CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help! Oil Rinse Gone Bad!!

4 posters

Go down

Help! Oil Rinse Gone Bad!! Empty Help! Oil Rinse Gone Bad!!

Post by Veela 20th January 2010, 10:09 am

Hi Guys,
I have been wearing my hair in a flat ironed style for almost 2 weeks. This was the first time I had it professionally flat ironed or wore it straight since 11-2008. I was so nervous of possible heat damage that when I washed it out, I wanted to do everything utterly possible to re-hydrate and treat my hair. I did my first steam treatment using Jessicurl WDT and Aubrey organics with the 2 towel and 2 plastic cap method. After I rinsed that out, I proceeded to do a oil rinse with Olive and Cocunut oil. The then left in Devacare one and did some chunky two strand twists all over. Well...this morning my hair wasn't dry. I used my diffuser slightly in the wet spots.

The problem... my hair is extremely oily. Extremely. If I barely touch it, I have to go wipe the oils off of my hands. I don't like not being able to touch my hair. This can't be good.

It maybe partially to blame because I did my hair in the sink for the first time since I've been natural. I knew I was going to do the steam treatment and I didn't want to keep hopping in and out of the shower. I feel that may have something to do with my hair not being rinse thoroughly enough?? Other than that, I would like to know from you other ladies that have tried the oil rinse, what kinds of oil did you use and what were your results? And how did you keep it from being too oily? How oily should it really be?

Please help...
Veela
Veela

Back to top Go down

Help! Oil Rinse Gone Bad!! Empty Re: Help! Oil Rinse Gone Bad!!

Post by NhappyJackie 20th January 2010, 12:34 pm

I may be totally wrong here, but I remember an encounter I had with my relaxed hair. My hair was so dry it looked dull, llifeless and full of frizz, my styles only held for about 12hrs. I did a hot oil treatment and when I rinsed it out my hair was super oily just like yours. It seemed like, since my hair was finally getting some moisture it grabbed on to all that it could get and would not let go. I washed my hair again a couple days later and that helped get rid of the excess oil. So maybe you should do a co-wash, and ruin those twist...sorry. Use warm water and finish with cool water.
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 20th January 2010, 12:36 pm

Did you rinse out the oil? The step with the conditioner and then rinsing removes the excess oil-you don't want to apply the oil and leave it in. That causes a mess.
In the winter I do my hair in the sink 98% of the time without a problem. Well, it's starting to go down the drain and that's gross so I will either have to stop because of my length or get DH to buy my a deeper sink, lol. Also, I never DC and oil rinse- I do one or the other.
How I do an oil rinse
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Veela 20th January 2010, 12:54 pm

Ok. I call myself rinsing well, but I had hair everywhere in the kitchen sink, and I'm tall (5'9). I'm thinking I just didn't rinse good enough. I used the sink sprayer? Maybe I did too much, the deep treatment and oil rinse on the same day. I'm going to co-wash today as soon as I get off, In the shower!. I'll just consider my hairdo today as an all day oil treatment? lol.. Trial and error. Thanks for the feedback ladies.

Also, Tia, when u do your oil rinse, do u just rinse with water or conditioner?
Veela
Veela

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 20th January 2010, 12:57 pm

I rinse with conditioner under running water. The sprayer didn't work because the constant flow of water helps with runoff. I read this tip the other day and I thought it was awesome "When you are rinsing and you think you are done...that is when the rinsing starts-keep going"
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Veela 20th January 2010, 1:45 pm

wow, I will definitely be trying it again. After I was done, I did feel like I'd missed a step, but I couldn't find the original post. Anyway, a lesson well learned, but I definitely want to make it a staple.

Thx!
Veela
Veela

Back to top Go down

Post by Girlie06 21st January 2010, 12:40 am

I'm no hair guru for sure but from what I read, it sounds like you sealed you hair and maybe that along with the conditioners you used and rinsed out added cones. Maybe you can do a mild clarify with baking soda and see if that helps

Girlie06

Back to top Go down

Post by Veela 21st January 2010, 1:11 pm

Thanks Girlie.. Very Happy
Veela
Veela

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down