CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP! I THINK MY HAIR IS BREAKING !

+2
blondie
LoveBird
6 posters

Go down

HELP! I THINK MY HAIR IS BREAKING ! Empty HELP! I THINK MY HAIR IS BREAKING !

Post by LoveBird 29th December 2009, 3:33 am

ok whats the diff b/w shedding and breaking?
but i think my hair is breaking and i dont know what to do [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . i do my best keeping it moisturized w/ either jojoba or coconut oil. im back east right and i think maybe this cold air is reaking havoc on my hair. no matter what i do i feel like my hair wont stay moisturized. i dont know... anyone have any advice. PLEASE!!!!!

LoveBird

Back to top Go down

HELP! I THINK MY HAIR IS BREAKING ! Empty Re: HELP! I THINK MY HAIR IS BREAKING !

Post by blondie 29th December 2009, 4:24 am

Shedding is when the whole strand comes out (you'll see a little bulb on the end). Shedding (not excessive) is natural. Breaking is when pieces break off. That's what you don't want to see.

It could me many things, for example your protein/moisture balance may be off. What is your hair care routine, the products you use, also..when did you first notice this and what was the condition of your hair before you noticed the breaking?
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

HELP! I THINK MY HAIR IS BREAKING ! Empty Re: HELP! I THINK MY HAIR IS BREAKING !

Post by LoveBird 30th December 2009, 1:55 am

hey blondie
i co-wash my hair once a week w/ tea tree and/or suave cocnut & deep co w/ coconut milk conditioner. leave-in co is garnier fructise sleek & shine, then i moisturize w/ either coconut oil or jojoba oil. i just started to notice the breaking a few days ago. i live los angeles but im back east for the holidays where its COLD COLD COLD LOL! the condition of my hair wash unwashed and prob for the last 2 days i have moistureized as much as i should be, that's prob my problem. but i washed it today & moisturized so hopefully that will help?

LoveBird

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 30th December 2009, 3:03 am

The products you are using contain silicones, which is basically like Saran Wrap the hair. It blocks moisture from reaching the hair, so your hair isn't getting the moisture it needs.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by LoveBird 30th December 2009, 3:05 am

what do you suggestg i use?

LoveBird

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 30th December 2009, 3:17 am

First you need to clarify to remove the silicone buildup (giovanni's organics has a good one). Giovanni's Organics, Aubrey's Organics, and Burt's Bees are some good lines that you can get at drug stores/health food stores. I personally prefer Giovanni's Organics.

After clarifying with the clarifying/hydrating shampoo, you can condition (& later cowash) with the calming/hydrating conditioner. The line also has spritz, leave in conditioner, gels, etc. I know that Target carries the entire line.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by LoveBird 30th December 2009, 1:08 pm

ok so giovanni's clarifying/ hydrating shampoo/co. i saw aubrey's @ whole foods but it is way to expensive. i havent checked out burt's bees. is there a particular BB's that i should try or just any of them? thank you.

LoveBird

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 30th December 2009, 1:21 pm

i would like to say that not all silicones are bad because some are water soluble and thus, easily evaporate/washable than other heavier silicones. and some cones are good as heat protectants when used to heat style. regardless, if you are co-washing with a product that has cones, you need to clarify/shampoo more often than those that don't use products with cones. some curlies do well with cones, and some don't. regardless, i co-sign with blondie that you just need to remove cone build-up, and kinda "start over".
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 30th December 2009, 1:27 pm

Dajewel is correct. Dimethicone is a very popular silicone and, if I'm not mistaken, one of the silicones used in the products LoveBird is currently using. Dimethicone is non-water soluable, hence the clarifying shampoo.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 30th December 2009, 1:57 pm

The Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit and Beet work really well and my bottles have lasted a long time (especially the shampoo).
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 30th December 2009, 2:14 pm

I really like Burt's Bees too. I like using their conditioners as cowashes and leave ins.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by LoveBird 30th December 2009, 4:21 pm

so which "cones" & sulfates should i avoid? thanks again all of you beautiful ladies for your suggestions & advice!

LoveBird

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 30th December 2009, 6:22 pm

Lovebird, you can check out livecurlylivefree.com. She lists the good and not so good silicones, alchols, etc.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 31st December 2009, 3:27 pm

Chrs thanks for the website..great information!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by LoveBird 2nd January 2010, 9:45 pm

@ChrsLvsBlk- thanks for the website.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

LoveBird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down