CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geneaology anyone?

+7
FloridaSunshine
AfrikanLatina
lacesonia
d.denise
tiashaunteƩ
traveljunkie08
LilMsPuddles
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Geneaology anyone? - Page 2 Empty Re: Geneaology anyone?

Post by FloridaSunshine 1st March 2010, 10:33 am

I read this post yesterday and was inspired to start digging - something my mom encouraged me to do about 15-16 years ago and I didn't.

@ LilMsPuddles: I'm with you on the spellings. I've come across so many different spellings of names, but the birth year, spouses and children are the same. It's crazy! My family is Cooper as well - it's my mom's maiden name. Where are your Coopers from? My family is from North Florida and South Carolina...

It's addicting, but how do you find information when most family members who have the information are deceased and they didn't pass down the stories and names to older, living relatives. Sigh...

FloridaSunshine

Back to top Go down

Geneaology anyone? - Page 2 Empty Finding ancestors

Post by lacesonia 1st March 2010, 11:31 am

Hi Florida Sunshine,

After my great grandmother passed away I used several of her obituaries to get names and locations of people.

I wish you all the luck.

Lacey
lacesonia
lacesonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 1st March 2010, 10:09 pm

lacesonia wrote:Well, my family comes from the following last names...Foster,Huggins, Bonaparte, Abraham, and Kennedy.

John Foster was from Lancaster, SC and is my grandmothers father. I'm trying to find his family.

From what I've learned all of these families (Huggins, Bonaparte, Abraham, and Kennedy) at one time had family members who lived near one another on a couple street in Jacksonville, Fl. A ton of the Bonaparte family was located in Elloree, SC. The Huggins and Abraham family still have members in Orangeburg, SC today.

I haven't found much on the Kennedy side (my great great great grandmother married a George Kennedy). Still trying to get below the surface.

Woot! Kennedy is my last name! Just had to say that lol.

I'm really interested in knowing my ancestry; I feel like I have a lot of history in my family, I just don't know it. Since Kennedy is Irish, I'll assume someone was Irish, but I have no idea who. Plus, I also have some Native American (Cherokee?) and obviously, African.

One day I'll definitely try to figure out where I come from though, it's really interesting.
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by makeupvixen 22nd March 2010, 5:02 pm

Wow, I did this in High School too. I was able to find my ancestors all the way back to Africa, well partically. I was able to find my Creole family through my gandmother's family on my mom's side. I found the place were they were House Slaves in Mississippi and Louisana. I found where Mary (my 5th great grandmother was raped by her master, had 6 kids by him, a Dutch/German man. My grandfather on my mom's side is Native American but since he was adopted I couldn't find much about his mother and father, only to know his mom was known for having a large chest (that's where I got mines from).

Mary's mom was a slave and her mother came from Africa, West Africa. Her husband Joseph was a slave but I can't find his parents information. I know that my great grandmother (also Mary) was Creole. Her husband Daniel was Irish. That made my grandmother Annie.

On my dad's side I only know that they are black and has a dash of spanish blood in them. They are from trinidad and speak both english and spanish.

I made a book of my ancestry and I have only one copy. I want to give it to my son when he is old enough. He's father is from Ghana Africa and all of his ancestors are from there but mom's blood is a little more intricate.
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

http://makeupvixen.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 26th March 2010, 2:35 pm

I thought about doing this in the past but never really followed through. I was fortunate to attend my grandmother's paternal family reunion 2 years ago. She has sinced passed yet I've developed a close relationship with one of her older brothers. I'm blessed to have both of my maternal great grandmothers alive. My nanny who will be 99 has an impeccable memory and shares her childhood stories about Dinwiddy, Virginia. She is a proud offspring of the Wells and Ford families of that area. She's told me of my resemblence to her Cherokee aunt whom she fondly compares me too. It's great to have photos of your relatives. You never know who you may be distantly related to. Christopher Darden, one of the prosecutors for the OJ Simpson murder trials definitly resembles my grandmother's oldest brother. Darden(Virginia) was her maiden name.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 9th June 2010, 6:14 pm

My Cooper family is from Georgia but I can only trace them to about the mid 1800's, but my McWhite/Mussclewhite, Rea, Murphy and Hail, and I think Watson and Moorer families are from South Carolina to some degree or another....
Since I made that post I have added over 100 people to my tree and traced portions of my family to 1810's and 1700's and some to Ireland.... Some of it is luck and some of it is to not be so specific about "well this is what I have been told" and some is just finding the right people to help you via asking or just making sure that you post the info your looking for in as many places as possible. Or at least that is my experience
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by goombagirl 9th June 2010, 7:45 pm

Interesting......I'm inspired....I'm tired of people asking me what Petticolas is.
goombagirl
goombagirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum