CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair stylist sabotage??

5 posters

Go down

Hair stylist sabotage?? Empty Hair stylist sabotage??

Post by Bre1021 16th January 2011, 3:15 pm

Hey everyone!!

I'm new to the site and this is my first post! Anyway, I haven't permed my hair in almost 4 years( I did a big chop immediately at this time as well.) I just started REALLY taking care of my hair about a year ago. I started getting sew-ins. Last time I went to get a sew-in, my natural hair was shoulder length. So I asked my stylist if I should stop getting weaves and she's like "No.." Then I asked what she thought I should do to wear my hair naturally and her response was "Your hair is way too soft to do anything with, so don't bother." I was really shocked and let it go. Am I crazy to think that she is just upset that I won't be spending lots of money on weaves?? I really don't know anything about natural hair and I really want to start rocking my curls. Help!!^_^

Bre1021

Back to top Go down

Hair stylist sabotage?? Empty Re: Hair stylist sabotage??

Post by Madeaj 16th January 2011, 3:37 pm

Welcome.
Oh yeah, she doesn't want to lose a customer. That is why she doesn't think you should rock your natural hair. Look around this forum, you will find every kind of hair, styles, and methods of taking care of your hair. My sister's hair is like candy fluff its so soft. If you closed your eyes and touched it, you might think you were touching air its so fine. She rocks plenty of styles with no problems.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by makeupvixen 16th January 2011, 3:45 pm

Actually if you read the articles online about the Black Owned Beauty Salons taking a major hit in the recession you may can understand why. If you look at if from different aspects... (but I'm not defending her)

People's money is funny because of job loss, so maybe she is loosing clients left and right. I know that I have had to take a lower paying job and I can't afford to be getting my hair done (permed or just a condition and flat iron) every two weeks. So that's about a $60-100 lost for her per client.

i don't know if she is in a shop but Booth Rent has gone up because people just aren't getting their hair done as much, electric bills, waters bills, mortgage, all come into effect with booth rent. So she may have to pay more money out of her pocket and with less clients it may be an issue for her.

Yes there is a natural movement going on for so many reasons. People don't want the chemicals, people want a change, people can't afford to get their hair done, people want a more natural way of life, for whatever the reason people just aren't going to salons as much. I don't like spending 6 hours of my day after a 9 hour work day just for a condition and flat iron, plus all the guys coming in asking for a "quick shave" and my beautician letting them cut in front of me got on my last freaking nerves, so I do my flat irons at home (I stopped adding heat months ago though).

Then there are other things to take in to account, her personal situation (bills, children, school, whatever). Maybe she is loosing a lot of business for whatever reason and you would be another lost for her.

I;m not defending her at all but it's just things to think about. I talked to my Beautician and she thought it was great for me to go natural and she wanted to learn some things from me as I learned. We are facebook friends and we talk all the time about natural hair and how to take care of it, so now she can offer a more natural choices for her clients, heck it's bringing her more business just because I went natural and she wanted to learn about it.

So she just may very well be upset, but hell, it's your hair, your time, your money! I would say spend time on boards, ask tons of questions, use the search engine to follow old threads and learn from them, try YouTube and you well see so many naturals online talkin teachin and preachin, lol. We are all here for you!
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

http://makeupvixen.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bre1021 16th January 2011, 3:57 pm

Thanks ladies!!

Don't get me wrong, I totally get the money aspect of it! As it is I moved so the salon is definitely further away. And when I told her that she was happy that I still go there and then it went downhill lol. It was awkward too because her co-worker was encouraging me to go natural and saying how awesome my hair was. My stylist was giving her side eye like only a mother can give lol.

I'm definitely going to be all over the boards asking tons of questions! I can't wait for all the fabulous advice you all have. This has beena bit of a journey for me. I lost 100+ pounds so now I'm ready for a complete makeover!!!

Bre1021

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 16th January 2011, 4:38 pm

Congrats on your weight loss Bre..
I'm sure you'll learn a lot here about natural hair...the ladies are super nice here.

As for your stylist, I think she sees you as an income that she's about to lose...
So don't listen to her...
fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 16th January 2011, 5:21 pm

Welcome! Congrats on your weight loss! It sounds like your stylist doesn't have your Best interest at heart. All she sees is $$$$$. If, in fact, your hair is 'too soft' you can try a protein treatment but it's no reason that you can't wear your hair.
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Post by Bre1021 16th January 2011, 7:18 pm

Thanks so much chicas!! I agree, I definitely think all she sees is $!

A protein treatment? I'll look into that. Thanks for the tip!<3

Bre1021

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down