CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

People are saying "U can't do a roller set on Natural Hair"?

+11
mizcreativelyme
krazy coils
blkbeauty2010
misskris
Butterfly125
Naturally Esq
rayray19
Sunshinecurls
CrAvInG_CuRlZ:)
Lynnieluve
Cupcake415
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

People are saying "U can't do a roller set on Natural Hair"? Empty People are saying "U can't do a roller set on Natural Hair"?

Post by Cupcake415 14th December 2010, 7:58 pm

Hey Naturals/Curlies Razz

Ok, so a while back I created a post about "roller sets", is it possible to do on natural hair, and asking what products to use...

I got a lot of different bounce repsonses:

-Of course u can do a roller set on Natural Hair
-You don't have to use heat
-A blow dryer is optional

Etc, etc... Well, I am determined to rock a Roller Set for NYE... I said to myself, "Maybe I will have the shop do it, since I have an event to go to"... A shop that I use to go to said "You HAVE to have a PERM in order to do a Roller Set".... Ummm, I really don't think that this is true... No

I mean, if I want the straight look, I have to blow dry it right? But I know for a fact that I do NOT have to perm it... I'm just wondering why people are always quick to throw in "U have to have a perm" for this or that... Sickining silent
Cupcake415
Cupcake415

Back to top Go down

People are saying "U can't do a roller set on Natural Hair"? Empty Re: People are saying "U can't do a roller set on Natural Hair"?

Post by Lynnieluve 14th December 2010, 8:37 pm

I did a roller set a few months back. I didnt let it dry completely so some of my hair was straight and some was frizzy (where it didnt dry). I rolled it the same way I did when I was relaxed (no blowdrying, I just sat under a hooded dryer). If it had dried completely it would have been really cute.

This is how it looked when I took the rollers out...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

People are saying "U can't do a roller set on Natural Hair"? Empty Re: People are saying "U can't do a roller set on Natural Hair"?

Post by CrAvInG_CuRlZ:) 14th December 2010, 8:44 pm

Yea the "you have to have a perm" comments..totally NOT true. Doesn't even make sense... Anyway, I have done a flexi rod set and i just sat under a hooded dryer for like 30 min and then let my air dry overnight (rods still in and wrapped up) the rest of the way. came out cute. Roots were a lil wavy and it was a lil frizzy like lynnie said but it was fine by me. Lasted for a few days too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunshinecurls 14th December 2010, 10:11 pm

I do roller sets all the time. As a matter of fact I did one two days ago I used perm rod rollers. I also have a video on youtube from last December when I did my first roller set, you can find me at blford7. Also I did a roller set with large rollers two or three weeks ago and it came out really cute!
Sunshinecurls
Sunshinecurls

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 14th December 2010, 10:32 pm

and how do you ladies style your roller set???
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 14th December 2010, 10:47 pm

I use snap on magnetic rollers for my roller sets. They keep my roots from puffing up and give me a good spiral set. Quick and easy to use. I bought them at Sally's.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 14th December 2010, 11:13 pm

I recently watched a YouTube video by MahoganyCurls on how to do a roller set. It was really, really cute when she was finished. Her hair was smooth, shiny, and bouncy.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 15th December 2010, 1:42 am

See, that's the thinking of dumb people!! I'm sorry but REALLY??? Why on earth would they think you HAVE to be relaxed to do a roller set??? Are you sure she is a licensed beautician??? LOL I have done one as well. I did have my hair straightened (either it was blow dried or flat ironed) and I slept w/rollers in. Hair came out really cute and curls stayed in. Also can do it on wet hair and use a heat bonnet, air dry whatever!!! See, they just wnat you to come spend money and kill your hair!!!!!! LOL SHEESH!!!! Mad
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cupcake415 15th December 2010, 1:31 pm

Very Happy Exactly... It seems like the Licensed Beauticians don't know as much, lol

This is why I don't go to the shop, and I am glad that I went natural, because only "I" know "MY" hair...

Well, I don't mind doing my own Roller Set, just thought I would save time, but at least I am saving money, lol

I plan to set my rollers while my hair is wet... I am using perm robs...
What products do any of you recommend?
Cupcake415
Cupcake415

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 15th December 2010, 2:23 pm

The only style I know how to do that looks decent on me (so far) is a rod set. I set it on wet hair using a half and half mix of water and Lottabody Olive Oil setting lotion...that is, after I apply my leave-in and seal the ends.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Cupcake415 15th December 2010, 2:59 pm

Butterfly125 wrote:The only style I know how to do that looks decent on me (so far) is a rod set. I set it on wet hair using a half and half mix of water and Lottabody Olive Oil setting lotion...that is, after I apply my leave-in and seal the ends.

OMG, I plan to set it while wet... YESSSSS!

And it still comes out looking cute and stuff? I really don't want to use heat!
Cupcake415
Cupcake415

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 15th December 2010, 3:53 pm

here are a couple of mines over the past couple months

blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 15th December 2010, 4:04 pm

@ Cupcake, yep, they still come out looking great!!!!
@ Blkbeuaty, that's really cute!!!
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 15th December 2010, 4:06 pm

Most stylists do not want to take the time to do a roller set on natural hair because they figure its going to take longer with detangling,styling etc. Even when I was relaxed it was hard to find stylists to do rollersets. It all comes down to how many clients they can fit in and most figure that its quicker to do other styles.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 15th December 2010, 4:30 pm

@Cupcake - Yep, cute and shiny and healthy. I haven't used heat on my hair since October. I always thought I was just one of those unfortunate people with horribly dry hair and bad dandruff...DUH! That was because of the heat...lol.

@Blkbeauty - I LOVE your hair!!! Really pretty.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 15th December 2010, 6:55 pm

thanks ladies. I washed and conditioned and used Garnier Fructis Cream Gel on each strand before wrapping on small and medium perm rods. sometimes i would sit under a dryer cap (couldnt afford a hooded dryer at the time, $10 attachment was the greatest investments) or at times would walk around the house for hours in them or sleep in them at night. The set would last me 2 weeks
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 15th December 2010, 7:23 pm

@blkbeauty2010 wow your hair is really cute..its soo shiny and full too
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by mizcreativelyme 21st December 2010, 11:05 pm

@blkbeauty - your hair came out great! I want to do one, but afraid of the frizzy aftermath after spending all of that time putting in perm rods. here's a vid I found on you tube of a roller set that came out really great...

https://www.youtube.com/user/healthyhairjourney?blend=1&ob=4#p/a/u/0/hYh2wykiEis

mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by molove87 23rd December 2010, 1:07 pm

rayray19 wrote:@blkbeauty2010 wow your hair is really cute..its soo shiny and full too

You look different with your hair pulled back vs on your face. Both styles were really cute. That's what I love about natural hair.. YOU CAN DO SO MUCH!!
molove87
molove87

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 23rd December 2010, 1:29 pm

How long does your hair have to be do to a roller set confused
I would like to do one to do something different
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by Cupcake415 23rd December 2010, 2:51 pm

Sebastain13 wrote:How long does your hair have to be do to a roller set confused
I would like to do one to do something different

I am pretty sure it can be any length, just as long as they have the right size roller/rods for your needs...

I have a twa that is about 2-inches, and I got the medium & small rods...
Cupcake415
Cupcake415

Back to top Go down

Post by 1FlySista 28th December 2010, 6:38 pm

I do them all the time with magnetic rollers or flexi rods. I use large rollers like those used in the attached video all the way down to the small straw-size flexi rods. It just depends on the look I am trying to achieve. Next time direct them suckas to Youtube or Fotki. I tell ya, ignorance isn't always bliss.