CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can you leave conditioner in?

+6
immacurlie
BlondeByDesire
dajewel
sweetdrk1
Erica5417
pfarley
10 posters

Go down

Can you leave conditioner in? Empty Can you leave conditioner in?

Post by pfarley 9th January 2010, 6:58 pm

I'm a new transitioner. My hair is very thick, dry and coarse. I have noticed that when I leave my conditioner in. I love the way my hair feels.

I want to leave the conditioner in - all day. Is this ok? It's not a leave in conditioner, it's regular conditioner. Is there any reason that it would damage my hair? I basically wash it out the next morning and do it all over again.

One of my major concerns that I have is that, compared to the rest of my hair, my edges get very dry. But, I don't know if it's because of the conditioner or not. I spritz my edges with water and put more conditioner on it probably 3-4 times a day to keep it moisturized and I seal with either JBCO or Shea Butter, but after about an hour or so, it feels really dry again.

What advice or knowledge would you give me? Any recommendations for keeping my edges super moisturized?

Thank you
pfarley
pfarley

http://www.allthingscouponing.com

Back to top Go down

Can you leave conditioner in? Empty Re: Can you leave conditioner in?

Post by Erica5417 9th January 2010, 7:02 pm

Many of us leave conditioners in our hair. I use Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat as a leave-in all the time. For me, shea butter and Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter help maintain moisture (used in addition to conditioner and oils). HTH!
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 9th January 2010, 7:05 pm

Also, it may be good to post your current regimen to make sure you're not using drying products.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 9th January 2010, 7:10 pm

oh I never leave the house with naked hair. ALWAYS have conditoner in...and what Erica says it so very true. Post your products somethng you are using may be the devil!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by pfarley 10th January 2010, 11:18 am

Thanks gals for the feedback.

Here is my regimen:
- I use either Pantene Relaxed and Natural, GVP Matrix Conditioning Balm, or Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner (just whichever one I grab) & I seal with Jamaican Black Castor Oil or Organic Root Stimulator Shea Butter Hair Softening Lotion.
Every other day I rinse the conditioner out of my hair and put more in.

- After putting conditioner in my hair, I put my hair in a high, loose ponytail (no tension).

- The hair inside my ponytail stays very moist. So pretty much my focus is on the outside of the ponytail. 3-4 times a day, I spritz with water (paying special attention to my edges) and put on more conditioner and seal again.

*Conditioner stays in my hair at all times. I do not use a leave-in conditioner.

- Once/month I shampoo with Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Shampoo to rid of product buildup.

- I always wear my satin bonnet anytime I lay down. (My bonnet is completely satin, no rubber around the edges.)

My hair is protein sensitive so I try to choose products that are protein-free. And now that I know that conditioning is not the problem, I guess my major concern is why my edges get very dry compared to the rest of my hair.

*Note: My edges have always caused me problems, even before I decided to transition. They've been damaged due to heat, relaxers and neglect. I had split ends almost all the way to the root, so I cut them off completely. I've noticed that they are growing, but they're as dry as the Sahara Desert!

Last edited by pfarley on 10th January 2010, 12:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
pfarley
pfarley

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 10th January 2010, 11:43 am

i am noticing that your regimen does not include deep conditioning. dc can and will make a difference. you can do it after co-washing or shampooing. i use evco/evoo mix as my dc.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 10th January 2010, 11:52 am

You can also DC on dry hair too. I've just started to incorporate honey into my DC - recommened by Blondie. I do overnight DC - then rinse and proceed with a co-wash.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by pfarley 10th January 2010, 11:58 am

dajewel wrote:i am noticing that your regimen does not include deep conditioning. dc can and will make a difference. you can do it after co-washing or shampooing. i use evco/evoo mix as my dc.
I was thinking that by my leaving the conditioner in my hair that counted as like a daily dc?
pfarley
pfarley

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 10th January 2010, 12:12 pm

leave-ins are usually formulated to be thinner with lesser condish action than dc to be compatible with daily wear and tear and use with other products. as such, a leave-in is good daily condish. i dilute giovanni and use it as a leave-in. but you will get more/better condish action if you dc, so much so that you wouldn't have to rely on a leave-in as much.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by pfarley 10th January 2010, 12:21 pm

dajewel wrote:leave-ins are usually formulated to be thinner with lesser condish action than dc to be compatible with daily wear and tear and use with other products. as such, a leave-in is good daily condish. i dilute giovanni and use it as a leave-in. but you will get more/better condish action if you dc, so much so that you wouldn't have to rely on a leave-in as much.
I don't use a leave-in at all. I keep regular conditioner in my hair.
pfarley
pfarley

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 10th January 2010, 12:33 pm

you can also use a regular conditioner in the hair, too. you may have to dilute with water because regular conditioners are formulated to be thicker than leave-ins. but honestly, i really think you should dc first, see how your hair behaves and then use a leave-in as appropriately. the key to adding and maintaining moisture is to adding moisture at each stage of your regimen. your hair will be more receptive to the moisture when you dc because your cuticles are open after you co-wash/shampoo. you will see a world of difference when you dc.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by immacurlie 13th January 2010, 11:08 pm

pfarley wrote:I'm a new transitioner. My hair is very thick, dry and coarse. I have noticed that when I leave my conditioner in. I love the way my hair feels.

I want to leave the conditioner in - all day. Is this ok? It's not a leave in conditioner, it's regular conditioner. Is there any reason that it would damage my hair? I basically wash it out the next morning and do it all over again.

One of my major concerns that I have is that, compared to the rest of my hair, my edges get very dry. But, I don't know if it's because of the conditioner or not. I spritz my edges with water and put more conditioner on it probably 3-4 times a day to keep it moisturized and I seal with either JBCO or Shea Butter, but after about an hour or so, it feels really dry again.

What advice or knowledge would you give me? Any recommendations for keeping my edges super moisturized?

Thank you
You could check out this website: http://www.tightlycurly.com/welcome/
immacurlie
immacurlie

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 13th January 2010, 11:28 pm

pfarley wrote:
dajewel wrote:i am noticing that your regimen does not include deep conditioning. dc can and will make a difference. you can do it after co-washing or shampooing. i use evco/evoo mix as my dc.
I was thinking that by my leaving the conditioner in my hair that counted as like a daily dc?

you get the best effects of DT when you cover your hair with a plastic cap and sit under the dryer or wrap your hair with something else to trap the body heat. The heat opens your hair cuticles and allows your deep conditioner to really penetrate and moisturize which is somewhat different than letting conditioner sit in all day and letting the other elements affect your tresses. And after you DC rinse with cool or cold water to close the cuticle... try that and see if that works. And that olive oil/coconut oil DC is the business! Hope this helps! Also if you always wear your hair in a ponytail that hair is always exposed to the air, the weather, manipulation, etc. so maybe you could try something else when you get home? that way that hair gets a break...
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 14th January 2010, 11:27 am

d.denise wrote:
pfarley wrote:

you get the best effects of DT when you cover your hair with a plastic cap and sit under the dryer or wrap your hair with something else to trap the body heat. The heat opens your hair cuticles and allows your deep conditioner to really penetrate and moisturize which is somewhat different than letting conditioner sit in all day and letting the other elements affect your tresses. And after you DC rinse with cool or cold water to close the cuticle... try that and see if that works. And that olive oil/coconut oil DC is the business! Hope this helps! Also if you always wear your hair in a ponytail that hair is always exposed to the air, the weather, manipulation, etc. so maybe you could try something else when you get home? that way that hair gets a break...
This is a great way of explaining it. With DC and heat, our hair takes in what it needs--great point. Rinsing with cold water is the business for me [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . My hair feels, should I say it, silky afterward-crazy huh?! I need to revisit EVOO and EVCO.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 14th January 2010, 12:23 pm

EVOO and EVCO as a DC is the TRUTH!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Moni 17th January 2010, 1:27 pm

pfarley wrote:Thanks gals for the feedback.

Here is my regimen:
- I use either Pantene Relaxed and Natural, GVP Matrix Conditioning Balm, or Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner (just whichever one I grab) & I seal with Jamaican Black Castor Oil or Organic Root Stimulator Shea Butter Hair Softening Lotion.
Every other day I rinse the conditioner out of my hair and put more in.

- After putting conditioner in my hair, I put my hair in a high, loose ponytail (no tension).

- The hair inside my ponytail stays very moist. So pretty much my focus is on the outside of the ponytail. 3-4 times a day, I spritz with water (paying special attention to my edges) and put on more conditioner and seal again.

*Conditioner stays in my hair at all times. I do not use a leave-in conditioner.

- Once/month I shampoo with Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Shampoo to rid of product buildup.

- I always wear my satin bonnet anytime I lay down. (My bonnet is completely satin, no rubber around the edges.)

My hair is protein sensitive so I try to choose products that are protein-free. And now that I know that conditioning is not the problem, I guess my major concern is why my edges get very dry compared to the rest of my hair.

*Note: My edges have always caused me problems, even before I decided to transition. They've been damaged due to heat, relaxers and neglect. I had split ends almost all the way to the root, so I cut them off completely. I've noticed that they are growing, but they're as dry as the Sahara Desert!

TJ Nourish Spa has a small amount of protein, so if you're using it almost every day it may be drying out your protein sensitive hair. Also, you may might want to try using a heavier moisturizer for your edges. It would be a lot easier for you to invest in a good moisturizer that you use daily (at most) instead of having to reapply several times a day. Imo, if you have to reapply anything several times a day, your hair is telling you that it's just not working.
Moni
Moni

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down