CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shea butter- a great skin product!!

+13
neethair
R2D2
KeetaRay
transitioning?
Chinita07
TaSiaJaY
Juices-n-Berries
RissaRae
tsa919
MrsPeaceLily
Intelligentbeauty
tiashaunteé
Babs2009
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Shea butter- a great skin product!! Empty Shea butter- a great skin product!!

Post by Babs2009 31st December 2009, 1:41 am

So I've noticed the large amounts of naturals here that love shea butter for their hair [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] , but does anyone use it on their skin? Particularly the face?

I use it on my face every night after I get out the shower. I have two different kinds of shea butter I alternate between at night. One is pure raw shea butter, and the other is shea butter/olive oil/coconut oil mixture. It's greasy at first but in the morning I wake up to super smooth, super creamy skin.

In the morning after my shower (yea I'm a clean-a-holic, LOL), I use emu oil or jojoba oil which soaks in after like 5 min. To cleanse my skin I use original noxzema face cleanser.

I've been doing this routine for a year now (along with good eating, lots and loooootttsss of water, exercise), and it has not failed me. No acne, no scars, etc. AND it's been so nice to my wallet, that I can buy more hair products. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now that I am 26, I'm doing whatever I can to slow down any aging that may occur, LOL.

Babs2009

Back to top Go down

Shea butter- a great skin product!! Empty Re: Shea butter- a great skin product!!

Post by tiashaunteé 31st December 2009, 2:29 am

I use shea butter on my face every night. I found that I can't used my whipped shea on my face but only when it's 100%. I love it.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Shea butter- a great skin product!! Empty Re: Shea butter- a great skin product!!

Post by Intelligentbeauty 2nd January 2010, 4:24 am

I actually started to use my whipped shea for my face. I love it!!!
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsPeaceLily 11th January 2010, 12:09 am

I started using it on my body about two weeks ago. I mixed my shea butter with evoo, jojoba oil and coconut oil. Within the first week the texture of my stretch marks has changed. Before, when I rub my hands along my belly I could feel each one because they were raised up. Now I don't feel them only see them. And it's only been two weeks. My children are 10 and 7. So for them to fade now, I am hooked. I just ordered some more shea butter from butter-n-bars. I didn't want to run out.

I was afraid to use the shea butter on my face because I have acne prone skin. I began using the mixture on my face a few days ago. I noticed the next morning when I woke up my skin was so soft and had a glow to it. I have not broken out. So I will continue to use it.

MrsPeaceLily

Back to top Go down

Post by tsa919 11th January 2010, 9:29 pm

Is the yellowish one from ghana good to use on the face? SHould I trythe whipped one? The yellowish one is thick! WHich whipped one would you all recommend?
tsa919
tsa919

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 11th January 2010, 9:31 pm

tsa919 wrote:Is the yellowish one from ghana good to use on the face? SHould I trythe whipped one? The yellowish one is thick! WHich whipped one would you all recommend?

It depends on your skin. For instance, my face is picky so I can't use the whipped on my face because I breakout. However, my husband can use the whipped shea on his face. I use the whipped shea on my body and the pure shea on my face.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by tsa919 18th January 2010, 1:39 pm

WHich whipped one do u suggest? ANd where do u buy it?
tsa919
tsa919

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 18th January 2010, 8:16 pm

Unfortunately, I can't suggest a whipped shea to buy because I make mine. I am sure there is someone out there selling it.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by RissaRae 4th February 2010, 5:10 pm

tiashauntee wrote:Unfortunately, I can't suggest a whipped shea to buy because I make mine. I am sure there is someone out there selling it.

Hi Tiashauntee! How do you make your whipped shea? I'm researching shea butter and have found that there are several ways to make all sorts of concoctions. So many options (sigh)! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
RissaRae
RissaRae

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 4th February 2010, 5:15 pm

Cori'sMommy wrote:
tiashauntee wrote:Unfortunately, I can't suggest a whipped shea to buy because I make mine. I am sure there is someone out there selling it.

Hi Tiashauntee! How do you make your whipped shea? I'm researching shea butter and have found that there are several ways to make all sorts of concoctions. So many options (sigh)! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I did the same thing...research. Then I just started throwing ingredients (oils) in with the shea. I don't have a recipe written down I typically just use what I have.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 5th February 2010, 10:54 pm

I use unrefined shea butter on my face daily. It's not greasy for me because my skin is already dry. It's working wonders! I love it!
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by TaSiaJaY 5th February 2010, 11:48 pm

I love using Shea Butter on my skin, I actually have been using it on my skin way before my bc. I love the way it makes my skin so soft...its so good that I have not gone back to using my staple of cocoa butter!....lol.....Shea Butter the Miracle Cream....hahahah
TaSiaJaY
TaSiaJaY

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinita07 6th February 2010, 4:51 pm

I loooove shea butter for my face! Initially i was scared to try it because i have VERY oily, VERY sensitive, VERY acne prone skin w/ scars & it seemed so greasy! But my jar said it was good for acne as well as wrinkles so i tried it and...VOILA!!! I'm hooked! I cant even explain how it works and it IS greasy at first so i usually only use it at night, but...i rub it in and my face looks like an oil slick (even if i only use a teeny amount!) but when i wake up...it is GLOWING!!! And my zits are almost completely GONE!!! after one application!!!

Interestingly enough, I just read an Elle Interview w/ Amber Rose (Kanye's gf) who says that she uses 100 % raw shea which she buys from the street vender!!! Love her or hate her, this girl has THE MOST BEAUTIFUL, GLOWING SKIN I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! And i have long wondered what she used! Aside from good genes...it makes sense to me now that she uses shea b/c her skin literally GLOWS 24/7 & while my skin is not as clear/flawless as hers, shea is the ONLY product that has ever made my skin actually GLOW! I'm hooked for life!!!

Elle Interview
Chinita07
Chinita07

Back to top Go down

Post by RissaRae 6th February 2010, 6:25 pm

@ Tia thanks for the tip! I'll keep on with my research!
RissaRae
RissaRae

Back to top Go down

Post by transitioning? 6th February 2010, 8:41 pm

I use raw shea butter that I aslo buy off the street vender (lol) but, the smell bothers me. I would like to mix it with an aromatic essential oil but I'm not sure what proportions I should use for my mix. I know that if you use to much it can be dangerous.
transitioning?
transitioning?

Back to top Go down

Post by KeetaRay 7th February 2010, 12:18 am

I have used raw unrefined shea butter on my body before, but have yet to try it on my face. I may try tonight Smile Thanks for the tip(s), ladies!
KeetaRay
KeetaRay

http://keetaray.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 8th February 2010, 12:48 am

Chinita07 wrote:I loooove shea butter for my face! Initially i was scared to try it because i have VERY oily, VERY sensitive, VERY acne prone skin w/ scars & it seemed so greasy! But my jar said it was good for acne as well as wrinkles so i tried it and...VOILA!!! I'm hooked! I cant even explain how it works and it IS greasy at first so i usually only use it at night, but...i rub it in and my face looks like an oil slick (even if i only use a teeny amount!) but when i wake up...it is GLOWING!!! And my zits are almost completely GONE!!! after one application!!!

Okay, you've sold me. I'm not keen on the greasy feel but I will give this a go tonight. I have a shea butter/coconut oil/olive oil pomode that I made for my hair but have stopped using as it gave me too much build up. I do use it on my feet though to deal with the dryness and heel cracking.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by neethair 8th February 2010, 9:08 pm

Chinita07 wrote:I loooove shea butter for my face! Initially i was scared to try it because i have VERY oily, VERY sensitive, VERY acne prone skin w/ scars & it seemed so greasy! But my jar said it was good for acne as well as wrinkles so i tried it and...VOILA!!! I'm hooked! I cant even explain how it works and it IS greasy at first so i usually only use it at night, but...i rub it in and my face looks like an oil slick (even if i only use a teeny amount!) but when i wake up...it is GLOWING!!! And my zits are almost completely GONE!!! after one application!!!

Interestingly enough, I just read an Elle Interview w/ Amber Rose (Kanye's gf) who says that she uses 100 % raw shea which she buys from the street vender!!! Love her or hate her, this girl has THE MOST BEAUTIFUL, GLOWING SKIN I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! And i have long wondered what she used! Aside from good genes...it makes sense to me now that she uses shea b/c her skin literally GLOWS 24/7 & while my skin is not as clear/flawless as hers, shea is the ONLY product that has ever made my skin actually GLOW! I'm hooked for life!!!

Elle Interview

Chinita- what product(s) do you use on use face to clean it. I have really oil, sensitive, acne prone skin as well. I am going to try the shea butter.
neethair
neethair

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinita07 9th February 2010, 11:24 pm

neethair wrote:

Elle Interview

Chinita- what product(s) do you use on use face to clean it. I have really oil, sensitive, acne prone skin as well. I am going to try the shea butter.

I actually use the OCM (Oil Cleansing Method) to wash my face!!! If you're not sure what this is, you can google it, or there may already be a thread on it in this forum, & i remember Nikki posting an interview on her blog w/ someone who does this. Basically, you mix your own concoction of oil, w/ a moisturizing oil such as Olive or Jojoba w/ a purifying oil like Castor. Massage this into your face for a few minutes & you can literally feel it drawing the gunk out of your pores! Next, take a steaming hot washcloth and place it over your face till it cools...this creates a steaming effect and absorbs the oil. Repeat this step a few more times, then the last time rub your face w/ the cloth.

As i mentioned before, I have quite possibly the most sensitive, oily, problem skin on the planet and this is the ONLY face wash that works for me and i have tried literally EVERYTHING!!!

Most people do 2 parts Olive to 1 part Castor, but usually I do a 50/50 mix because the 2/1 ratio is too much moisturizing oil for my oily skin. Hope to help and good luck! Very Happy
Chinita07
Chinita07

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinita07 9th February 2010, 11:28 pm

R2D2 wrote:

Okay, you've sold me. I'm not keen on the greasy feel but I will give this a go tonight. I have a shea butter/coconut oil/olive oil pomode that I made for my hair but have stopped using as it gave me too much build up. I do use it on my feet though to deal with the dryness and heel cracking.

You really should try it! And give it a few days before you decide if you do or dont like it! I cant use shea on my hair either, it is much too heavy for it. And i did stop using it on my skin b/c i thought it was too greasy, but after i stopped using it i noticed how dull and unbalanced and dry my skin got...as soon as i started using it on my face again, it began to improve! Good luck! Very Happy
Chinita07
Chinita07

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 11th February 2010, 10:44 pm

Chinita07 wrote:
You really should try it! And give it a few days before you decide if you do or dont like it! I cant use shea on my hair either, it is much too heavy for it. And i did stop using it on my skin b/c i thought it was too greasy, but after i stopped using it i noticed how dull and unbalanced and dry my skin got...as soon as i started using it on my face again, it began to improve! Good luck! Very Happy

I've been trying it for about 3 night up to now and it does seem that my skin is liking it so far. It's difficult to explain but it just seems a bit more settled and happier looking. I'd had quite a few pimples lately and the blemishes that they had left behind seem to have cleared up.

I will give it a go for another few weeks though before I make my final conclusions. I seem to get pimples around the time of my period, so it could be that my skin is looking better because it's not that time of month and because I'm peering more often into the mirror! I'm naturally a bit of a skeptic. If this thread is still going in a month I will report back. I have to say I'm tolerating have a greasy face at night more than I thought I would.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinita07 12th February 2010, 6:41 am

good! I'm glad it seems to be working! But yes, I am a skeptic too, so i would definitely give it a month or so before you draw a final coinclusion! I hope it continues to work for you, because although i still do get pimples, they are nowhere near as bad as before and they clear up so much faster and i believe they are more stress related for me than due to anything else. Of course i dont necessarily believe that there is any one "miracle product" that will work 100% of the time for everyone, so I'm not saying shea or the OCM is guaranteed to work for everyone, but honestly, for me, after years of struggling with extremely troubled skin and trying every product on the market, this has worked better than anything else. And it's 100% natural w/ no chemicals, so what do you really have to lose?! I say give it a try, it just may work for ya! Very Happy
Chinita07
Chinita07

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 12th February 2010, 11:52 am

I have started mixing my Shea Butter and Aveeno lotion together and so far I like how well they work on my face. But this has only been a week so I have to give it more time to get a true result. My skin looks dewy and feels soft all day. I love it!
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 12th February 2010, 10:21 pm

@Chinita,

Do you also use the OCM with the shea butter as well? Do you start off by cleansing with the oils and then when that is wiped clean and your face is dry you then apply the shea butter before bed?

After reading through the other thread I thought I might give it a try as well.

Thanks for your help!
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinita07 14th February 2010, 5:35 pm

R2D2 wrote:@Chinita,

Do you also use the OCM with the shea butter as well? Do you start off by cleansing with the oils and then when that is wiped clean and your face is dry you then apply the shea butter before bed?

After reading through the other thread I thought I might give it a try as well.

Thanks for your help!

Yes, this is exactly how i do it. I wash my face w/ the OCM, then apply Shea Butter...i know it may seem like a lot of oils, but honestly this is the only thing that works for me. And since i use 50% castor oil w/ 50% olive, it cleanses my face and strips the oil out of my pores and doesnt leave my face greasy, if anything, it leaves it a little dry (after i've steamed it/wiped it off) so i HAVE to moisturize w/ the shea!
Chinita07
Chinita07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next