washed my hair wen I took out the weave and DC it ... Then I wud do another weave style.

Xx

Mrsafro

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 19th February 2010, 11:53 am

I think I washed my hair once a week or every two weeks. I cowashed and I did a baking soda rinse monthly to clarify. When I wore straight weaves I would only wear that for 6 wks and then get it redone yet with the curlier install I wore that from Labor Day weekend until nearly Thanksgivin in 09. I definitely tightented the tracks in between those months. I washed my hair more often with the curly weave.

HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down