CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nothing to do with hair but would love any and everyone's input

+8
kinksncurls
elitebeauty13
BlondeByDesire
butterfly3000
avyishi
blkbeauty2010
coachkareng
Kimberly
12 posters

Go down

Nothing to do with hair but would love any and everyone's input Empty Nothing to do with hair but would love any and everyone's input

Post by Kimberly 2nd February 2011, 11:00 pm

I want to move out of state, I am tired of these cold snowy winters here in Chicago. I am really interested in Durham North Carolina can any of you ladies offer as much advice on moving to an unknown state especially Durham North Carolina (schools, housing, employment), just overall information that you might know or think of in a situation like this. I'm not going anywhere for another year but I would like to hear from others as well as do as much research as I can.

Kimberly

Back to top Go down

Nothing to do with hair but would love any and everyone's input Empty Re: Nothing to do with hair but would love any and everyone's input

Post by coachkareng 2nd February 2011, 11:12 pm

From all accounts, Durham is a beautiful place to live. If you're unhappy where you are and you feel compelled, just do it. Visit, hang out, make friends, look for jobs, and get a feel. Stay there for a week if you can roaming around acting as if you really live there.

There are no random thoughts, coincidences, or accidents, only divine inspirations. Follow them. Good luck!!! Very Happy
coachkareng
coachkareng

Back to top Go down

Nothing to do with hair but would love any and everyone's input Empty Re: Nothing to do with hair but would love any and everyone's input

Post by blkbeauty2010 2nd February 2011, 11:23 pm

January 16, 2009 I was a Milwaukee, WI resident (born and raised). It was 2 degrees and -50degree windchill and I had to all night long start my car every 2 hours so my engine wouldnt freeze overnight and then still had to get up and work an 8 hour shift the next day. It was cold, windy, icy, and I WAS MISERABLE, I thought to myself I just cant do this anymore. That evening upon entering my home and putting more layers to stay warm (yes... INSIDE the house) turning my heat up and putting my oven on 400 and leaving the door open I snuggled up with my computer and began applying for jobs in Houston, TX.

I had prepared myself for all the possible situations my half frozen brain could conjure up and even prepared letters to resign from my current job, and various letters to send to potential employers. I had numerous phone interviews and had my scripts/letters ready when asked particular questions.

February 16, 2009 exactly 30 days later I loaded the last of what I could fit in my car and drove 16 hours straight until I arrived in H-town. I knew 2-3 people upon my arrival and used them as resources for potential job leads, areas of town to consider living in, driving directions, local businesses, economy info, cost of living info (the c.o.l. in the south is so much cheaper than midwest). I'm counting towards my 2yr anniversary and it is the best decision i have made for myself. Was it hard... yes, was it an adjustment...yes, but oh so worth the perspective, experience, and confidence iv gained since then. Upon my arrival i had no job lined up (but plenty of face to face interviews) an found out that a potential employer held a position for me for three weeks. I landed my dream job and fell into a career that I love. All that to say... I left with a Prayer and a suitcase and everything worked out for me. Not telling you to go jump to it like i did, but I just wanted to let you know when things are right and its your time things will fall into place and you will be at ease with your decisions and will have sort of a calm excitement about what your new future will hold for you. Good luck!

P.S.
subscribe to newspapers or online local reads from the state youre considering

use housing sites such as apartment.com or rent.com to get an idea about what you will need to live

look up average houshold income for the area
http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/111979/most-debt-ridden-cities?mod=bb-creditcards

research average income for your desired profession in the area youre considering (though there is always a national average it varies from state to state)

consider the economy in the area and what you have to offer to the community as well as your qualifications. You have a year and you may fimd that more professional development as well as a certificate or additional licensing may be benificial.

I hope this helps!
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimberly 3rd February 2011, 1:25 am

blkbeauty2010 wrote:January 16, 2009 I was a Milwaukee, WI resident (born and raised). It was 2 degrees and -50degree windchill and I had to all night long start my car every 2 hours so my engine wouldnt freeze overnight and then still had to get up and work an 8 hour shift the next day. It was cold, windy, icy, and I WAS MISERABLE, I thought to myself I just cant do this anymore. That evening upon entering my home and putting more layers to stay warm (yes... INSIDE the house) turning my heat up and putting my oven on 400 and leaving the door open I snuggled up with my computer and began applying for jobs in Houston, TX.

I had prepared myself for all the possible situations my half frozen brain could conjure up and even prepared letters to resign from my current job, and various letters to send to potential employers. I had numerous phone interviews and had my scripts/letters ready when asked particular questions.

February 16, 2009 exactly 30 days later I loaded the last of what I could fit in my car and drove 16 hours straight until I arrived in H-town. I knew 2-3 people upon my arrival and used them as resources for potential job leads, areas of town to consider living in, driving directions, local businesses, economy info, cost of living info (the c.o.l. in the south is so much cheaper than midwest). I'm counting towards my 2yr anniversary and it is the best decision i have made for myself. Was it hard... yes, was it an adjustment...yes, but oh so worth the perspective, experience, and confidence iv gained since then. Upon my arrival i had no job lined up (but plenty of face to face interviews) an found out that a potential employer held a position for me for three weeks. I landed my dream job and fell into a career that I love. All that to say... I left with a Prayer and a suitcase and everything worked out for me. Not telling you to go jump to it like i did, but I just wanted to let you know when things are right and its your time things will fall into place and you will be at ease with your decisions and will have sort of a calm excitement about what your new future will hold for you. Good luck!

P.S.

use housing sites such as apartment.com or rent.com to get an idea about what you will need to live

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/111979/most-debt-ridden-cities?mod=bb-creditcards

research average income for your desired profession in the area youre considering (though there is always a national average it varies from state to state)

consider the economy in the area and what you have to offer to the community as well as your qualifications. You have a year and you may fimd that more professional development as well as a certificate or additional licensing may be benificial.

I hope this helps!

Yes it helps it inspires me you've made me smile I'm tired from shoveling snow for a few hours just to make sure that my car will be able to move come tomorrow but then received notice that there is no school tomorrow for my son or me (I've been subbing). I am going to take that leap but I have a child so I have to plan a bit more just so because I won't have a support system. Thanks for your responses they are definitely appreciated.

Kimberly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimberly 3rd February 2011, 1:28 am

coachkareng wrote:From all accounts, Durham is a beautiful place to live. If you're unhappy where you are and you feel compelled, just do it. Visit, hang out, make friends, look for jobs, and get a feel. Stay there for a week if you can roaming around acting as if you really live there.

There are no random thoughts, coincidences, or accidents, only divine inspirations. Follow them. Good luck!!! Very Happy

Thanks I will definitely try to do this at least twice before making the move. Thank you for your response.

Kimberly

Back to top Go down

Post by avyishi 3rd February 2011, 12:35 pm

I've packed up and moved a few times the last two times was to college and the last time i moved back to the virgin islands. I'm in the mode to go again i'm actually considering Charlotte or Raleigh, NC along with some other states.

My reasons aren't snow, but that was part of my reasons to leave Maryland even though the winters there aren't as cold as yours. I had enough of the whole situation i was in.

I love my island but i need more options again, i've been back for 5 years and did so much travelling last year it wasn't funny. i even went to Hawaii, to see how i would handle the public transportation system if i moved there until i get a car.

I have a better job this time but its not enough for me all the pieces of the puzzle have to fit not just one. I'm thinking about picking a place and leaving later this year or early next year all depending on the place i choose and depending on the what kind of job i find maybe sooner. Definitely do it, you only live once and you can always move back! You can also do like many people i know they move first to get a job and set things up (if they have family that can watch the kids) and then go get their kids during the summer or at the end of the semester so that they are in sync with the schools.

i definitely believe in visiting a place first but i'm also the kind of person that just picked a place and went like college i never visited the school until i went to move in, i enjoyed that excitement. Since you have a child definitely go visit and check the schools out in person. NC is very beautiful, i'm don't think you'll be disappointed.
avyishi
avyishi

http://public.fotki.com/beautywithcurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfly3000 3rd February 2011, 1:21 pm

Hi Kimberly,
I can definitely feel you on the moving tip because my goal is to be out of NC within the next two years. Been here all my life and need a change....of scenery. NC is beautiful. Beach on one side, mountains on the other but I'm outdoorsy so thats always a plus for me. However, in terms of things to do and the job market, thats a different story. It really just depends on your industry and your personal interests. I've lived in Raleigh half my life and Greensboro the other half. I lived in Durham for about 3 months and couldn't wait to get out of that town. I couldn't find a middle ground. One side very high in crime and just plain ghetto, other side very pretentious and boojy. Greensboro is a good central location for getting to Raleigh in 1 1/2 hrs. and getting to Charlotte in 1 1/2 hrs. I say that because, not much going on in G'boro besides Colleges. There are 5.

I think Durham is so high up on the employment opportunity list because of the Research Triangle Park area, so if you're in the computer tech field there's always an opening in Durham for that. Duke and Central Universities also support the town's job market as well. Definitely do your research. Visit at least twice. Also visit Raleigh. I don't know anything about Durham Co. School system but schools in Raleigh are wonderful. The housing market is moderate. Its definitely a buyer's market right now so locating one won't be a hassle. I will say that they will be better priced than northern homes due to our spacial differences. The further south you go, the more bang for your buck!
butterfly3000
butterfly3000

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 3rd February 2011, 2:56 pm

After I moved I inspired many family members to move, many also have small children. Once you find an area/neighborhood look at links like greatschools.com to get reviews, and if youre going to visit make sure schools are on your list for a walk through or just an outside observation, you can also if in town visiting attend a PTA meeting and get first hand responses from parents (trust me when it comes to schools and daycares parents are honest about their opinions weather good or bad. you can also start your search for daycares with large chains such as kids are kids, the learning corner, the learning center, childrens palce (think of large daycare facilities where you currently live that have multiple chain like locations, its likely they have locations out of state) If i think of any other tips ill let you know
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 3rd February 2011, 3:30 pm

My family and I just packed up and moved last June from Baltimore, MD to Charlotte, NC. And I luvs it. I/we were tried of Baltimore, MD and needed a change. Born and raised in Baltimore.

I did a lot of online research try - www.city-data.com

My main concern was location and schooling. Not sure if you have kids, but schools are important.

BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by elitebeauty13 3rd February 2011, 3:52 pm

As a lifelong resident of North Carolina, I can tell you that the Durham area is one of the fastest growing in the state as far a jobs are concerned right behind Charlotte. The cost of living is relatively cheap compared to what my friends and family pay that leave in different areas of the country. If you let me know what field you're in, I'll keep a look out for jobs in your area of interest.
elitebeauty13
elitebeauty13

http://elitebeauty13.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimberly 3rd February 2011, 6:26 pm

I am going to bookmark this post because of the wealth of information. Thank you guys so much for your great response it is definitely appreciated. I am in the education field and my plans are to make my move when my son completes elementary school before going to middle school. Which after this year will be a year and then I am out and I really want to move to North Carolina and Elitebeauty13 I am in the education field elementary education.

Kimberly

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 4th February 2011, 12:35 am

Hey All. It must be faith cause I just received a job offer in Raleigh, North Carolina, and they've asked me to start my first day of work on the 21st of this month Shocked I'm excited and nervous at the same time because i've lived in California for 13 years. It's crazy, but the job market here is horrible, and I've found a company that's willing to take me on. I'm happy its in North Carolina rather than the NY or someplace with terrible winters. But any suggestions would be helpful:

Does it snow in Raleigh, NC? How cold can I expect the winters to get?
Any other tips etc would be fantastic!
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimberly 4th February 2011, 11:52 am

kinksncurls wrote:Hey All. It must be faith cause I just received a job offer in Raleigh, North Carolina, and they've asked me to start my first day of work on the 21st of this month Shocked I'm excited and nervous at the same time because i've lived in California for 13 years. It's crazy, but the job market here is horrible, and I've found a company that's willing to take me on. I'm happy its in North Carolina rather than the NY or someplace with terrible winters. But any suggestions would be helpful:

I am so happy for you, I pray that it is everything you want and more. You have to let us know how things are going if you decide to make the move and accept the offer. Maybe I'll see you along with Elitebeauty, and other curlies in NC in another year or two. Please let us know how things are going.

Kimberly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimberly 4th February 2011, 11:54 am

butterfly3000 wrote:Hi Kimberly,
I can definitely feel you on the moving tip because my goal is to be out of NC within the next two years. Been here all my life and need a change....of scenery. NC is beautiful. Beach on one side, mountains on the other but I'm outdoorsy so thats always a plus for me. However, in terms of things to do and the job market, thats a different story. It really just depends on your industry and your personal interests. I've lived in Raleigh half my life and Greensboro the other half. I lived in Durham for about 3 months and couldn't wait to get out of that town. I couldn't find a middle ground. One side very high in crime and just plain ghetto, other side very pretentious and boojy. Greensboro is a good central location for getting to Raleigh in 1 1/2 hrs. and getting to Charlotte in 1 1/2 hrs. I say that because, not much going on in G'boro besides Colleges. There are 5.

I think Durham is so high up on the employment opportunity list because of the Research Triangle Park area, so if you're in the computer tech field there's always an opening in Durham for that. Duke and Central Universities also support the town's job market as well. Definitely do your research. Visit at least twice. Also visit Raleigh. I don't know anything about Durham Co. School system but schools in Raleigh are wonderful. The housing market is moderate. Its definitely a buyer's market right now so locating one won't be a hassle. I will say that they will be better priced than northern homes due to our spacial differences. The further south you go, the more bang for your buck!

Butterfly3000 you are so funny, where do you think you might relocate to Ms. I can't wait to get out of NC Razz

Kimberly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimberly 4th February 2011, 11:57 am

BlondeByDesire wrote:My family and I just packed up and moved last June from Baltimore, MD to Charlotte, NC. And I luvs it. I/we were tried of Baltimore, MD and needed a change. Born and raised in Baltimore.

I did a lot of online research try - www.city-data.com

My main concern was location and schooling. Not sure if you have kids, but schools are important.

Blondebydesire the school system is my number 1 concern because right now I am in the best district in Illinois and that it the only thing that makes me say I won't go anywhere. Employment is a big factor but it is second to my son being in a good system, it doesn't have to be the top but it has to be good.

Kimberly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimberly 4th February 2011, 11:59 am

blkbeauty2010 wrote:After I moved I inspired many family members to move, many also have small children. Once you find an area/neighborhood look at links like greatschools.com to get reviews, and if youre going to visit make sure schools are on your list for a walk through or just an outside observation, you can also if in town visiting attend a PTA meeting and get first hand responses from parents (trust me when it comes to schools and daycares parents are honest about their opinions weather good or bad. you can also start your search for daycares with large chains such as kids are kids, the learning corner, the learning center, childrens palce (think of large daycare facilities where you currently live that have multiple chain like locations, its likely they have locations out of state) If i think of any other tips ill let you know

I've had parents question me about a school or two and you are right I was straight up honest about the good and the bad but I let them know my reasons for being at a school or staying in one.

Kimberly

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 4th February 2011, 4:03 pm

Kimberly wrote:
kinksncurls wrote:Hey All. It must be faith cause I just received a job offer in Raleigh, North Carolina, and they've asked me to start my first day of work on the 21st of this month Shocked I'm excited and nervous at the same time because i've lived in California for 13 years. It's crazy, but the job market here is horrible, and I've found a company that's willing to take me on. I'm happy its in North Carolina rather than the NY or someplace with terrible winters. But any suggestions would be helpful:

I am so happy for you, I pray that it is everything you want and more. You have to let us know how things are going if you decide to make the move and accept the offer. Maybe I'll see you along with Elitebeauty, and other curlies in NC in another year or two. Please let us know how things are going.

Thank you. I've accepted the offer tentatively Smile And started looking for a place to live. I'll keep you guys posted once I know more
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 5th February 2011, 4:26 am

Kimberly wrote:I want to move out of state, I am tired of these cold snowy winters here in Chicago. I am really interested in Durham North Carolina can any of you ladies offer as much advice on moving to an unknown state especially Durham North Carolina (schools, housing, employment), just overall information that you might know or think of in a situation like this. I'm not going anywhere for another year but I would like to hear from others as well as do as much research as I can.

I'm so moving to North Carolina when I'm done school...I'm in Philly now...too cold!

blkbeauty2010 wrote:January 16, 2009 I was a Milwaukee, WI resident (born and raised). It was 2 degrees and -50degree windchill and I had to all night long start my car every 2 hours so my engine wouldnt freeze overnight and then still had to get up and work an 8 hour shift the next day. It was cold, windy, icy, and I WAS MISERABLE, I thought to myself I just cant do this anymore. That evening upon entering my home and putting more layers to stay warm (yes... INSIDE the house) turning my heat up and putting my oven on 400 and leaving the door open I snuggled up with my computer and began applying for jobs in Houston, TX.

P.S.

I hope this helps!

How you feeling stuck in the house with all that snow over the last few days...see if you had never lived in WI, you wouldn't know what to do in that Houston snow...somebody somewhere is dazed and confused because they never expected snow in Houston...LOL
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

http://www.experiencestmattsumc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tamtam7 5th February 2011, 8:25 am

I moved to North Carolina about 4 or 5 years ago and I love it! My desire to move was actually because I just wanted a change. The winters here are pretty mild, the cost of living is very affordable, and I really think that NC has the best of both worlds; the mountains and the beach. Its a beautiful state. You would love Durham. I didn't do much research when I moved. I had friends here so I just visited a lot.
tamtam7
tamtam7

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimberly 24th February 2011, 12:12 am

MelMelBee when will you be done with school? TamTam I am pretty much sold on North Carolina and will be there ASAP (less than 2 years). MelBee I'm laughing at the dazed and confused that would be such a hoot worrying about what to do when it snows. I am sold completely on NC. Thanks guys I'm moving in that direction just wanted some input.

Kimberly

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 24th February 2011, 5:37 pm

Kimberly wrote:MelMelBee when will you be done with school? TamTam I am pretty much sold on North Carolina and will be there ASAP (less than 2 years). MelBee I'm laughing at the dazed and confused that would be such a hoot worrying about what to do when it snows. I am sold completely on NC. Thanks guys I'm moving in that direction just wanted some input.

I'll be done school in 2014 and I'll have a Ph.D in Social Work (by God's Grace)...then I'm on my way to NC...so we will have to keep in touch so I will have a friend when I arrive...LOL!

I'm glad I've been used to snow because in those places where it rarely snows, I can imagine the drama. In Philly, we clean out the supermarkets of bread and milk prior to a big storm. I'm sure in TX and other normally hot states, they clean out the coat stores...LOL!
________________________________________________________________________________________
Are you a Ride or Die Christian?
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

http://www.experiencestmattsumc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 25th February 2011, 5:04 pm

Hi KinksNCurls,

I was born in California and a lot of my family still live there so I know weather is a big issue for you lol. As far as weather I've been in Raleigh since August 2009 (college) and I would say the winters can be somewhat cold, of course nowhere near New York or Maryland weather. It's pretty unpredictable here, last year we had a lot of inches of snow but this year no snow just ice and cold temperatures. Winter this year wasn't TOO bad, it was 20's at the lowest (wind chill made it feel colder than that though). I would say definitely invest a wool coat and warm shoes (I prefer uggs) for the winter and you'll be fine.

Anyway, now it's February and we had 70s last week and earlier this week it was 50s and windy?? Weird weather lol.
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by denni11 26th February 2011, 2:33 am

I was born and raised in Chicago, then we moved to TN, then I moved to Kansas, and LA- now I live in Italy.

I'm a firm believer that the best thing a person can do for themselves is to leave their comfort zone.

Chicago is a great motivator for this because it really is too cold. I don't expect anyone to just up and move to another country but- don't ever think anything is not possible.
denni11
denni11

http://kabuln210days.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimberly 26th February 2011, 3:36 pm

Thanks Denni11 you so right what's really making me doubt is that I don't know anyone there and at the same time I think it could really be a good thing and the best for my son and me. Curlista is that a yea or nah you sound a little conflicted I want to hear some of the not so great things to just to give me a more of a realistic picture. MelMelBee congratulations on going back to get that PhD, I want to get a Master in Education and at the same time would like to put a little social work under my belt too. I will keep in touch and pray that this is something that can/will work out for my son and me. Thanks ladies everyone of you.

Kimberly

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 26th February 2011, 6:16 pm

Oh, I wasn't commenting on whether Raleigh or North Carolina in general was a fitting place I was just responding to KinksNCurls question about the winter climate here. And as I said the weather is unpredictable but that shouldn't deter you from moving here if that's what you want to do

Now, as far as North Carolina in general I don't think I'm the right person to give an opinion. I'm only here for school and I do not have a car so I don't visit many of the local areas as I would like. So, the only information I could possibly give to you is in reference to the college education opportunities available here.
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down