CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 different textures??!!!

+16
nikkinixnicole
TerraD
LilyFlower8604
NoPhonyPony
cocoachanel
Mllebutterfly
Hazelbabe
Iomer
cutephantasm
browncrayola
LilMsPuddles
ChrsLvsBks
AfrikanLatina
so1913
mchlljy
earthychic77
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

3 different textures??!!! Empty 3 different textures??!!!

Post by earthychic77 6th December 2009, 2:25 am

I have been natural since 2/08. Initially due to lack of education, I wore sew ins and braids alot. When I began to learn how to style and maintain my hair I realized my hair is 3 different textures. Is this a common issue and is there anything that can be done about it?
earthychic77
earthychic77

Back to top Go down

3 different textures??!!! Empty Re: 3 different textures??!!!

Post by mchlljy 6th December 2009, 3:17 am

Its very common. I myself have 3 hair types (3c/4a/4b) and I had to just experiment with different products to see what worked. The Neutragena Triple Moisutre Leave-In worked for me.
mchlljy
mchlljy

http://www.mchlljy.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by so1913 6th December 2009, 3:23 am

I have 3 textures wavy top middle front area, curly sides middle back, and kinky at my hairline between my ear and temples on both sides. Each area reacts differently to the same styling product...it can be annoying, but I've learned to work with it.
so1913
so1913

http://www.twitter.com/so1913

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 6th December 2009, 12:41 pm

Its very common sis. Most natural heads have a combination of hair types to my understanding. Its normal. Smile
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by earthychic77 6th December 2009, 1:22 pm

mchlljy wrote:Its very common. I myself have 3 hair types (3c/4a/4b) and I had to just experiment with different products to see what worked. The Neutragena Triple Moisutre Leave-In worked for me.

from what I have learned this is my combo as well, I am quickly becoming a product junkie but I am also learning from my trial and error so I will add this product to my growing list and embrace my new addiction!
earthychic77
earthychic77

Back to top Go down

Post by earthychic77 6th December 2009, 1:28 pm

so1913 wrote:I have 3 textures wavy top middle front area, curly sides middle back, and kinky at my hairline between my ear and temples on both sides. Each area reacts differently to the same styling product...it can be annoying, but I've learned to work with it.

annoying it is!!! that is my biggest issue, what works on what sections. honestly i have been either braiding or pinning up my sides because it has been easier to manage this way. i guess that is working with it...or avoiding it, lol.
earthychic77
earthychic77

Back to top Go down

3 different textures??!!! Empty Different hair textures

Post by ChrsLvsBks 6th December 2009, 1:47 pm

It is not uncommon to have different textures. I have fine strands intermixed with my normal hair strands. In addition, I have coarse gray hairs. Like others have said, you have to learn how to use the products in those areas. I have to use more product on the areas above my ears and less product on my crown.

It is not only an issue of different textures but porosity and elasticity. Porous hair soaks up products yet less porous do not. The sides of my hair stays less moisturized than the rest of my hair. It can be very frustrating.

Elasticity has to do with how your hair springs back after stretching. The crown and sides are less elastic than other areas. It is hard to get the correct balance of moisture and protein when the hair is not all the same.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 7th December 2009, 3:09 am

I agree, very common to have multiple everything in your hair. My hair is different shades of brown and red, varying porosity, more curl retention on my right side and I'm 3b@ the hair line 3c@ the crown and 1@the nape. I always have to modify what I'm doing or be careful what I choose to do to my hair because I can come out looking crazier than usual if i'm not careful!
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by browncrayola 9th December 2009, 11:18 pm

GREAT I was concerned myself. I just finished transitioning and the front of my hair is very wavy. the crown is kinda kinky, so like 3c and the back is very loose curls like 3b so I have all the 3s in my hair and don't know WHAT to do with them.

Does anybody have similar? How do you all style your hair with a kinky middle?

Didn't mean to jack your question EarthyChic77!

D.
browncrayola
browncrayola

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm 9th December 2009, 11:52 pm

I have 3 dif textures...the crown has a very loose-no curl pattern
the edges are about a 4b the back is like a 3c and the rest is like a 4a....and I have shrinkage like CRAZY!!! my hair is a little longer than chin length when curly, when straight the back is bra strap length and the front is armpit length!
cutephantasm
cutephantasm

Back to top Go down

Post by Iomer 12th December 2009, 1:26 am

I have more than 3 textures! I would say there are 5-6 distinct textures, probably more that I can't detect. I think it's because I have 3c,4a, and 4b but then those same types only in the wave form. It amazes me that the first inch of my edges is 4b but then right behind that with no transition at all is 3c waves and sprinkled in that 3-4 inches of hair is little 4a coils.I still have relaxed ends, but my hair grows the same as it did when I was 13/14 so I know what it will be like. I don't know where I got these hair genes from, because my mom has a full head of directly between 3c,4a hair. She did have a fro when she was in college though. . . lol

I am curious to see if I will have a fro all over or just in certain parts. Before my hair was permed I didn't really have a fro, but my hair was never at the length mine will be when I BC. I just remember it being a tangled mess. hahahaa
Iomer
Iomer

http://naturaleighc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazelbabe 22nd December 2009, 12:27 am

pwatem wrote:I have more than 3 textures! I would say there are 5-6 distinct textures, probably more that I can't detect. I think it's because I have 3c,4a, and 4b but then those same types only in the wave form. It amazes me that the first inch of my edges is 4b but then right behind that with no transition at all is 3c waves and sprinkled in that 3-4 inches of hair is little 4a coils.I still have relaxed ends, but my hair grows the same as it did when I was 13/14 so I know what it will be like. I don't know where I got these hair genes from, because my mom has a full head of directly between 3c,4a hair. She did have a fro when she was in college though. . . lol

I have a similar issue [if that what yall want to call it]. I've been natural have my life but it wasn't till a couple years ago that i started doing more natural styles. I realized early on that i couldn't really do wash and go styles because my top middle sections is really wavy like maybe a 2c but the rest ranges from 3c to 4a [its crazy] i do alot of wet sets when i wear my hair out [i braid or twist the 2c parts in smaller pieces to help the curls last as long as the other texture] and use a little more holding product when i do two-strand twist, so they won't unravel. I love my hair but sometime im very envious of curlys and natural ladies who can do the wash-n-go.
Hazelbabe
Hazelbabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mllebutterfly 24th December 2009, 7:09 am

I know I have different textures but I'm not very good at hair typing. What do the letters mean? Does anyone know of a website explaining different hair types and textures.?

Mllebutterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 27th December 2009, 3:06 pm

Mllebutterfly wrote:I know I have different textures but I'm not very good at hair typing. What do the letters mean? Does anyone know of a website explaining different hair types and textures.?
You can go to naturallycurly.com. They have Andre's hair typing system there and explain the different types. I personally think hair typing is very subjective. What one may think is 3b another may think it is 3c? Here is a quick break down.

1 - Straight hair
2 - Wavy (a - c ranges with 'a' being the less wavy more straight)
3 - Loose curl (a - c ranges from big curls, 'a', think large barrel curling iron to size of pen, 'c')
4 - Tight curl (a - b range from coffee stirrer size, 'a', to no curl)

As far as texture, a great resource for me was http://livecurlylivefree.com/. The author explains how important texture, elasticity and porosity are to selecting the correct hair products. I rarely have a bad hair day because I follow her advice. When I do not, I have not so good hair days (bobby pins come to my rescue on those days)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .

Last edited by ChrsLvsBks on 27th December 2009, 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correct formatting)
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cocoachanel 31st December 2009, 9:38 am

I have 4a I hair in the front, 4b hair in the back and 3c hair at the crown. I think the thing that helps my hair the most is weekly deep conditioning with Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Mask.

Your hair is quite fabulous btw earthychic Smile
cocoachanel
cocoachanel

http://perfectiongranted.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPhonyPony 31st December 2009, 4:24 pm

i have major issues with different textures and their various degrees of FRIZZ (which should be a 4-letter word when it comes to hair!). i've spent the last 14 months transitioning and i've never worn my hair out because of how difficult it is to style the different textures of my hair without certain sections becoming big frizzballs. soooo, thank you earthychic for starting this discussion! i'm taking notes Smile
NoPhonyPony
NoPhonyPony

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyFlower8604 3rd January 2010, 4:16 pm

Very common, I also have three textures. I'm 4a in my front, 3b in my top or middle and 3c in my back.
LilyFlower8604
LilyFlower8604

http://xclusivelyjune.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by earthychic77 7th January 2010, 1:44 am

vintagenarcissa wrote:I have 4a I hair in the front, 4b hair in the back and 3c hair at the crown. I think the thing that helps my hair the most is weekly deep conditioning with Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Mask.

Your hair is quite fabulous btw earthychic [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

thanks!!!
earthychic77
earthychic77

Back to top Go down

Post by earthychic77 7th January 2010, 1:47 am

NoPhonyPony wrote:i have major issues with different textures and their various degrees of FRIZZ (which should be a 4-letter word when it comes to hair!). i've spent the last 14 months transitioning and i've never worn my hair out because of how difficult it is to style the different textures of my hair without certain sections becoming big frizzballs. soooo, thank you earthychic for starting this discussion! i'm taking notes [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

No problem, I knew someone here could give suggestions as well as encouragement knowing I am not the only one. I have gotten alot better with dealing with it and as my hair continues to grow it has become less of a headache...still a headache just not a migraine!
earthychic77
earthychic77

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 18th January 2010, 10:38 pm

I too struggle with multiple textures. My left side is 2c/3b! How that happened I do not know! The rest of my hair is 4a/b
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkinixnicole 22nd January 2010, 12:52 am

I'm so glad this is common! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] With the amount of textures i have in this one head of mine, the 1234abc classification makes it no easier [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] lol! my head consists of the following:
- kinky/curly hair in the back
- wavy hair in the middle
- the best description for the front is a frizzball.. its not curly, its not straight... its just there and and its up and out lol
- curly and soft at the sides (NOT a good thing... braids have ruined these poor things!)
nikkinixnicole
nikkinixnicole

Back to top Go down

Post by Alana 23rd January 2010, 3:54 pm

I have 4 different textures

4a/b/c and a bit of 3c at the crown

it is very common!
Alana
Alana

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachtree 26th March 2010, 3:58 am

I have several textures also.
Peachtree
Peachtree

Back to top Go down

Post by CreoleLady88 26th March 2010, 11:39 pm

if you were to split my head down the middle, the left side is 3a/3b, and the right side is 3b/3c.....my hair is short right now so its kinda noticeable, so i try to stretch the heck out of the right side lol
CreoleLady88
CreoleLady88

Back to top Go down

Post by Starlight 15th April 2010, 2:04 am

This is very common. I also have 3 different textures.
Starlight
Starlight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next