CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thick-Thin Hair??

+11
misskris
Nikcoils
MelMelBee
Punkyskunk
Renny
curlista
Allycoils
Sthrngal92
creolebeauty1
mizcreativelyme
Ambitious_Tiff
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Thick-Thin Hair?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thick-Thin Hair??

Post by Neems 16th February 2011, 12:58 pm

OMG, I thought it was just me. My hair is fine and very dense, too. It's gets so annoying because my twists look flimsy and wearing an afro no longer looks good. When I was at TWA stage it was all good, but now I have the see-through ends. I'm beginning to wonder if something else is a matters because my hair is breaking more often and feels a lot thinner than usual. What gives, lol??
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 16th February 2011, 2:01 pm

I feel you on the see though ends. That'w why I mostly wear it curly though. Idk about the breakage. Maybe you need to add some protein in your reggie somewhere. Is your hair dry at all?
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 16th February 2011, 2:15 pm

Yeah, it has been really dry, fragile and brittle lately. But I'm not sure what to do anymore. Any suggestions??
Neems
Neems

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 16th February 2011, 3:31 pm

Well, I can tell you what I do. I have had very little breakage or shedding. I only wash my hair 1-2 times a week. Mid week I cowash. I do an overnight prepoo on Friday nights with coconut oil, castor oil, and EVOO. The next morning I use a shampoo bar to wash my hair. I still towel dry believe it or not, lol. I always forget to use x,y, or z. I just kinda let I rest there and soak up the excess water. Then i apply my water based leave in and smooth on the coconut oil to seal. My hair is in excellent shape. no split ends and I get very few SSK's. I spray leave in on my hair as needed. I also use stylers that have water as the first ingredient. I like Shea Moisture's Curl Enhancing Smoothie with a dab of IC Fantasia Gel for hold. I will try to find the article that made me such an avid fan of coconut oil... Tell me what you are doing now and maybe we can see what may need tweaking...
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 16th February 2011, 3:52 pm

Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 17th February 2011, 11:58 am

Neems,

If you're not protein sensitive definitely add protein. I had the same problem a few months back and added Apogee Kertain 2 Minute treatment to my reggie and it instantly strenghtened my hair.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 17th February 2011, 12:23 pm

@Ambitious_Tiff Thanks for the articles. The Natural Haven is a great resource. Her stuff is so on point.

@Renny How would I know if my hair is protein sensitive?

So I washed my hair last night with last night with Giovanni 50:50 Shampoo and conditioned with the 50:50 Conditioner. Then rinsed. Before washing I detangled by hair and put it in sections. I did a final cold water rinse with water and apple cider vinegar.

My hair still feel a bit dry after I washed everything out but I know it takes time to correct moisture/protein probelms. The coils, since my hair is not curly clumped together but the ends snagged A LOT. I used the Giovanni direct leave in to two-strand twist my hair and sealed with Vatika oil.

Next time I plan to deep condition with a mixture of AOHSR and the Giovanni 50:50 conditioner and see if that makes a difference. How does that sound?

Neems
Neems

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 17th February 2011, 2:53 pm

The 2 minute Keratin Treatment is pretty good. I have never understood the whole protein sensitivity thing since hair is made of protein...

IMHO, I think using shampoo and AVC (even diluted) may just be too much for your hair. Try adding a prepoo to see if that will help any or just doing one or the other. You may also need a trim. I definitely think DC'ing can only help correct a moisture problem. I need to do one myself...
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Aunt_Lola 17th February 2011, 5:35 pm

Add me to this group.

My hair is baby fine and I'm always looking for ways to make it look thicker.
Only problem is that if my curls are defined it looks thin.
When I fluff it up it looks bigger, but poofy with no curl definition.

Oh well. lol

Ambitious_Tiff wrote:The 2 minute Keratin Treatment is pretty good. I have never understood the whole protein sensitivity thing since hair is made of protein...

IMHO, I think using shampoo and AVC (even diluted) may just be too much for your hair. Try adding a prepoo to see if that will help any or just doing one or the other. You may also need a trim. I definitely think DC'ing can only help correct a moisture problem. I need to do one myself...

I agree that the shampoo & ACV may be too drying. And Giovanni has a lot of protein to it in my experience.

Protein sensitive -for me- has to do with my hair being less porous(probably because I've been using henna). So if I use something with protein, instead of it building up or strengthening my hair it just sticks to the outside of my hair and makes it stiff. My ends will get brittle, feel rough, and they stick together and seem to tie themselves in knots. Evil or Very Mad Too much protein is the debil for my hair.

Aunt_Lola

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 17th February 2011, 5:40 pm

I understand now. That makes sense. Thanx Aunt_Lola.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Aunt_Lola 17th February 2011, 5:42 pm

Ambitious_Tiff wrote:I understand now. That makes sense. Thanx Aunt_Lola.

No problem.
Glad I could help. Smile

Aunt_Lola

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 17th February 2011, 7:02 pm

Ambitious_Tiff wrote:The 2 minute Keratin Treatment is pretty good. I have never understood the whole protein sensitivity thing since hair is made of protein...

Thanks!

I usually pre-poo with olive and coconut oil or castor oil but got lazy last night. And sometimes I do an amla/maka treatment. Can those be drying,too? And I work out at least 2 times a week and sweat a lot and so I thought the shampoo would help get rid of the residue/salts. Guess I was wrong. Now I'm going to read all my labels to see what isn't working. I thought I had it all figured out a few months ago and the weather changed, lol.
Neems
Neems

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 17th February 2011, 8:59 pm

I'm sorry. I am not very familiar with the ayurvedic treatments yet. What are maka and amla for? I feel you on the salty workout hair. When you prepoo is it any better with the dryness and knots? I cowash midweek and my hair seems to be fine. I will keep a close eye out for any changes though. Lol, you do have it figured out, you just gotta adapt with the times. Lol, in this case the seasons...
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 18th February 2011, 12:09 am

Neems wrote:

Thanks!

I usually pre-poo with olive and coconut oil or castor oil but got lazy last night. And sometimes I do an amla/maka treatment. Can those be drying,too? And I work out at least 2 times a week and sweat a lot and so I thought the shampoo would help get rid of the residue/salts. Guess I was wrong. Now I'm going to read all my labels to see what isn't working. I thought I had it all figured out a few months ago and the weather changed, lol.

Yes, ayurvedic powders can be very drying to your hair. I add a cone-free conditioner to my amla treatments to help avoid the dryness. If you want to skip adding the condish, make sure you use a moisturizing leave in and seal with oil.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 18th February 2011, 12:10 am

Neems wrote:

Thanks!

Yes, ayurvedic powders can be very drying to your hair. I add a cone-free conditioner to my amla treatments to help avoid the dryness. If you want to skip adding the condish, make sure you use a moisturizing leave in and seal with oil.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2