CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super Frustrated - My Curl Pattern is dead :(

+7
Kea::curls
ebonediva
Aunt_Lola
Jazzygurll
sen10rita
ChardaeD
LisaSmiles11
11 posters

Go down

Super Frustrated - My Curl Pattern is dead :( Empty Super Frustrated - My Curl Pattern is dead :(

Post by LisaSmiles11 21st February 2011, 12:07 pm

Hello fellow Curlies,

I've been natural for almost 5 years now. My curl pattern is about 3b/3c. Long story short, I wear my hair in a bun quite frequently because I'm absolutely clueless on how to style my hair. As long as I can remember, my hair in the front has always been somewhat straighter then the rest of my hair. Now, it is completely straight! Not a hint of curl at all. I'm so frustrated and I'm not sure what I can do. On one hand, I know wearing it out would help but since the texture in the front is so much different than the texture in the back, it always looks like fool mess! On the other hand, if I keep wearing it a bun, I know it will make the problem worse. Any suggestions???? I'm desperate! Sad

LisaSmiles11

Back to top Go down

Super Frustrated - My Curl Pattern is dead :( Empty Re: Super Frustrated - My Curl Pattern is dead :(

Post by ChardaeD 21st February 2011, 12:25 pm

My hair in the front is also much straighter than the rest. I'm wondering if it had anything to do with heat damage from my relaxed days.

Yours might just be that you have multiple textures. One thing you could try is twisting the front to help it curl, and maybe it'll turn out like the rest. I hope the other ladies have great suggestions!
ChardaeD
ChardaeD

http://girlnotondeadline.blgospot.com

Back to top Go down

Super Frustrated - My Curl Pattern is dead :( Empty Re: Super Frustrated - My Curl Pattern is dead :(

Post by LisaSmiles11 21st February 2011, 1:12 pm

Thanks for the fast reply! I've tried twisting my hair and I'm still experimenting with it. Sometimes it works, and sometimes its a complete mess. I'm just trying to troubleshooot the problem. Smile

LisaSmiles11

Back to top Go down

Post by sen10rita 21st February 2011, 1:25 pm

@LisaSmiles11: I heard people say that if you deep condition your hair, you could get the curls back. I am not sure if it's a 100% true but perhaps you should see. Sorry to hear that they(the curls) aren't popping. Good luck, girl! Very Happy
sen10rita
sen10rita

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazzygurll 21st February 2011, 2:10 pm

I am going through this EXACT same thing! I will be lurking for replies! Oh, I have been using protein in my hair, and it seems to help SOME...
Jazzygurll
Jazzygurll

Back to top Go down

Post by LisaSmiles11 21st February 2011, 3:12 pm

Wow, thanks ladies! I must say, I'm very impressed with this site and people who post here. I just joined and I'm so glad there is a venue where Naturals can ask questions and get responses. 'Tis a beautiful thing!!

@ sen10rita - Thanks for the tip. I've been DC-ing religiously for the past 3 weeks. I hope things will turn around. I'm thinking about going to the YMCA with deep conditioner in my hair and using the steam room there. Sounds bootlegged but I'll try anything. LOL!

@ Jazzygurll - I've used protein too and I wonder if that's one of the culprits. Hmmm. I'll be "lurking" too until I find a solution.

LisaSmiles11

Back to top Go down

Post by Aunt_Lola 21st February 2011, 3:52 pm

Hi Lisa and welcome.
I'm a noob too, and I have a similar situation except mine is reverse - the front and crown of my hair are wavy/curly while the sides & back area is virtually straight. I wouldn't even call it a 3a because it doesn't make those big curls, just a loose wave and maybe a curl at the end. It's also silky and takes more work to get it to go along with the rest of the hair.

As others have suggested, maybe a change in products could help? What products are you currently using? I know some products make all of my hair virtually straight, while others encourage more curl.

You could also try using a gel or curl styling cream and "scrunching" the straighter areas with it to encourage it to curl. Basically you cup it at the bottom and push up towards the roots while gently squeezing to encourage it to curl. Paul Mitchell's Round Trip will work for me to encourage curl and has a light hold without drying out the hair.

Like you, I mostly wear my hair in a bun or ponytail so I don't worry about encouraging curls a whole lot anyway. But I hope you're able to find a solution. Smile

Aunt_Lola

Back to top Go down

Post by LisaSmiles11 21st February 2011, 11:05 pm

@ Aunt_Lola - I'm an extreme product junkie, so I use a bit of everything. I was using Miss Jessie's Curly Buttercreme as a moisturizer, but it was way too heavy. Now, I'm using the Curls moisturizer and it seems to work much better. I've tried the scrunching method before. The end result is 3b hair in the back and like 2b in the front. I'm going to keep it up though. Maybe, my hair will begin to follow suit.

At any rate, if I find a solution I will definitely post it!

LisaSmiles11

Back to top Go down

Post by ebonediva 21st February 2011, 11:48 pm

Deep condition, deep condition, deep condtion!
ebonediva
ebonediva

http://God Said It, I Believe It, and That Settles It....AMEN

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 22nd February 2011, 12:16 am

also, using protein treatments can help to enhance your natural curl pattern. you can do a mild protein treatment (like a regular conditioner that is high in proteins: Giovanni Smooth as Silk or Aubrey Organics GPB) OR you can do a stronger protein treatment like Aphogee. You do have to be careful that you don't overdo the protein treatment though and continue to balance it with DCing.

P.S. how often do you flat iron/straighten your hair? Frequent use of heat can lead to heat damage (loss of curl pattern). Just trying to cover all possible areas...

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by LisaSmiles11 22nd February 2011, 12:41 pm

@ ebonediva - I've been deep conditioning with Shea Moistures Restorative Masque. I do notice that my hair is softer and hopefully it will revive my curls.

@ Kea::curls - I haven't tried any of the Giovanni products although I've heard good things. I might give it whirl. Regarding flat ironing, I haven't flat ironed my hair since November 2010. Before that, I would flat iron every 8-10 weeks (without any touch ups) when I got a trim. If it got frizzy, I would just put it in a bun which happens very often because I live in Florida. The last time I ran into the lady who does my hair, she confiscated my ponytail holder. Smile

LisaSmiles11

Back to top Go down

Post by Just Ashley 22nd February 2011, 4:25 pm

What's been helping me is the 3 minute miracle deep conditioner aussie makes. The first time I put it in CURLS GALORE! Now I just need to figure out how to keep my curls that way when I get out to put in leave in and a sealer. So far nothing.
Just Ashley
Just Ashley

http://public.fotki.com/ashleyforachange/

Back to top Go down

Post by LisaSmiles11 22nd February 2011, 8:32 pm

@ Just Ashley - Aussie 3-Minute Miracle, the Deep Version, used to be a staple for me. Lately, it seems like my hair has become "used to it."

Some people suggest putting on your hair products & sealant in the shower so you don't manipulate your hair and lose the curl. Maybe that will work for you too! Smile

LisaSmiles11

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 24th February 2011, 4:26 pm

Hey I just saw these vids today on youtube. In the first video, the stylist is performing a hair cut on loosely curly/wavy hair....fast forward to approx 3:50 minutes to hear her talking about the girl having lost her curl pattern in the front of her hair. The stylist suggests that she do some pincurls up front:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhs1Ty0wiYs

the second vid is a more in depth example of (how to do) pincurls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW_e7o2Ith8

thought it was funny that both of these videos were posted today & reminded me of your question...good luck Smile

P.S. i promise i do more than just sit around watching youtube videos all day. lol Razz

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybird 24th February 2011, 5:17 pm

@ LisaSmile1.. I too go to my Gym steam room to do my DC for two reasons.

1. I kill to birds with one stone, hair and body steam Laughing

2. No bathtub to clean after dance so it is not bootleg it is smart Very Happy

Good luck on finding your curls, i am sure these great ladies will help you out.
Ladybird
Ladybird

Back to top Go down

Post by slimwithabs 24th February 2011, 6:10 pm

Whenever I see change in curl pattern I change products and it seems to work. I use Curly buttercream & the Curly Mer by Ms. Jessie, OOC cream, just purchased some eco styling gel.
slimwithabs
slimwithabs

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 24th February 2011, 6:35 pm

Hi ladies,

On top of adding certain products, I'd also encourage you all to try an Amla treatment with Amla powder. It helps to clump the hair and enhances the curl pattern. I'm a 3b in front and 3c in back also. I started mixing Amla with my henna and using it as a stand alone treatment because the henna began to loosen my curl pattern so much that certain strands began to look like I had relaxer on the ends. It works like a charm!
___________________________________________________________________________________
Are you a Ride or Die Christian?
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

http://www.experiencestmattsumc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LisaSmiles11 25th February 2011, 10:43 am

Seriously, great comments by all! I'm loving this site more and more everyday. How on earth did I cope without it?!?! Smile

@ Kea::curls - Girl, there is nothing wrong with Youtube. Lol. It can be quite addictive! I've tried pin curls when my hair was straight before, but never on my hair in its natural state. Maybe I'll try it this weekend. I've been doing flat twists which works okay but the ends always come out crazy.

@ Ladybird - Glad to see I'm not the only one using the gym steam room. People look at me like I'm crazy but *shrugs*!

@ Slimwithabs - I just decided to switch up my routine some. I'm going to give Eco Styler another go. However, I tend to have a "heavy hand" when applying products which cause my curls to be weighed down & limp.

@ MelMelBee - I've also begun experimenting with Alma. I haven't used the powder just the oil and a shampoo bar that contains Alma in it. I'm a bit intimidated by the powder. Is there a way to use the Alma powder besides mixing it in Henna?

LisaSmiles11

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 25th February 2011, 1:36 pm

LisaSmiles11 wrote:Seriously, great comments by all! I'm loving this site more and more everyday. How on earth did I cope without it?!?! Smile

@ Kea::curls - Girl, there is nothing wrong with Youtube. Lol. It can be quite addictive! I've tried pin curls when my hair was straight before, but never on my hair in its natural state. Maybe I'll try it this weekend. I've been doing flat twists which works okay but the ends always come out crazy.

@ Ladybird - Glad to see I'm not the only one using the gym steam room. People look at me like I'm crazy but *shrugs*!

@ Slimwithabs - I just decided to switch up my routine some. I'm going to give Eco Styler another go. However, I tend to have a "heavy hand" when applying products which cause my curls to be weighed down & limp.

@ MelMelBee - I've also begun experimenting with Alma. I haven't used the powder just the oil and a shampoo bar that contains Alma in it. I'm a bit intimidated by the powder. Is there a way to use the Alma powder besides mixing it in Henna?

Yes, I do amla treatments by themselves sometimes. You can buy Amla powder from your local Indian store or you can buy it online. You just mix it with warm water and let it sit for about 15 minutes. It does not stain, so you don't have to worry about using gloves and all that. It does stain your clothes if you let it sit in. Click here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p7N7x2pZZc&feature=fvsr for a tutorial.

Let us know your results!
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

http://www.experiencestmattsumc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ebonediva 26th February 2011, 4:02 pm

LisaSmiles11 wrote:@ ebonediva - I've been deep conditioning with Shea Moistures Restorative Masque. I do notice that my hair is softer and hopefully it will revive my curls.

@ Kea::curls - I haven't tried any of the Giovanni products although I've heard good things. I might give it whirl. Regarding flat ironing, I haven't flat ironed my hair since November 2010. Before that, I would flat iron every 8-10 weeks (without any touch ups) when I got a trim. If it got frizzy, I would just put it in a bun which happens very often because I live in Florida. The last time I ran into the lady who does my hair, she confiscated my ponytail holder. Smile

SheaMoisture products have too much protein for me. I get the crunch feeling after I use them. Keep a journal of what works for your hair and what doesn't to learn what ingredients in products to stay away from. This worked wonders for my hair and my curl pattern.
ebonediva
ebonediva

http://God Said It, I Believe It, and That Settles It....AMEN

Back to top Go down

Post by LisaSmiles11 26th February 2011, 9:25 pm

Thanks MelMelBee. They were actually out of Alma Powder. Sad I did get some Heenara which is a conditioning henna powder. Hopefully, it will help condition my hair. I've used it before and had decent results.

@Ebonediva - I had the same protein issue with the SheaMoisture Coconut Hibiscus line. The SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter is a bit better for me. I don't think it has the same level of protein from reading the ingredients. I'll definitely start paying attention to what my hair needs!

LisaSmiles11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down