CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Henna & Burning

5 posters

Go down

Henna & Burning Empty Henna & Burning

Post by atangledmess 27th December 2010, 2:58 am

Hey Folks,

This is the second time I'm hennaing and it's from a batch that I froze. I felt a burning sensation around both sides of my scalp at the temples. However, this was after putting the plastic bag and then a towel on my head. I evidentially washed the henna from the areas that were burning and now I'm good. I was wondering if anybody who has henna experienced any burning sensation. The product name is rainbow and I mixed green tea, yogurt, honey, and some jojoba oil the first time and added nothing additional to the unfrozen batch. Thanks for your responses.

atangledmess

Back to top Go down

Henna & Burning Empty Re: Henna & Burning

Post by DreamMerchant 27th December 2010, 5:01 am

I had itching the first couple of times I use henna but it went away the third or fourth time. Do you see any scalp irritation?
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by atangledmess 27th December 2010, 11:25 am

Hey DreamMerchant, I fell asleep with stuff in my hair (first time) and I just woke up. I will definitely check when I take it out in a few and let you know. I have an dermatology appt in Feb so if there's scalp irratation, which pray there isn't, I will have to sound the alarm woot!

atangledmess

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 27th December 2010, 5:40 pm

Hey atangledmess.

I have only henna'd once but I did have burning/tingling. BUT I used lemonjuice like a dummy and I think that's why it was. It didn't start thought until about the 4th hour of it being in. Next time I certainly will not be using lemon juice because it left some scabs and flaking for like 2+ weeks. You probably don't have any scalp irritation. I hope you don't.
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by atangledmess 27th December 2010, 7:20 pm

I checked after washing the rest of it out and didn't see any redness
sores. However, the true test will be during the week. I'll keep monitoring it and I'm going to throw the batch I used out. I also realized, way after the fact, that this time I put it on my scalp as I was applying it. When I did it
the first time, I didn't put it directly on my scalp. Furthermore, I have a nice lump (typically reaction for products that cause irratation) smack in the middle of my forehead near my hair line where the henna made contact from the plastic bag. Thanks for your response Suspect

atangledmess

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 28th December 2010, 1:29 am

yeah, mine took a couple days for it to really show signs of irritation. OOH I was so upset but oh well. It's all better now. It didn't damage my hair, just my scalp. And like you I applied it to my scalp as well, which now I know not to do. Hair only next time. ya live and ya learn!
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 28th December 2010, 9:21 am

Hmmm? I didn't experience any burning or scalp irritation. I got my henna from Mehandi Shop and their henna is guaranteed pure body art quality (BAQ) henna. There's another online shop, I think its called Henna Sooq, they sell BAQ henna too. Where did you get your henna and what kind was it? Maybe it had something other than henna mixed up in it. Article about Henna Dyes vs Pure Henna

Did you do a skin patch test before applying? I have to because I appear to be allergic or sensitive to everything. Adhesive, latex, perfume, metal, etc. I have a hard time with some hair products because of the scents and additives, but the henna made my scalp feel wonderful. No dryness, flakes or itchyness afterwards.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 28th December 2010, 6:45 pm

Hey Madeaj. Not sure if you're asking me or atangledmess (lol) but I got mine from butters-n-bars. but it was the lemon juice i used. the jamila i got was summer 2010 crop. i am certain it wasn't the henna itself. I did do a skin test and it was fine. But like I said it didn't start burning til about the 4th hour!!! I should have rinsed it out then but....oh well!! LOL
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by atangledmess 29th December 2010, 4:35 am

Hi Madeja, the brand was rainbow from whole foods and the first time I used it,
my scap didn't burn, it tingled some but didn't burn. The second time it did only around the temples, which I rinsed out. I ordered the BAQ, African something, from Mehandi shop and will use that from now on. So far, the area that was burning is sore, no visible signs of redness or developing sores. cheers Thanks for your response.

atangledmess

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 29th December 2010, 12:07 pm

Hi ATangled, MissKriss. The question was for both. I will have to remember the lemon juice thing. I used tea with my first henna and conditioner with the next two. I was wondering if I would get deeper results with the lemon. Based on what you have said, I think I will pass on the lemon.

Atangled, I have seen a few people use the rainbow henna but I am not familar with it, I hope your next batch goes better. Don't forget to do a skin test on the inside of your elbow.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 29th December 2010, 11:10 pm

Yeah, Madeaj. I would stick with the tea. I have to order mine so I can do another application. I was gonna use the leftovers from before and just not put it on my scalp but I think I will just trash it all. I dunno. What do y'all think? You think I can get away with just putting on the strands and away from the scalp?
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 4th January 2011, 3:23 am

There are allergic reactions to henna. People with GHP...something (a genetic disorder) should not use it.

Like Madeaj said, make sure you use a brand of henna that is trusted and read the label to make sure other chemicals are not added it it.

The only "side effect" I ever had was green pee the next day after the very first time that I henna'ed. After that it didn't happen again.

@misskris-Have you tried green tea with lemon? You won't have to add the lemon juice because it's already in the tea!
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

http://www.experiencestmattsumc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by atangledmess 9th January 2011, 11:14 pm

I think I figured out why certain areas of my scalp burned when I used the defrost batch of henna. Initially, I mixed it with yogurt and when I took it out of the fridg, it set over night and then some. The yogurt spoiled and turned into some scientific baterial thing and burned my scalp. I had more left over but took my time throwing it out and it stunk up my crib.

atangledmess

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down