CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair Type?

+3
Haysbaby
tiashaunteé
loveself247
7 posters

Go down

Hair Type? Empty Hair Type?

Post by loveself247 3rd November 2009, 4:33 pm

Ok ladies I keep seeing where you guys talk about your hair type being 3A, 4A etc. What does that mean and how can I come to learn what my hair type is?

]

Last edited by loveself247 on 5th November 2009, 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Hair Type? Empty Re: Hair Type?

Post by tiashaunteé 3rd November 2009, 4:49 pm

I have no idea, but I type it "beautiful." I love your hair

I never really got into hair typing, my head is too mixed up and it confuses me
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 3rd November 2009, 4:53 pm

lol!!!!!!! thank you!!! I love your hair to girl. I saw you pic on your night out in that blue dress with those out of control shoes, you were doing your thang!!!!!!!!

I hate my hair because I still have ALOT of relaxer in it
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by Haysbaby 3rd November 2009, 6:44 pm

I dont know hair type either!!! I have the same question let me find a close up pic of my hair! I too think your hair is BEAUTIFUL!!! Are you doing Twist n curl!! That style ABSOLUTELY does NOT work on my hair! LOL Possibly Im taking it out wrong or something! My hair comes out a mess! LOL EVERYTIME
Haysbaby
Haysbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 3rd November 2009, 6:54 pm

haysbaby Thanks for the compliment chica,,,,,and I do bantu Knots. I just washed my hair an hour ago and I left in "Garnier Fructis" sleek and shine conditioner and I applied unrefined organic coconut oil. I combed it and now I am letting it air dry. I do my bantu knots when my hair is dry and I moisten the ends with a bit of water, and coconut oil. I wake up and I untwist them and pull them back into a wild pony tail like in my picture. Keep trying the Two Strand Twist and try the Bantu Knots because I am finding that practice makes perfect. Search Bantu Knots on Youtube because they have alot of tutorials!!

Good luck!
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlySpeechTherapist 3rd November 2009, 7:42 pm

You won't be able to truly tell until the relaxed hair is gone and you wash and let it dry natural with no product/manipulation... If you do bantu knots, the results are not your hair type because of the process. Very pretty, though!! Keep posting updates on your transition!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
CurlySpeechTherapist
CurlySpeechTherapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Haysbaby 3rd November 2009, 10:20 pm

Thanks!!! I've done the Bantu knots before it came out ok but ur hair is wonderful!!! I did the 2 strand last night again it wasn't what I wanted so I am going to try the knots tonight on my dry hair! Keep those pics coming!!! I am new to the natural process! Before when relaxing I only did about 2 per year anyway but I got to the point where I don't even see the point of that and just wanna be free!!
Haysbaby
Haysbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 3rd November 2009, 10:37 pm

Thank you.
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by Curl-a-licious 5th November 2009, 3:25 pm

Hair type is how your hair curls. if its tightly curled or if its loosely curled. But its when you get out the shower and define your curl. A ot of people have alot of different curls like me. For example, I have tight curls on the back half of my hair that makes it a bit difficult to comb through but comb-able curls on the top half. You can google the types and see pictures of them. I think Its all about maintaining your hair, and making sure it is in the best condition possible Smile
Curl-a-licious
Curl-a-licious

http://beyond-the-epidermis.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by nmoultry 12th November 2009, 11:39 am

I've never gotten into the whole hair typing thing either but I read a question and answer thread where the natural sista wanted to know what products should she use on 4b hair to obtain a nice wet set. The expert responded and said that 4b hair will not retain the curl effectively and she would probably have to use a flat iron to achieve the look she was seeking....All I could say was WOW,,,,,,and thinking to myself how that defeats the purpose altogether

Thoughts??

nmoultry

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 12th November 2009, 11:42 am

@nmoultry. I feel you gurly. I gave up trying to entertain the whole "Hair Type" thing. For one, it's too soon for me to tell because I am still transitioning. Hair type for me is just good old healthy, thick, long hair. I will take that Hair Type anyday.
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by ishmaygrandchild 12th November 2009, 12:00 pm

At any given time I've got fifty'leven different textures on my head, I've never hair typed my hair. Everyone's hair is different, even if you put yourself in a category, what works for the category may not work for you which defeats the purpose IMO.
I think you can use hair typing as a guideline but not verbatim until you learn what works.
ishmaygrandchild
ishmaygrandchild

Back to top Go down

Post by nmoultry 12th November 2009, 12:16 pm

ishmaygrandchild wrote:At any given time I've got fifty'leven different textures on my head, I've never hair typed my hair. Everyone's hair is different, even if you put yourself in a category, what works for the category may not work for you which defeats the purpose IMO.
I think you can use hair typing as a guideline but not verbatim until you learn what works.

I totally agree. I read that thread and couldn't believe the advice the alleged expert gave in response to a natural wanting to wet set her hair. I always thought all hair can be set no matter what, it's just trial and error.

nmoultry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down