CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recent decision to go natural

3 posters

Go down

Recent decision to go natural Empty Recent decision to go natural

Post by miah_23_ncb 21st January 2011, 2:55 am

Hello ladies, I made the recent decision to go natural. I have been thinking about it since last year and finally decide to go for it. I used to get a relaxer every 73 days, but am trying to gather info before day 74 comes. What kind of moisturizers would you all recommend for my transition (are these water based or oil)?
I used to wash my hair every other week, but Im not sure how often to do it now(Also would appreciate recommendations on shampoos as well).
And I read a lot about deep conditioning, what is this? I sit under the dryer every time I was my hair, is this bad? What type of conditioning should I be doing?

TIA

miah_23_ncb

Back to top Go down

Recent decision to go natural Empty Re: Recent decision to go natural

Post by letha 21st January 2011, 10:00 am

Everyone's hair is different and its mostly a lot of trial and error.. What works for me may not work for you. I am 13 months in my transition and I will tell you what worked for me. I will tell you to start off simple at 1st because all of this information can be over whelming at 1st.. Research, Research, Research..

I noticed that using shampoo now just tangles my hair all together.. So I stopped. I co-wash which means I wash my hair with conditioner. The conditioners I use is Aussie Moist, Yes to Carrots and Herbal Essence Conditioners, Suave Almond and Shea butter, Tressemmee. As I got further into my transition I was noticing it was harder to detangle.. Then I started to Pre-poo which is I would use any of those conditioner I mentioned above on my hair b4 I co-wash.. I would mix these oils with them hemseed oil, Sunflower oil and Wheat Germ Oil..

Then I would co-wash which for me pre-poo 1st help to loosen my tangles.. Then I would Deep Condition.. That is mostly using a Deep Condtioner such as Panteen Curly Series Deep Conditioning Treatment, Darcy Bontanicals DC, Shescenit DC.. That's just some that I use.. I would either sit under the dryer for the allowed time or use my steamer to DC.. After that I would Detangle.. I mostly wear my hair in a damp bun.. What I use to moisturize with was a spritz I use with water, aloe vera juice and Oil.. I would spray that on my hair everymorning b4 work and at night and tie my hair down..

Sorry I know this is a lot but its all about find what works on your hair. Some people don't deep condition at all.. When I sit under the dryer I use a shower cap and when I sit under the steamer I use no cap just let the steam hit my scalp and hair..

Shampoo you can find some with no sulfates in them they are drying..

What is your regimen now and what products are you using?
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by miah_23_ncb 21st January 2011, 10:29 pm

letha wrote:Everyone's hair is different and its mostly a lot of trial and error.. What works for me may not work for you. I am 13 months in my transition and I will tell you what worked for me. I will tell you to start off simple at 1st because all of this information can be over whelming at 1st.. Research, Research, Research..

I noticed that using shampoo now just tangles my hair all together.. So I stopped. I co-wash which means I wash my hair with conditioner. The conditioners I use is Aussie Moist, Yes to Carrots and Herbal Essence Conditioners, Suave Almond and Shea butter, Tressemmee. As I got further into my transition I was noticing it was harder to detangle.. Then I started to Pre-poo which is I would use any of those conditioner I mentioned above on my hair b4 I co-wash.. I would mix these oils with them hemseed oil, Sunflower oil and Wheat Germ Oil..

Then I would co-wash which for me pre-poo 1st help to loosen my tangles.. Then I would Deep Condition.. That is mostly using a Deep Condtioner such as Panteen Curly Series Deep Conditioning Treatment, Darcy Bontanicals DC, Shescenit DC.. That's just some that I use.. I would either sit under the dryer for the allowed time or use my steamer to DC.. After that I would Detangle.. I mostly wear my hair in a damp bun.. What I use to moisturize with was a spritz I use with water, aloe vera juice and Oil.. I would spray that on my hair every morning b4 work and at night and tie my hair down..

Sorry I know this is a lot but its all about find what works on your hair. Some people don't deep condition at all.. When I sit under the dryer I use a shower cap and when I sit under the steamer I use no cap just let the steam hit my scalp and hair..

Shampoo you can find some with no sulfates in them they are drying..

What is your regimen now and what products are you using?

right now I use Sizta to sizta products(oil, daily oil moisturizer,shampoo, conditioner & raw coconut oil). I wash every other week and sit under the dryer with my conditioner. Every other day I moisturize and have been wearing my hair in a low bun. At night I wear in a loose low bun with satin scarf.

miah_23_ncb

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 22nd January 2011, 9:35 am

Those are good products and I thought they had a Deep Conditioner..I used them b4. I don't see anything wrong with you using the products that you have now.. Sometimes when people get further into their transition they state that the products that worked for them b4 don't work anymore.. When you get further into your transition you may see that you need to wash more and moisturize more also.. I moisturize my hair everyday... 2 times a day in the morning and at night b4 bed..

At night when you wear the satin scarf start moisturizing your hair then also..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by miah_23_ncb 22nd January 2011, 6:21 pm

letha wrote:Those are good products and I thought they had a Deep Conditioner..I used them b4. I don't see anything wrong with you using the products that you have now.. Sometimes when people get further into their transition they state that the products that worked for them b4 don't work anymore.. When you get further into your transition you may see that you need to wash more and moisturize more also.. I moisturize my hair everyday... 2 times a day in the morning and at night b4 bed..

At night when you wear the satin scarf start moisturizing your hair then also..

Ok thank you sooo much for the advice. I think the best thing for me right now is to be patient. And adjust my routine when needed.

miah_23_ncb

Back to top Go down

Post by jAmbre 26th January 2011, 1:07 pm

Hello Miah.

I too just decided to go natural myself. This will be the second time that I transition and I found that braiding, twisting, and keeping my hair well hydrated helped with the process. I especially loved Creme of Nature products. Cholesterol treatments also help.

Good luck!
jAmbre
jAmbre

Back to top Go down

Post by miah_23_ncb 26th January 2011, 7:16 pm

jAmbre wrote:Hello Miah.

I too just decided to go natural myself. This will be the second time that I transition and I found that braiding, twisting, and keeping my hair well hydrated helped with the process. I especially loved Creme of Nature products. Cholesterol treatments also help.

Good luck!

Thank you. Wish well on your journey as well

miah_23_ncb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down