CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battle of the Jheri Curl Juice

+6
justicenga
Curlock Holmes
Fleur
LaToya28
Renny
DreamMerchant
10 posters

Go down

Battle of the Jheri Curl Juice Empty Battle of the Jheri Curl Juice

Post by DreamMerchant 9th January 2011, 3:39 am

Ok curlies, since I have been cutting back on my hair goodies, I decided write a review on how all three of the "juices" worked for me. I tried the Hawaiian Silky 14-n-1, Scurl and Care Free Curl.

First product is the Hawaiian silky 14 -n-1. I liked this product better than the other two because it has more natural ingredients. This product had a better smell. It has a fruity scent. It is not greasy and it does not drip or run when you are applying it. CONS: Made my hair too soft, I could not hold a twist out with it.

Second product is the Luster's Scurl. No good stuff really in it but glycerin. I do not think they need to make the product blue. Really, what does it matter if you add coloring to it. Anyway, I could do twists with it and they would stay rather well. It was not greasy but it had the activator smell too it. The tube is rather small too. I used half a tube one sitting. CONS: Not as thick as the HS 14-n-1. Runs a bit but not bad. Activator smell. Small tube. It was a bit sticky on the hands but not in the hair

Third product is Care Free Curl. It is runny and has the same smell as the Scurl. It is a golden color. It is greasy and will leave a bit of residue if you place your head somewhere. I could do a two strand twist with this product too but not as good as Scurl. You get more than the Scurl but about the same as the HS 14-n-1. CONS: greasy head. Activator smell and a tad sticky.

All three are great for moisture. I have been using the activators to keep my ends juicy and it is working. I can do without care free curl. I am still not sure if I will buy the Scurl again but Hawaiian Silky will always have a special place in my hair cupboard, I mean heart!
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Battle of the Jheri Curl Juice Empty Re: Battle of the Jheri Curl Juice

Post by Renny 9th January 2011, 4:19 am

Thanks for the review. I have the Hawaiian Silky. I've only tried it twice adn it turned my hair into a cotton ball. I'm not sure what to do with it. I can't imagine it working for twist for me. Guess I'm waiting to swap it at a meetup.

Funny about adding coloring to the Scurl. Very Happy
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 9th January 2011, 11:48 am

Great reviews. I've used all of these...I think. You mentioned that the Scurl was in a tube. Are you talking about the "jel" (I think that's the way it's spelled)

I have to agree, HS 14n1 was definitely my favorite of the three. It was moisturizing, but without the activator smell.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur 9th January 2011, 12:42 pm

Ive used the Care Free Curl, (the one in the gold bottle and red top), on my daughter's hair for years with no greasy residue at all. Her hair was always supremely moisturized and left no product on my hands when I touched it. Scratch that, it was greasy after I applied it, but dried with no problem.

I really want to try the Hawaiian Silky that you reviewed. This sounds like another great product that may work for her. I'll get some today and get back to you. Thanks for the review!!!!
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 9th January 2011, 4:19 pm

Renny wrote:Thanks for the review. I have the Hawaiian Silky. I've only tried it twice adn it turned my hair into a cotton ball. I'm not sure what to do with it. I can't imagine it working for twist for me. Guess I'm waiting to swap it at a meetup.

Funny about adding coloring to the Scurl. Very Happy

Hey Renny, the only way I got the Hawaiian Silky to work on my twists as to squirt half a pump into a dollop of eco-styler get and put it on and then twist. I had great hold, shine and moisture. Hmmmm, I forgot about doing that!
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 9th January 2011, 4:21 pm

LaToya28 wrote:Great reviews. I've used all of these...I think. You mentioned that the Scurl was in a tube. Are you talking about the "jel" (I think that's the way it's spelled)

I have to agree, HS 14n1 was definitely my favorite of the three. It was moisturizing, but without the activator smell.

Yes, the Scurl was the "gel". I am not sure if it is considered a holding gel or if it was just because it as gel consistency.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 9th January 2011, 4:22 pm

fleur wrote:Ive used the Care Free Curl, (the one in the gold bottle and red top), on my daughter's hair for years with no greasy residue at all. Her hair was always supremely moisturized and left no product on my hands when I touched it. Scratch that, it was greasy after I applied it, but dried with no problem.

I really want to try the Hawaiian Silky that you reviewed. This sounds like another great product that may work for her. I'll get some today and get back to you. Thanks for the review!!!!

Fleur, maybe I as heavy handed! lol I can get carried away sometimes!
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur 9th January 2011, 7:51 pm

DreamMerchant, I am reporting back. I bought the Hawaiian Silky for my girls and I'm in love!!!!! Their hair is so shiny and silky. Also, the shrinkage is barely noticeable. Both of them are in here just whipping their hair, lol. I've used Darcy's, Qhemet's, KC, and several other organic products for their hair, but none of them gave the fabulous results that the Hawaiian Silky provided. Glycerin is king for their hair, so this product is a no-brainer. I don't even think of it as a hardcore jheri juice, but a great moisturizer.

Thank you so much ladies for the feedback. This one's a winner.
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 9th January 2011, 9:04 pm

ya'll are about to have me get up tomorrow morning and buy some Hawaiian silky..SHAME ON YOU ALL! lol!
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 9th January 2011, 10:58 pm

@Fleur, I as heavy handed with the Care Free curl. I put a tablespoon on each side of my daughters head and it was perfect. There was no residue, no greasiness. It as great! I am glad you like the HS 14-n-1

@ Curlock, since you are not a PJ, go ahead and get a little Silky! lol
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10th January 2011, 2:27 am

there are some good curl activators out there and no all of them aren't greasy or jheri curl juice type.... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by justicenga 10th January 2011, 1:45 pm

The 14 n 1 makes my hair super soft too. I like it though.
justicenga
justicenga

Back to top Go down

Post by CocaColaCutie 10th January 2011, 1:56 pm

I tried the 14 n 1, but it made my hair sticky. I swapped it away.

I like the Scurl in the spray bottle.
CocaColaCutie
CocaColaCutie

Back to top Go down

Post by MsKayDee 11th January 2011, 12:02 am

What type hair would you classify your hair @ dreammerchant and @cocccolacutie?
MsKayDee
MsKayDee

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 11th January 2011, 12:23 am

LadyDivah wrote:What type hair would you classify your hair @ dreammerchant and @cocccolacutie?

LadyDivah-I really do not know! I do know that I am not a 1 or 2. I was thinking maybe a 4 something because I do not have a curl pattern. When I look at other 4's my hair looks nothing like theirs. I look at the 3's but I do not think I fit their either. I have fine/thin strands but I do not know. Here is a pic and then you can see hat I am talking about.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur 11th January 2011, 1:34 am

Dream, I never told you but you are my daughter's hair twin. That is some strange hair indeed, lol. She has those clumpy waves, but then it coils just at the ends.
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 11th January 2011, 6:17 pm

fleur wrote:Dream, I never told you but you are my daughter's hair twin. That is some strange hair indeed, lol. She has those clumpy waves, but then it coils just at the ends.

I knew it was strange! lol! I would love to know more about my hair but I cannot categorize it so I am leaving it alone. What do you think your daughter's hair is?
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 11th January 2011, 7:03 pm

i love s-curl, but don't like the smell. maybe this spring/summer, i'll try the hs 14n1 Very Happy
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 11th January 2011, 10:37 pm

Karyn wrote:i love s-curl, but don't like the smell. maybe this spring/summer, i'll try the hs 14n1 Very Happy

Karyn, here is what I did today. I was getting ready to put Julian's hair in two pony tails but when I opened that Scurl bottle, I was not in the mood to smell activator so I went to my stash of essential oils. I gave them each a sniff and narrowed it down to Lemon Grass Oil and Lemon Oil. The Lemon grass oil smells just like pledge or fruit loops. THe lemon oil smells just like a peeled lemon. I let Julian smell each one and she wanted the "fruit loops" one. I put one drop per dollop and rubbed my hands together and put it in her hair. She ent to day care smelling like Pledge and her sitter said "Julian, you smell so sweet and yummy!". The scent leaves in about 2 hours depending on how much you use. I am going to try bergamont or frankenscence on my hair tomorrow morning. I am now looking forward to my twists again since I can have a different scent every morning!
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur 12th January 2011, 9:30 pm

DreamMerchant wrote:
fleur wrote:Dream, I never told you but you are my daughter's hair twin. That is some strange hair indeed, lol. She has those clumpy waves, but then it coils just at the ends.

I knew it was strange! lol! I would love to know more about my hair but I cannot categorize it so I am leaving it alone. What do you think your daughter's hair is?

I don't follow the Andre Walker hair type system, but you are the first person I've seen whose hair is mirror image to hers! If I had to describe it I would say its fine/medium texture, normal porosity, and wavy/curly.
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by AuroraE95 12th February 2011, 8:01 pm

DreamMerchant wrote:
LadyDivah wrote:What type hair would you classify your hair @ dreammerchant and @cocccolacutie?

LadyDivah-I really do not know! I do know that I am not a 1 or 2. I was thinking maybe a 4 something because I do not have a curl pattern. When I look at other 4's my hair looks nothing like theirs. I look at the 3's but I do not think I fit their either. I have fine/thin strands but I do not know. Here is a pic and then you can see hat I am talking about.

i looooooove your hair

AuroraE95

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down