CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does Amla loosen the curl pattern?

+2
ajsimmons8
belleaenca
6 posters

Go down

Does Amla loosen the curl pattern?  Empty Does Amla loosen the curl pattern?

Post by belleaenca 23rd January 2011, 2:32 pm

I have previously tried Cassia which actually enhances my curl patter, but I've been doing an amla/bhringraj conditioner for a couple of weeks now and I've been noticing a losening of the patter towards the front.

Has any of you experienced a looser curl pattern with amla/bhingraj?

belleaenca

Back to top Go down

Does Amla loosen the curl pattern?  Empty Re: Does Amla loosen the curl pattern?

Post by ajsimmons8 23rd January 2011, 5:41 pm

I've use amla in my henna treatment and also in my DC treatments with no loosening of my curl pattern. Actually, amla is used to retain your curl pattern. Hopefully, some of the other ladies will chime in since I've only been using henna and other Ayurveda powder for a few weeks.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Does Amla loosen the curl pattern?  Empty Re: Does Amla loosen the curl pattern?

Post by envizionj 23rd January 2011, 11:20 pm

Strange as I have never experienced curl loosening. scratch It may be your Cassia that weighed down your hair initially and you did not notice. Henna and Cassia (henna without color) will weigh down your tresses and loosen your curl pattern over time. I personally always add amla powder to my henna mix. What brand of conditioner are you using? I agree with AJSimmons that amla keeps the curls from loosening and Bringraj (aka Maka) helps with hair fall and alopecia. What products have you been using to groom your tresses? flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by belleaenca 23rd January 2011, 11:46 pm

I've only used Cassia once about 2 months ago, so I don't think that was it. And I've used the amla conditioner 3 times now. I've mixed it with Suave's tropical coconut and vatika oil.

My usual routine now consist of the suave shea&almond shampoo n conditioner - my hair really likes it. I DT every time I wash n I co-wash once or twice a week in btn washes.

I'm a little perplexed. Lol Maybe I should try cassia again instead of amla bc I know that I def saw more curl def when I used it that one time.

Thanks for all ur thoughts.
P.s. Sorry for all the abbreviations, I'm writing from my bb n its easier Wink

belleaenca

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 24th January 2011, 12:19 am

Vatika oil has henna in the mix, but I don't know what ratio so the henna may be loosening your curl pattern. How much amla/bringraj do you add to your mix since it may not be enough to stop the potency of the henna? sunny

Here are the ingredients of the Vatika oil ...

http://www.dabur.com/Products-Personal%20Care-Vatika%20Hair%20Oil

8 Magical Ingredients

Triphala, Brahmi, Henna, Neem,
Lemon, Rosemary Oil, Kapurkachri,
Soya Extracts
flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by belleaenca 24th January 2011, 1:08 am

Omg, envizionj - I think you've solved the puzzle!!!! I completely forgot about henna in vatika oil! I'm using 2tbsp each of amla n bhringraj and a good squirt of the vatika oil. So you may be right. I'm going to try it sans the vatika oil next time n see what happens

Thanks for helping me figured this out, it was driving me crz and it was starting to concern me! Lol

belleaenca

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 24th January 2011, 1:31 am

Glad I could be of help belleaenca. sunny I often use amla, brahmi, and maka in my deep treatments and henna mixes, and I have no curl loosening so I had to find out the ingredients in your mixes. flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by belleaenca 24th January 2011, 2:38 pm

envizionj - thanks so much. I was trying not to freak out and failing miserable. I recently BC'd (Jan. 8th) dance and I've been loving and flaunting my curls ever since. I was getting really upset because I didn't know what was causing the difference in my curl pattern. I feel much better now and I will try my treatments sans vatika oil the next few times to see if that helps - i'm also planning to DT the heck out of my curls to whip them back into their natural shape. Very Happy

belleaenca

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyD 28th January 2011, 1:56 am

Well sorry to add to the confusion. However I am sitting under the dryer with my deep cond in and my reason for being out here tonight was to see if anyone that used amla noticed any loosening. The strange thing is I always use amla (to keep my curls from loosening) in my henna glosses (Jamila 2010-Sum Crop) and It has worked . But since I was out of henna...... I decided to experiment and do a "amla gloss" shall we call it assuming that I would get some conditioning benefits as well as a little tinge of color:-) and I am noticing that my curls seem looser actually now that I think about it...it's more like my hair has stretched and not as shrunken as normal. It is getting late therefore I will be doing some large twists tonight since I will be taking it back down on Saturday evening for hopefuly a fabulous party! I will chime in and give an update on my results.
LadyD
LadyD

Back to top Go down

Post by belleaenca 28th January 2011, 12:52 pm

LadyD, say it isn't so!!!!
Do please report back because now I'm scared to do my amla conditioners...

belleaenca

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 28th January 2011, 3:24 pm

I've been using Amla in my henna and Ayurveda treatments and haven't experienced any loosening of my curl patterns. From everything that I've read though is that you do experience a loosening of the curl pattern, it's only temporary and using a good moisturizer/condish should restore the curl pattern. Please keep us posted.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by BekkaPoo 28th January 2011, 4:07 pm

I am an amla fan, and when I do use it, it loosens my curls up a teesy tiny bit, but it's temporary. It is only looser for a few days and then my hair springs back to normal.
BekkaPoo
BekkaPoo

http://suprnatural.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by belleaenca 28th January 2011, 5:19 pm

Ok, ladies, thank you all for your input. For my part, I think what I have learn is that perhaps I shouldn't do amla treatments every week as I had been doing for the past few weeks. I'm going to cut back for a while until i see that my curls have sprung back. hay ya yay.

belleaenca

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 28th January 2011, 8:01 pm

LadyD wrote:Well sorry to add to the confusion. However I am sitting under the dryer with my deep cond in and my reason for being out here tonight was to see if anyone that used amla noticed any loosening. The strange thing is I always use amla (to keep my curls from loosening) in my henna glosses (Jamila 2010-Sum Crop) and It has worked . But since I was out of henna...... I decided to experiment and do a "amla gloss" shall we call it assuming that I would get some conditioning benefits as well as a little tinge of color:-) and I am noticing that my curls seem looser actually now that I think about it...it's more like my hair has stretched and not as shrunken as normal. It is getting late therefore I will be doing some large twists tonight since I will be taking it back down on Saturday evening for hopefuly a fabulous party! I will chime in and give an update on my results.
LadyD, what conditioner(s) are you using and how much amla powder are you mixing in it? flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by belleaenca 30th January 2011, 6:46 pm

Hi curlies,

So I did an overnight DT lastnight and I rinsed out today...I'm happy to report that my curls got about 75% of their bounce back. I'm going to do another DT next week and from the results I got today, I think I should be back 100% by next weekend. After that, I think I'm going to cut back my amla treatments to once a month...

afro

[You must be
registered and logged in to see this image.]

belleaenca

Back to top Go down

Post by LushAfroBush 31st January 2011, 3:37 pm

I do amla treatments very regularly and this loosening effect is only temporary. After rinsing out the amla, I don't shampoo until the next day. My hair is very strong and stretched. Once I shampoo, the strength is still there, but my coils are back.
LushAfroBush
LushAfroBush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down