CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair Milk.

3 posters

Go down

Hair Milk. Empty Hair Milk.

Post by Umph 10th March 2011, 9:43 pm

Anyone have a recipe?
Umph
Umph

Back to top Go down

Hair Milk. Empty Re: Hair Milk.

Post by Madeaj 10th March 2011, 10:41 pm

I'm going to try my first one next week, when I hope to have the rest of my ingredients. I'll let you know how it turns out. Basic recipe is:

65 - 85% water based ingredients (Distilled water, Aloe Vera Juice, hydrosol I haven't decided which one yet, humectant and hydrolyzed silk)
5 - 8% Oil (still trying to decide which, probably sesame, jojoba or a mix)
4% emulsifier (cetyl alcohol probably)
2% thickener (Stearic Acid)
The rest of the percentage will be taken up with
1% preservative and maybe green tea or some other extract. I'm still trying to decide if I want something calming for my scalp or maybe leave it out altogether. If I can get it, maybe 2% of panthenol.

I want something light and slippery. The cetyl alcohol and oil will add the slip I want and the watery ingredients will keep it light and sprayable.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by JaliseH 10th March 2011, 11:25 pm

Ok little miss chemist, where are you getting these ingredients from?
JaliseH
JaliseH

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 11th March 2011, 12:22 am

List of suppliers There are so many more. I also haunt some of the manufacturer websites for mdsd and inci data.
Mountain Sage
New Directions
The Herbarie
Essentials Wholesale Good place for samples.
Camden Grey
List of Recipe Sites (my favorites)
Point of Interest
Mountain Sage Recipes
Adventures with Sage
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Umph 11th March 2011, 7:38 pm

Ooh Madeaj, let me know the outcome!
I was looking at ingredients of Bee Mine's Deja Hair Milk thinking I could probably make my OWN!

From Bee Mine site: Use Deja's Hair Milk to: defrizz, moisturize on damp hair, as a second day refresher, detangler or leave in.INGREDIENTS: Distilled water, Coconut milk, Organic Cocos Nucifera (Coconut Oil), Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba Seed Oil), Butyrosperumum Parkir (Shea Butter), Emulsifying wax, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa Butter), Vitis vinifera (Grapeseed Oil), Ricinus communis (Organic Castor Oil), Grapefruit & Peppermint Essential Oils, Vitamin E, Panthenol (Vitamin B Complex), Optiphen (Paraben free and Formaldehyde free preservative), Fragrance.

99% Natural & Organic

I'm not familiar with the ingredients in bold?? Maybe I'll check out the sites you suggested. But it seems simple enough to make; just have to practice ratio. Suggestions?
Umph
Umph

Back to top Go down

Post by Umph 16th March 2011, 10:30 pm

Coconut Milk... the brand in the grocery stores? Suggestions?
Umph
Umph

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 20th March 2011, 8:21 am

Hey all

Just wanted to update what I did. I didn't get all my ingredients yet, but I got inpatient so I used what I had. Preservative is added based on the total weight of the other ingredients, so the final is always over 100%.

I decided to start with the minimum ingredients, make a small amount, take notes and add things to the next batch. This first batch was only about 4 ounces total, but because I whipped it, filled 3 2.5 ounce bottles. It has a nice light feel. I didn't scent it heavily because I don't like heavy scents. I've used it mostly as a scalp lotion rather than a hair milk. It doesn't spray very well. I will whip it less next time Its a the foamy texture like the foam on top of a latte. My scalp feels moisturized without feeling smothered and I noticed that the dryness and itchiness on my edges I was getting faded a bit. I'll have to see how it holds up long term.

3 bottles - 2 to use, 1 as a control to see how long my preservative holds.

Recipe
85% distilled water
6% Smart Balance Oil
4% Olive Oil
3% Emulsifying wax
2% Stearic Acid
.2% fragrance (lavendar rose)
.5% Preservative (Germaban IIE)

Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 20th March 2011, 11:58 am

Umph wrote:Ooh Madeaj, let me know the outcome!
I was looking at ingredients of Bee Mine's Deja Hair Milk thinking I could probably make my OWN!

From Bee Mine site: Use Deja's Hair Milk to: defrizz, moisturize on damp hair, as a second day refresher, detangler or leave in.INGREDIENTS: Distilled water, Coconut milk, Organic Cocos Nucifera (Coconut Oil), Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba Seed Oil), Butyrosperumum Parkir (Shea Butter), Emulsifying wax, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa Butter), Vitis vinifera (Grapeseed Oil), Ricinus communis (Organic Castor Oil), Grapefruit & Peppermint Essential Oils, Vitamin E, Panthenol (Vitamin B Complex), Optiphen (Paraben free and Formaldehyde free preservative), Fragrance.

99% Natural & Organic

I'm not familiar with the ingredients in bold?? Maybe I'll check out the sites you suggested. But it seems simple enough to make; just have to practice ratio. Suggestions?

Looking at the recipe, this is what I come up with based on recommended percentages for some of the ingredients. THIS is my guessimate, I haven't made this so I don't know how the below percentages would turn out. I am not an expert or even an experienced beginner. Just a novice, but I've learned at lot over the last 2 years. study

What I have learned about ingredient lists
Ingredients are listed in order of weight, with the largest amount listed first. That is why water is often the first thing. Depending how watery this is, this one is probably 75-80%. I think coconut milk can be sticky so I'd put this in at 5% or less. Sort of like aloe vera juice or glycerin. Too much and you get something sticky.

Since this is a hair milk, the oils do not need to be a high percentage. I'd use no more than 10% oils, including the 4% coconut, 3% jojoba, 1% castor and 1% grapeseed oil.
Castor Oil

The emulsifying wax, shea butter and cocoa butter are for thickening and keeping the mixture together. Total for these three around 6%. 3% for the ewax and 1% each for the cocoa and shea. You could use less ewax and add more shea or cocoa butter. They are NOT interchangable, but this product does not need a lot of thickening and both shea and cocoa butter are hard waxy butters. Don't leave out the ewax or you'll be shaking this up everytime you want to use it.
Emulsifying Wax
Cocoa Butter

Essential oils can be irritants so they are usually added at no more than 1% and for strong ones like grapefruit and peppermint, at .5%. That means everything after the essential oils is added at 1% or less.
Grapefruit Essential oil
Peppermint Essential Oil

Preservatives are rarely used at more than 1.5%. The percentage is based on the total weight of the other ingredients. Optiphen

2. Panthenol is a Pro-b5 vitamin solution. Recommended at 2 - 10%, probably at 1% in this product.Panthenol

Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down