CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Media and Natural Hair

5 posters

Go down

The Media and Natural Hair Empty The Media and Natural Hair

Post by Indigo.Blue 8th February 2011, 12:11 am

I think it is interesting how misconceptions come about...

The media is often to blame for all that is wrong in our world, but are our theories accurate??? Nikki has pulled out celebrity after celebrity who were lifetime naturals or relaxed very few times, yet, we say that the media caused us to relax our hair:
Kisha Knight Pulliam, Karyn Parsons, Regina King, Leela James, Esperanza Spalding, Goapele, Bre (ANTM), Tracie Thoms, and others she has not gotten to yet: Oprah, YaYa (ANTM, my fav), Queen Latifah, Holly Robinson Peete, Jill Scott, Erykah (even though it is a wig), Tracee Ellis Ross, Tanika Ray, Corinne Bailey Rae, Mel B...One could argue that some don't wear their hair in its curly state, and one could also argue that most weaves has texture and is not just straight. I also did not mention the beautiful ladies who sports locks in the media like Lauryn, India, and Lisa Bonet (my fav)...also, shout out to the many lifetime (or mainly lifetime) naturals on CN...I guess you never watched tv...

The media is blamed for only showing negative images of black people; if you believe that, have you ever seen CMT (country music television) where they have several shows about rednecks (like that redneck wedding show). Have you ever watched Blue Collar TV where they have a redneck dictionary and make fun of how rednecks speak and butcher the english language? How about Rock of Love girls? ...No one is exempt from being made fun of. Ask an Asian how they felt about that scene in The Hangover...So lighten up...

I love my people from the wild, crazy, and untamed to the stuck-up, snobby, or refined...we are all beautifully human...
Indigo.Blue
Indigo.Blue

Back to top Go down

The Media and Natural Hair Empty Re: The Media and Natural Hair

Post by Jazzyrin 8th February 2011, 12:25 am

im not gonna comment on the negative images part lol theres just too much to say but as far as the natural hair celebs the natural ones arent in the "spotlight" as much as say rihanna...beyonce...nicki minaj these are the types of women whom young girls and young women try to emulate as far as appearance none of my permed friends wanna look like joan clayton.

In fact someone has said to me as an insult "you look like joan from girlfriends" like there are lots of people out there who would take that as an insult its funny to me.
Jazzyrin
Jazzyrin

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 8th February 2011, 12:30 am

@Jazzyrin I agree with you...the people mainly in the spotlight have weaves...and a lot of those people who were famous who were lifelong naturals had their hair pressed or rollerset....something other than just wearing the natural.....Keshia said for the shows she still gets her hair straightened...not to take away from her naturalness, but as far as her media presence, she's not really seen with her naturally curly hair.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo.Blue 8th February 2011, 12:33 am

Jazzyrin...I have heard many curlies say that Tracee Ellis Ross was their hair idols...I also don't think that being in the spotlight matters. I often use the example of all the positive tv shows I had when I was growing up: The Cosby's, Family Matters, Fresh Prince, Living Single, A Different World, 227, Living Color...if that is what matters, everyone from my generation should be on top of the world...
Indigo.Blue
Indigo.Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo.Blue 8th February 2011, 12:36 am

@Janique, if it is true that the media is responsible for our decisions, than why don't we press and curl as opposed to relaxing...
Indigo.Blue
Indigo.Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick 8th February 2011, 1:08 am

I sometimes question the media being responsible but the more I pay attention to the kids (I'm an after school teacher AND I studied media/filmmaking in college) the more I realize that the media does have a HUGE role. We are constantly looking for our own experiences/representation in media where we can feel part of it. I cannot believe how many girls as young as 9 who think about being skinny/straight hair/skin color. It makes me sad that they only pay attention to one representation simply because that's what is the most available.
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 8th February 2011, 2:09 am

you know what i just notice all the celebrities you mention cater to a more mature crowd...I love India Arie, Jill Scott, Corinne Bailey Rae, Erykah, and Lauryn Hill (thats my girl!!) but alot of my friends do not listen to these women..their more into Beyonce, Keri Hilson, and Nikki Minaji. To me it seems like women who are getting more attention in the media aren't naturals...

The ladies you listed (although I love each one of them) aren't in the media as much as Rihanna and Nikki...so their hair type isn't shown as much because of it...The ladies that are in the media heavily wear weaves and straight hair..
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down